The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

And another 7m for Brendan to spend at Celtic

laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 27, 2017, 06:07:32 PM
I'm not a bit sure about Van Dijk. I've seen a couple of games recently and he looks either lazy, or disinterested. If he moves to LFC I hope he's the defensive rock people are expecting. I'm not so sure he is.
You're a bit of a pessimist though. You nearly always say 'I'm not so sure about this fella' every time Liverpool sign someone...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

Quote from: laoislad on December 27, 2017, 06:31:13 PM
I'm not a bit sure about Van Dijk. I've seen a couple of games recently and he looks either lazy, or disinterested. If he moves to LFC I hope he's the defensive rock people are expecting. I'm not so sure he is.
You're a bit of a pessimist though. You nearly always say 'I'm not so sure about this fella' every time Liverpool sign someone...

That's true. And quite a lot of the time I've been right :)

laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 27, 2017, 06:34:28 PM

And some wrong...I think you were a fan of the Benteke signing though if I remember correctly...

I agree somewhat with you though to be fair. I've also watched him a few times this season and thought he wasn't great. I'm hoping it was more down to the fact he was sulking over not getting his move in the summer.
I don't think for a minute that he is the final piece of the jigsaw though.

AZOffaly

Quote from: laoislad on December 27, 2017, 06:41:16 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 27, 2017, 06:34:28 PM

And some wrong...I think you were a fan of the Benteke signing though if I remember correctly...

I agree somewhat with you though to be fair. I've also watched him a few times this season and thought he wasn't great. I'm hoping it was more down to the fact he was sulking over not getting his move in the summer.
I don't think for a minute that he is the final piece of the jigsaw though.

I was not a fan of Benteke. I think at the time I was one of the ones who said this would be a disaster because he was not a fit for the way Liverpool tried to play.

Captain Obvious

75m for Van Dijk  :o did Liverpool employ someone daft on their transfers business?

bamboo

75m? world record for a defender? Dead right, blow city out of the water. let's win this league and get the monkey off our back. no more excuses.

AZOffaly

Quote from: bamboo on December 27, 2017, 06:52:24 PM
75m? world record for a defender? Dead right, blow city out of the water. let's win this league and get the monkey off our back. no more excuses.

I hope they're not just spending the Coutinho money in advance. They can't lose him in January.

In all seriousness, Van Dijk and Robertson, plus Gomez and TAA are probably a much more stable back 4 than they had.

Robertson Van Dijk Lovren/Matip/Gomez and TAA/Gomez/Clyne just looks a lot more stable. The style of play will always lead to concession of goals, so really what you are trying to do is minimise that by having solid defenders who will dominate their own area and not concede from set pieces or because of stupid individual errors. They'll alway concede their fair share because a lot of the time the protection is just not there, but if they stop conceding the 'preventable' goals, they'll be much improved.

Minder

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 27, 2017, 06:46:54 PM
75m for Van Dijk  :o did Liverpool employ someone daft on their transfers business?

If it's the right player it doesent matter on the fee, the clubs can all afford it

Not sure £75m should be a surprise given that was the fee widely quoted all year
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

Quote from: Minder on December 27, 2017, 06:57:39 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 27, 2017, 06:46:54 PM

If it's the right player it doesent matter on the fee, the clubs can all afford it

Not sure £75m should be a surprise given that was the fee widely quoted all year

I agree with this. £75 m is absolutely nuts, but only in the context of some sort of sane appreciation for money. We all know soccer is now officially insane when it comes to transfers and wages. To be honest it's good to see Liverpool at least being competitive at that level of player. Of course LFC won't be able to buy 5 or 6 of them, and hopefully it's not going to end up at net profit because Coutinho is sold.

Would they ever make a bid for a solid, unspectacular keeper I wonder? Someone who inspires confidence in the defence when facing a cross or a set piece, as opposed to someone who engenders chaos.

bamboo

75m for a defender though? Liverpool are showing their muscle. Money is no longer an object.

AZOffaly

Quote from: bamboo on December 27, 2017, 07:05:39 PM
75m for a defender though? Liverpool are showing their muscle. Money is no longer an object.

All I want is to be surprised when Liverpool concede a bad goal, rather than just automatically factoring in one or two per game.

laoislad

75m for a defender is no different than spending the same on a striker. You need good defenders as much as you need good attackers. Don't see why there is such a fuss over a transfer fee because he is a defender.
Liverpool already have one of the best attacks in Europe, which was assembled pretty cheaply actually when you think about it, so as Minder says it makes no difference the price if he is the right fit.
It will only be expensive if he doesn't work out.

bamboo

Nah,next years leagues over. How can anyone else compete with that?Fair play to you, do what has to be done etc

GJL

Would it not of been cheaper to just buy Southampton FC a few years ago?