Is the Micko hype Justified or just a page filler...?

Started by highorlow, January 08, 2007, 03:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bottom Brick

QuoteLaois will do well this year

Brave prediction there.
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Dinny Breen

QuoteOf course i would have loved more and really the two we lost Westmeath 04 Dublin 05 we should have won both

maybe but you won one in 2003 that you should have lost....

From a Kildare perspective I agree with Josey as he has pretty much nailed it on the head, Kildare at the moment are taking 2 steps back to go one step forward and if it wasn't for Micko I doubt if even that would be happening now.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

My views on Micko have been aired a fair few times on various incarnations of this board, so I won't bore ye with another missal. To sum up I believe

1. Micko introduced the early variety of 'puke football' to Kerry. (Witness Pat Spillane and Ogie Moran sweeping up in the half back line).
2. Micko introduced a diving culture to Kildare and Laois. Two proud counties that would not naturally go down suddenly developed amazingly slippy feet when within sight of the posts.
3. Micko is a very good tactical coach, but a cynical auld fecker who plays the media like a cheap guitar.

Also, apart from the cynicism and 'cute hoorism', I think an important factor Micko brings is simply the 'Micko factor'. In early days with teams he inspires them simply based on 'Micko says we are great, and sure he knows'. That tends to wear off though. To be honest, I think he did pretty well at Kildare, but I think he underachieved at Laois. If a local manager had only managed 1 Leinster title from that Laois production line, they'd be getting a bit of criticism, or at least a bit of 'Sure why wouldn't they win one?'. I would expect Wicklow to become competitive for a season or two, and then fade away. Micko would jump ship before it became obvious, thus preserving the legend and ensuring another offer will come his way.

ross matt

Have to agree to differ then Josey. Of course Maughan wont bring the Ross minors through just yet but they will be expected to help us win a provincial title in the future. With Laois's underage success I still argue that one senior title is very poor. AZ's point that a local Laois manager would have received heavy criticism if he only achieved the same is very valid. I accept the "Micko factor" point that someone mentioned but this in itself is fed by the media and I dont think it's benefit sustains his teams as time goes on. Anyway the title of the thread was whether the Micko hype is justified or just a page filler and I definitely say it's the latter.

youbetterbelieveit

lads it is purely down to the time of year, with micko getting two-three pages in the indo, i particularly dont see anything wrong with the hype, especially when he is going to a weak under achieving team like wicklow. if he cant get them competitive and believing they can play just as well as the rest then that is a good thing.

the opposite is happening in hurling not enough competitive teams, 

lynchbhoy

whatever about him being money mad, Micko is A GAA man and motivates whatever team he is in charge of to perform out of their skins.
He demands dedication and will run them to the ground to have them among the fittest in the country.
With fitness and belief behind you , with a a smattering of good and resolute players you can only improve on past poor performances.
Micko def kick started Kildare football and Laois also neede that jump start to help their talented but underachieving footballers to get over that psychological barrier.

AZOffaly

I think Micko has a very good eye for a team that would have potential alright. Notwithstanding my earlier comments, he seems to be able to pick a job where he knows there is a fair chance of 'relative success'. I.e. if he gets Wicklow to a Leinster final , he's done a good job there.

However, as I've said, it's almost a self-fulfilling prophesy. If the players believe they can win, then they have a great chance from the get-go. Micko telling them he thinks they can win is a huge boost, because he's seen it all before, hence they believe a bit more in themselves. As the aura fades away though, and they are running their 250th lap of the field, while listening to their mates in college talking about the latest methods being employed elsewhere, then the doubt sets in. That causes a gradual loss of form. Micko usually spots this very quickly, and abandons ship before anything disasterous happens. Everyone then remembers the good wins and stuff, and he goes away and gets another job.

ziggysego

It seems that Paddy Heaney from the Irish News has been asking the same question today in his articule.
Testing Accessibility

cavanmaniac

Good post there from Josey Whales I agree with the most of it. The real skinny on Mickey is somewhere between the two poles of this thread.

He unquestionably gives counties a massive lift and certainly leaves them in better health than he finds them, although I would agree with both points of view on laois, a. that they might not even have the one Leinster but for Micko and b. that they still should have won at least another.

Good observances from AZ Offaly there too, makes alot of sense.

On Laois this year, I think they'll need watching in what is a poor enough but generally open championship. Kearns will address their physical shortcomings and employ a more aggressive gameplan than Micko and this to me was the single biggest reason why they always faltered at the business end of the last few championships. Fuse this with the obvious footballing ability in the side and Laois will be more than a match for Leinster and may ruffle a few feathrers beyond. Dublin with questions remaining after a slightly stalled year are facing a tough challenge in 2007 with a renewed Laois, upcoming Louth, bouyant, if likely to fall short, Wicklow, Meath under a new boss and Longford also making progress of their own.

Laois look well placed in my humble opinion.

magpie seanie

QuoteIt seems that Paddy Heaney from the Irish News has been asking the same question today in his articule

I hope Ziggy that you are not suggesting that a journalist would have looked into our little goldfish bowl and stole an idea for a piece.

ziggysego

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 09, 2007, 02:56:04 PM
QuoteIt seems that Paddy Heaney from the Irish News has been asking the same question today in his articule

I hope Ziggy that you are not suggesting that a journalist would have looked into our little goldfish bowl and stole an idea for a piece.

Would I ever come out with a thing like that?  ::)
Testing Accessibility