3 Meath 1 0 0 1 -9 0
4 Mayo 1 0 0 1 -10 0

All-Ireland Quarter-Finals - Group 2

Team P W D L +/- Pts.
1 Dublin 1 1 0 0 13 2
2 Tyrone 1 1 0 0 4 2
3 Roscommon 1 0 0 1 -4 0
4 Cork 1 0 0 1 -13 0

It looks like group 2 will be all but wrapped up after next weekend with both Dublin (1/50) and Tyrone (2/7) expected to win leaving only the matter of 1st/2nd to be decided in Omagh on the final day (Dublin 3/10 favourites).

In group 1, the GAA will be hoping that either Kerry & Mayo win or Donegal & Meath so that there'll be something to play for on the last day. Any other results will mean it comes down to scoring difference and Mayo & Meath are already well behind on that.

Not looking like a great 2nd year for the super 8s

Rudi

Roscommon are unlucky having the best team and probably the second best team in the group.

Rossfan

2 bloody years running!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

It'd be great craic if there was tankings galore next year. Afterall it was only brought in for three years right? 
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Phase 3 fixtures
Meath/Kerry and Mayowestros/Donegal 6pm Sat 3rd August.
2 games in our group Sunday 4th at 4 PM.
Our game v Cork in Páirc Ui Rinn as they have to lay a new pitch in Páirc Fhrank.
I'll never get to see a game in it at this rate.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

The Boy Wonder

Were the "Super 8s" introduced on a 2-3 year trial basis or is it a permanent feature ?

If favourites Dublin and Tyrone win next weekend it would obviously make Cork-Roscommon in Round 3 meaningless.
A dead rubber match, should it arise, surely serves no purpose.
Players won't want to go through the motions and supporters should not have their loyalty tested given the costs associated with supporting your county.

Blowitupref

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on July 16, 2019, 11:49:08 PM
Were the "Super 8s" introduced on a 2-3 year trial basis or is it a permanent feature ?

If favourites Dublin and Tyrone win next weekend it would obviously make Cork-Roscommon in Round 3 meaningless.
A dead rubber match, should it arise, surely serves no purpose.
Players won't want to go through the motions and supporters should not have their loyalty tested given the costs associated with supporting your county.

Three-year trial period.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

StephenC

Don't know that there's any point in setting up a thread for the Donegal-Kerry game this weekend ....

Main news from Donegal is that Eoin Ban Gallagher is out for the rest of the year with a broken ankle sustained in training. Bitterly disappointing for a young man that was showing all-star form, as well as being very damaging to our prospects in the Super-8's.

Similar to last year when the loss of Paddy McBrearty made our Super-8 challenge even bigger.

J70

Quote from: StephenC on July 19, 2019, 01:43:30 PM
Don't know that there's any point in setting up a thread for the Donegal-Kerry game this weekend ....

Main news from Donegal is that Eoin Ban Gallagher is out for the rest of the year with a broken ankle sustained in training. Bitterly disappointing for a young man that was showing all-star form, as well as being very damaging to our prospects in the Super-8's.

Similar to last year when the loss of Paddy McBrearty made our Super-8 challenge even bigger.

I don't think he's as big a loss as Paddy was though.

McBrearty is irreplaceable. At least we have other men, albeit much less accomplished, who can come in and use speed and ball-carrying ability to try to break lines. This is a big chance for the likes of O'Baoill or Eoin McHugh.

Can't wait for this game. We'll know where we stand after this!

inthrough

Can't understand that attitude. We have a lot of cover in the half back department & while Eoghan Ban is a big loss I would be a lot more worried if we lost Patton, Murphy, Jamie or Paddy.

StephenC

Quote from: J70 on July 19, 2019, 01:52:00 PM

I don't think he's as big a loss as Paddy was though.

McBrearty is irreplaceable. At least we have other men, albeit much less accomplished, who can come in and use speed and ball-carrying ability to try to break lines. This is a big chance for the likes of O'Baoill or Eoin McHugh.

Can't wait for this game. We'll know where we stand after this!

Not, not as big a loss as Paddy but still ... our pattern of attacking play is patient lateral movement of the ball looking for someone to break the line at pace - this is usually Ryan or Ban and I think we'll miss him greatly because of that. Eoin has the pace but his decision making can be poor, while O'Baoill hasn't lived up to expectations this summer.

Agree that this will be the game that tells us where we're at. Should be a good one.

StephenC

Quote from: inthrough on July 19, 2019, 02:58:28 PM

Can't understand that attitude. We have a lot of cover in the half back department & while Eoghan Ban is a big loss I would be a lot more worried if we lost Patton, Murphy, Jamie or Paddy.

As I mentioned to J70, I don't see the cover being able to contribute as Ban had this year.

yellowcard

Time to scrap this league format in the middle of a championship. Was never a fan to begin with but it's even worse than I thought no matter how hard the media tries to hype the games up.

RedHand88

Quote from: yellowcard on July 21, 2019, 01:22:37 PM
Time to scrap this league format in the middle of a championship. Was never a fan to begin with but it's even worse than I thought no matter how hard the media tries to hype the games up.

Wonder would Tyrone take second place now if they could skip the Dublin game. Can't see any incentive to winning it, there's no preference between Kerry and Donegal.

GalwayBayBoy

The hurling has the right system. Round robin at the beginning followed by straight knock out games.

The football has this bolted on round robin system at the latter end of the championship.