Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

The only fact is that you are either good enough to win the championship or you are not.
That was never a square ball!!

Angelo

Quote from: lenny on May 03, 2020, 04:22:42 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 03, 2020, 03:52:55 PM
Quote from: lenny on May 03, 2020, 03:41:45 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 03, 2020, 01:56:27 PM
Quote from: lenny on May 03, 2020, 01:49:42 PM
Quote from: rrhf on May 01, 2020, 04:10:36 PM
What is shocking about that interview is the biggest fake news in the history of the GAA. Pure balder dash that is being pedalled as fact or that that Derry team were destined for 2 or 3 sam maguires. 1/ the county didn't and would never have had the togetherness to hold it together for more than a few months ever without killing one another.. rows were always bubbling - it's just how much weight you put on each one.  2/ from the time there were tales of mad fighting among players as well for all sorts of reasons- easy to blame Mickey Moran for that auld caper perhaps Joe?
That Derry team had  2 great corner backs/ a brilliant 6 a super
Midfield - well tohill had a shocker In the game that lost their title and 2 scoring forwards Brolly And Gormley. Nothing exceptional  about the group but the achievement in winning 1 all Ireland was a great feat for them. It will probably  never happen again for them instead of looking back derry football now needs to look forward..... to the 50 year anniversary. 
3/ Another point I would make is that the hateful blaming  of Moran dosent take away from the fact that against down as holders having the game of his life and a bit of rough moves on to him he stopped playing.. and This great Derry team lost. They were very easy to figure out... This was a great Derry team but down were better and won 2 and no doubt had plenty of tensions to manage also, but compared to the quality of Armagh and Tyrone in the noughties they were not a great team. To sum it up they were a great league team who got it together to win a championship but Coleman or no Coleman row they would not have won any more. That is fact.
4/ a final pick up from the interview is that joe had broken his arm in 1995. He was one of the 2 scoring forwards they had so it's not mickeys fault he had a broken arm. Yet Mickey gets the blame. Jody Gormley marked tohill out of it in 95. That was 2 years in a row that he had a poor day out at his peak. Jody Gormley should not have been for to lace tohills boots... why? Happened again too.
5/ the 90s was an unforgettable glorious era for Ulster football and both Donegal and Derry had their year out of it, but down won 2. They were the best team from Ulster during this period. Ulster team of the decade in my eyes. If joe thinks a One time team like Derry were great then he must have some-admiration for Mickey Harte's Tyrone team of the noughties.....

Too many people are comparing the Derry team of the 90s unfavourably v the tyrone team of the noughties. The only fair way to compare them is to compare like with like and if you do that you see that both teams won one all ireland through the front door. That makes them equal. Personally like many others I think with a back door Derry would've won at least 3 more all irelands which would put us one up on tyrone. I say that because I feel that Derry team all round was a stronger team than tyrone of the noughties albeit I have a lot of respect for that tyrone team. Don't forget that Derry won 4 national leagues in that time while tyrone only won 2 national leagues with their good team. That indicates to me that Derry were just a bit more consistent and if given the same back door chances tyrone got would definitely have capitalised.

The only way to compare them is Tyrone won three whereas Derry won one.

The culture of egotism, treachery and lack of humility meant Derry only won the one.

I'm going to ignore your opinion and once again remind you of the facts. To compare anything you have to do it like with like. It's hard to compare teams from different times but here are the like with like statistics. Derry 1 all Ireland and 4 national leagues Tyrone 1 all Ireland and 2 national leagues. Those are the facts, anything else is just opinion.

Sounds like you're doing a good job of ignoring the facts right enough.

Tyrone 3 All Irelands
Derry 1 All Ireland

To win 3 All Irelands, Derry would need to have won three times the amount they actually did.

It's gas the way it has Derry lads driven demented, maybe it's a good release in a way, as they just look across the county border for a bogeyman now rather than savage one of their own.

National leagues?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Paidi reckons the Kerry fans were animals, the Derry lads are worse if truth be told, although you could only count about 10 of them at a game anymore.

Once again I'll ignore your ignorant opinions. I've presented you with undeniable, unarguable facts. Anything else is just opinion.

You seem to be doing a good job of ignoring facts.

3>1

Let that bitterness exit your system or it will keep holding you back.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

JoG2

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 03, 2020, 05:05:19 PM
The only fact is that you are either good enough to win the championship or you are not.

God bless the backdoor, she's been good to you boys in the new era of championship football . I'll leave it at that because you Tyrone hooers aren't near wise!

From the Bunker

The regretful thing for Tyrone during the golden years is that Mickey Harte had top players bursting their arses to win McKenna Cups in the winter.  If he had held back for this competition they may have claimed at least another AI title. You'd never get Kerry Lads doing the same with the McGrath Cup. Kerry won no McGrath Cups in the 00's. Minded their players and had a lot of their top players playing well into their 30's!

uimhr ocht

One of the 93 players in an interview said they wouldnt have won the all ireland in 93 without Mickey morans input as coach and planning training sessions,he had to miss a training session before a big game and Eamon took the session and i think the quote from player was ran the legs of them a week before the match and were beaten thus in that game.In hindsight he shouldnt have taken over in 95 but that derry team in 96,97,98,underacheived,Brian mullins came in and things settled down a bit.Derry have 7 National Titles,6 National leagues,1 all ireland,during the 90 era when they had a capable team they hadnt a safety net like tyrone had in 05,08,its churlish for tyronies to rubbish league titles when they spout how many mc kenna cups they have won.

Gaafan2

Quote from: hardstation on May 03, 2020, 07:01:34 PM
Do Tyrone people spout about how many McKenna cups they've won? First I've heard of it.

Exactly, fans of other counties (predominantly Derry wans) use it as a tool to attack Tyrone and/or Micky Harte. Never once have I heard of Tyrone people quoting the McKenna Cup roll of honour ::)

redzone

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 03, 2020, 06:30:49 PM
The regretful thing for Tyrone during the golden years is that Mickey Harte had top players bursting their arses to win McKenna Cups in the winter.  If he had held back for this competition they may have claimed at least another AI title. You'd never get Kerry Lads doing the same with the McGrath Cup. Kerry won no McGrath Cups in the 00's. Minded their players and had a lot of their top players playing well into their 30's!
We might have nothing either without the attitude of winning every game we played. The fact plenty of newbies were tryed with a few different regulars ervery game worked well for us and still does. The team only trained once a night on the field up until the middle of the league and still do so hardly busting a gut  Every manager has his own way of doing things I guess

screenexile

lenny

Quote from: Angelo on May 03, 2020, 05:31:00 PM
What is shocking about that interview is the biggest fake news in the history of the GAA. Pure balder dash that is being pedalled as fact or that that Derry team were destined for 2 or 3 sam maguires. 1/ the county didn't and would never have had the togetherness to hold it together for more than a few months ever without killing one another.. rows were always bubbling - it's just how much weight you put on each one.  2/ from the time there were tales of mad fighting among players as well for all sorts of reasons- easy to blame Mickey Moran for that auld caper perhaps Joe?
Midfield - well tohill had a shocker In the game that lost their title and 2 scoring forwards Brolly And Gormley. Nothing exceptional  about the group but the achievement in winning 1 all Ireland was a great feat for them. It will probably  never happen again for them instead of looking back derry football now needs to look forward..... to the 50 year anniversary. 
3/ Another point I would make is that the hateful blaming  of Moran dosent take away from the fact that against down as holders having the game of his life and a bit of rough moves on to him he stopped playing.. and This great Derry team lost. They were very easy to figure out... This was a great Derry team but down were better and won 2 and no doubt had plenty of tensions to manage also, but compared to the quality of Armagh and Tyrone in the noughties they were not a great team. To sum it up they were a great league team who got it together to win a championship but Coleman or no Coleman row they would not have won any more. That is fact.
4/ a final pick up from the interview is that joe had broken his arm in 1995. He was one of the 2 scoring forwards they had so it's not mickeys fault he had a broken arm. Yet Mickey gets the blame. Jody Gormley marked tohill out of it in 95. That was 2 years in a row that he had a poor day out at his peak. Jody Gormley should not have been for to lace tohills boots... why? Happened again too.
5/ the 90s was an unforgettable glorious era for Ulster football and both Donegal and Derry had their year out of it, but down won 2. They were the best team from Ulster during this period. Ulster team of the decade in my eyes. If joe thinks a One time team like Derry were great then he must have some-admiration for Mickey Harte's Tyrone team of the noughties.....

Too many people are comparing the Derry team of the 90s unfavourably v the tyrone team of the noughties. The only fair way to compare them is to compare like with like and if you do that you see that both teams won one all ireland through the front door. That makes them equal. Personally like many others I think with a back door Derry would've won at least 3 more all irelands which would put us one up on tyrone. I say that because I feel that Derry team all round was a stronger team than tyrone of the noughties albeit I have a lot of respect for that tyrone team. Don't forget that Derry won 4 national leagues in that time while tyrone only won 2 national leagues with their good team. That indicates to me that Derry were just a bit more consistent and if given the same back door chances tyrone got would definitely have capitalised.

The culture of egotism, treachery and lack of humility meant Derry only won the one.

I'm going to ignore your opinion and once again remind you of the facts. To compare anything you have to do it like with like. It's hard to compare teams from different times but here are the like with like statistics. Derry 1 all Ireland and 4 national leagues Tyrone 1 all Ireland and 2 national leagues. Those are the facts, anything else is just opinion.

Tyrone 3 All Irelands
Derry 1 All Ireland

To win 3 All Irelands, Derry would need to have won three times the amount they actually did.

It's gas the way it has Derry lads driven demented, maybe it's a good release in a way, as they just look across the county border for a bogeyman now rather than savage one of their own.

Paidi reckons the Kerry fans were animals, the Derry lads are worse if truth be told, although you could only count about 10 of them at a game anymore.

Once again I'll ignore your ignorant opinions. I've presented you with undeniable, unarguable facts. Anything else is just opinion.

3>1

Lol, your lack of self awareness is incredible. I'll let neutrals look over the last few pages of this thread and decide on who is bitter.

From the Bunker

Quote from: redzone on May 03, 2020, 07:32:23 PM
We might have nothing either without the attitude of winning every game we played. The fact plenty of newbies were tryed with a few different regulars ervery game worked well for us and still does. The team only trained once a night on the field up until the middle of the league and still do so hardly busting a gut  Every manager has his own way of doing things I guess

Yes, but the Tyrone Golden Generation won at minor and Under 21. They had long seasons before they hit Senior football.  Most were crocked when they reached their late 20's. On the other hand Kerry wrapped their stars in cotton wool over the winter. Players like the O'Sé's, Donaghy, Cooper, Brosnan, Declan/Darren O'Sullivan, O'Mahony and Walsh where still doing a job for Kerry in the 2010's.

Angelo

Quote from: lenny on May 03, 2020, 09:46:33 PM

Tyrone 3 All Irelands
Derry 1 All Ireland

3>1

Lol, your lack of self awareness is incredible. I'll let neutrals look over the last few pages of this thread and decide on who is bitter.

You do that, Lenny.

I have great sympathy for a good man like Mickey Moran and how he is savaged by his own.

Introspection is certainly lacking with the Derry animals. A culture of bogeymen and scapegoats is why Derry have turned from big guns to basement dwellers.

Angelo

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 03, 2020, 10:34:19 PM
Quote from: redzone on May 03, 2020, 07:32:23 PM

Yes, but the Tyrone Golden Generation won at minor and Under 21. They had long seasons before they hit Senior football.  Most were crocked when they reached their late 20's. On the other hand Kerry wrapped their stars in cotton wool over the winter. Players like the O'Sé's, Donaghy, Cooper, Brosnan, Declan/Darren O'Sullivan, O'Mahony and Walsh where still doing a job for Kerry in the 2010's.

The McKenna Cups weren't an issue, it was more having to pit players into the bear's den of Ulster Championship in May when they may not have been ready. As much as people say Tyrone benefited from the qualifiers, it's a road full of dangers. Mayo will know that from the scares they had in recent years - Fermanagh, Derry and Cork come to the top of my head.

The McKenna Cups have largely been won with loads of a new faces and a few experienced heads, it's a myth that Harte has the whole squad going full pelt in January.

Kerry had the advantage of playing in a farcical provincial championship which allowed them to tailor their plans for late July/August every year without worry so it's hardly a fair comparison.

A few guys picked up bad injuries that had nothing to do with being flogged - McGuigan missed the guts of two seasons in that All Ireland winning period with a double leg break and a serious eye injury. Enda McGinley had a fractured spine and a fractured skull. Cormac McAnallen sadly passed away. Ger Cavlan dropped himself off the panel for a while, Kevin Hughes went travelling for a year. Guys like Gormley, McMenamin, Dooher and Sean Cavanagh were some of the players who were able to see out their careers with little injury problems.

Silver hill

On the money Angelo....Moran played a major roll in the 93 success as a trainer. Anyone close to the squad or who knows anything about Derry football at the time will know this. Unfortunately, he didn't believe he got the public recognition he deserved. It wasn't enough for him that the players knew what he had contributed. He was jealous of Eamon, plain and simple. His treachery, ego and lack of humility ended Eamons role. Don't forget Moran and Gribben were also embedded in the co board and were well placed to influence the thinking and plant the seeds. Eamon was in Chicago and had no one from his back room team batting for him. Do not be fooled by his fake public persona.

Angelo

Quote from: Silver hill on May 03, 2020, 11:26:44 PM

On the money Angelo....Moran played a major roll in the 93 success as a trainer. Anyone close to the squad or who knows anything about Derry football at the time will know this. Unfortunately, he didn't believe he got the public recognition he deserved. It wasn't enough for him that the players knew what he had contributed. He was jealous of Eamon, plain and simple. His treachery, ego and lack of humility ended Eamons role. Don't forget Moran and Gribben were also embedded in the co board and were well placed to influence the thinking and plant the seeds. Eamon was in Chicago and had no one from his back room team batting for him. Do not be fooled by his fake public persona.

A classic case of a Derry man.

Scapegoats and bogeymen.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Angelo on May 03, 2020, 10:41:19 PM
Quote from: lenny on May 03, 2020, 09:46:33 PM

Tyrone 3 All Irelands
Derry 1 All Ireland

3>1

You do that, Lenny.

I have great sympathy for a good man like Mickey Moran and how he is savaged by his own.

Introspection is certainly lacking with the Derry animals. A culture of bogeymen and scapegoats is why Derry have turned from big guns to basement dwellers.

Jesus Angelo went in strong here  :o