Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Hound on December 13, 2016, 08:50:16 AM
Quote from: muppet on December 12, 2016, 02:59:32 PM
Sugarman is demanding an enquiry into something that would probably bring down our economy.

He has the moral high ground, certainly, but since McCreevy and Harney, our 'best little country to do business in' model is based on light touch regulation. And light touch means DON'T TOUCH.

We would lose most of our banking industry (and a few other sectors) overnight if we start having real investigations.

Personally, I think its wrong to blame McCreevy and Harney for that. Yes, we did not have heavy red-tape regulation. But our light touch regulation absolutely did not mean "Don't Touch". That was a case of the regulators being under the thumb of the bankers. There is not a hope that McCreevy or Harney would have agreed that a Regulator should ignore the lighter rules that were in place.   

Quote from: muppet on December 12, 2016, 04:19:16 PM

When it comes to shipping, Irish-owned vessels are registered in places like Bahamas, Bermuda, Cambodia, Cyprus, France, Malta, Marshall Islands, Panama (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flags_of_convenience)

Dirty rotten flags of convenience b'stards.

But when it comes to aviation: http://www.thejournal.ie/aircraft-leasing-ireland-640059-Oct2012/ Half of the world's aviation fleet now managed from Ireland

This of course is great news and is all down to our genius, our tax regime and etc......

What do you think is wrong with this?
Aircraft leasing sector is a very successful niche for the country. Employs over 1,000 people (and very well paid!). Our tax regime is good, but absolutely nothing "hairy" about it or anything that the EU or OECD have ever complained about. Irish companies get capital allowances based only on genuine expenditure incurred on the cost of the aircraft, and pay tax on their profits at 12.5%.
Like any good venture, success breeds success. We've become known to have the expertise in this country for aircarft leasing, so more and more keep coming.
Not sure what anyone would have to moan about that? 

Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 13, 2016, 07:47:26 AM
Didn't want to give the Indo the page views by reading it on their site so missed it until now, that is a disgraceful article.

Just the extremely distasteful Kevin Lynch paragraph or all of it?
Is it wrong to equate the sectarian massacre in January 1976 of three South Armagh brothers with the Kingsmill atrocity and the Claudy bombing?

They are here neither for our expertise, nor our tax regime.

And it isn't just leasing companies that register their aircraft here.

Why do you think Norwegian is coming here? We have Alitalia, FedEx, DHL and UPS operated aircraft registered here. The one that went down in Columbia used to be owned here.

Same as the banking.
MWWSI 2017

Hound

Quote from: muppet on December 13, 2016, 10:29:09 PM

Why do you think Norwegian is coming here? We have Alitalia, FedEx, DHL and UPS operated aircraft registered here. The one that went down in Columbia used to be owned here.

Same as the banking.
You're mixing apples and oranges, using smoke and mirrors, and saying nothing of substance. And on the Joe Brolly thread of all places!

Owenmoresider

Quote from: In hiding on December 13, 2016, 07:58:12 PM
Hard to find civilised rational Rossies
Fixed that for you.

Jinxy

Hard to beat civilised rational Rossies

There mustn't be many on the county team.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Shligos and Meaths commenting on Rational and Civilised :o
Oxymoron territory.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: Hound on December 14, 2016, 09:00:28 AM
Quote from: muppet on December 13, 2016, 10:29:09 PM

Same as the banking.
You're mixing apples and oranges, using smoke and mirrors, and saying nothing of substance. And on the Joe Brolly thread of all places!

I am saying that Ireland is a flag of convenience in both banking and aviation.

You appear to believe otherwise. Fine.
MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

Hard to beat civilised rational Rossies
'Tis indeed.
I mean how can ye bate them when you can't find any to bate? ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

redhandefender

My understanding of the GAA was to promote Gaelic games and gaelic culture throughout the island of ireland no matter what your creed, culture or religion. Especially not the religion issue.

It is also my understanding that the GAA pre dates both the anthem and flag.

Personally I love both. If we truly want to be an open association then you have to make changes in the north to make one side of the community feel they can come on board. I don't need the anthem played or flag raised to tell me i am irish and i think it could be adopted at some sort of level. I would have no issue. Some in the deeply entrenched areas will never agree to any concession. They are exactly the same as those from the other side of the coomunity and there "never, never, never" shouts about removing the union jack. They feel threatened.

We should be strong in our identity and organisation that we can make concessions in certain parts of the country to bring the other side of the community on board and make them feel welcome. Instead of behaving like a kid who wants to hide away his best toy.

Brollys article was disgusting and divisive and made references to highly emotional events from the troubles without having any relevance to the point he was making. He is a horrible egotistical man who has completely lost the run of himself. He has no idea about the modern game at all

Applesisapples

Quote from: redhandefender on December 14, 2016, 09:50:25 PM
My understanding of the GAA was to promote Gaelic games and gaelic culture throughout the island of ireland no matter what your creed, culture or religion. Especially not the religion issue.

Personally I love both. If we truly want to be an open association then you have to make changes in the north to make one side of the community feel they can come on board. I don't need the anthem played or flag raised to tell me i am irish and i think it could be adopted at some sort of level. I would have no issue. Some in the deeply entrenched areas will never agree to any concession. They are exactly the same as those from the other side of the coomunity and there "never, never, never" shouts about removing the union jack. They feel threatened.

We should be strong in our identity and organisation that we can make concessions in certain parts of the country to bring the other side of the community on board and make them feel welcome. Instead of behaving like a kid who wants to hide away his best toy.

Brollys article was disgusting and divisive and made references to highly emotional events from the troubles without having any relevance to the point he was making. He is a horrible egotistical man who has completely lost the run of himself. He has no idea about the modern game at all
Your thoughts above would be on the money if the north had equality. Unfortunately it doesn't orange unionist culture pervades and dominates everything. The GAA is the only real tangible expression of an Irish identity in the north. Every other symbol of state is unionist and red white and blue. I would be all for the dropping of anthems and flags, but only in the context of respect for the nationalist Irish culture. Unfortunately I don't see that happening anytime soon.

ck

+1
Well said

redhandefender

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 15, 2016, 09:32:06 AM

Your thoughts above would be on the money if the north had equality. Unfortunately it doesn't orange unionist culture pervades and dominates everything. The GAA is the only real tangible expression of an Irish identity in the north. Every other symbol of state is unionist and red white and blue. I would be all for the dropping of anthems and flags, but only in the context of respect for the nationalist Irish culture. Unfortunately I don't see that happening anytime soon.

You can't wave one big brush stroke over the north like you have. Different areas will create different views on equality etc. The Protestant/Unionists I know respect Gaelic and the culture behind it. There are obviously those that never will. The mature way of dealing with it is to reach out to those that to respect it and bring them on board without fear. That leaves the others isolated in their own bigoted beliefs. It can still be an expression of your irish identity. You don't even need to do away with flags and anthems at every game its just a token concession to throw out the welcome mat and be proud of the Sport and association which the likes of brolly seem determined to knock.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: In hiding on December 13, 2016, 07:21:39 PM
Its easy to get annoyed by Brolly, he would sicken your sh1te sometimes. But...
Why do some people feel the need to try appease everyone in this country. The Super Bowl, World Series etc all have the Star Spangled Banner belted out before they start. The Aussie Rules Grand Final has the anthem before it. God Save The Queen gets a rattle before the FA Cup and no one thinks it is wrong. Is Irelands Call necessary ? I don't think it is.
Worldwide before major sporting events the national anthem of the country is played and creates a great atmosphere.
I agree with Joe on this one
I know what you mean alright but Joe went waaay overboard in his reaction to what Ó Fearghail had to say. There was little point in dragging the murder of the Reaveys into the discussion as the bastuds who carried out this atrocity wouldn't or won't change their minds if the mere flying of the tricolour and the singing of Amhrán na bhFiann were dispensed with. Their hatred of all things Nationalist predates 1692 and the Battle of the Boyne. You could say it began with the Plantation of Ulster in 1606.
These friggers won't be changing their mindset in our generation or many more to come.
Likewise the scum that murdered innocent workers at Kingsmill for the 'crime' of being Protestants weren't too worried about reaching out to anyone or working towards any sort of compromise on this island.
There is no point in re-fighting the past; we can only hope to learn from the mistakes that were made back then and try not to repeat them in the future.  I think Ó Fearghail made some pretty valid points and there was no logical reason for Brolly or anyone else going ballistic and dragging our sordid past into the argument. The Reaveys were murdered because they were vulnerable Catholics and not because they were members of the GAA.
Someday, the questions posed by Ó Fearghail will have to be considered and I hope those who are involved will think of their futures and those of their children and not, like Brolly, harking back to the horrors of the past.
Whether we like it or not, Amhrán na bhFIann is sectarian and is perceived as such by the majority of Unionists.  The same is to be said about the flying of the tricolour in Norn Iron. I know many won't agree with me but I'm thinking of those who do, many are Catholics but the majority are Unionists.
Ó Fearghail attempted to start a discussion; Brolly attempted to drive the wedge of sectarianism even deeper in the gulf between the two traditions on the island. As for the playing of the national anthems in other countries at sporting events, it's well to remember that those anthems represent all shades of opinions and beliefs in their respective countries. The same can't be said about our one; it stands for discord and not unity of the people of Ireland.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

OgraAnDun

How on earth is Amhrán na bhFiann sectarian? Not one mention of religion in the lyrics. Overtly republican and militaristic, yes, but not in any way sectarian. The last time I stood on the pitch or in the stands and looked at the tricolour while singing the anthem had nothing to do with religion, nor did the decision to fly the flag in the first place. It's an expression of Irish identity and nothing to do with sectarianism.

Applesisapples

Quote from: redhandefender on December 15, 2016, 10:16:45 AM

You can't wave one big brush stroke over the north like you have. Different areas will create different views on equality etc. The Protestant/Unionists I know respect Gaelic and the culture behind it. There are obviously those that never will. The mature way of dealing with it is to reach out to those that to respect it and bring them on board without fear. That leaves the others isolated in their own bigoted beliefs. It can still be an expression of your irish identity. You don't even need to do away with flags and anthems at every game its just a token concession to throw out the welcome mat and be proud of the Sport and association which the likes of brolly seem determined to knock.
OK then name me on symbol of this state that recognises the Irish Identity? They can't even make St Patrick's Day a Public Holiday FFS.

redhandefender

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 15, 2016, 02:47:33 PM
Quote from: redhandefender on December 15, 2016, 10:16:45 AM

OK then name me on symbol of this state that recognises the Irish Identity? They can't even make St Patrick's Day a Public Holiday FFS.

Sorry what? I never mentioned nor want anything to do with discussing symbols of the state on a GAA board nor any board. Go over to twitter and argue with your opposite number Jamie Bryson. I am not saying the GAA should pander to the DUP or state. I am saying I have no problem and think it goes with the ethos of the association to make it more welcoming for the unionist community who respect the values of the organisation.