Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

I think there's a generational divide here.
Brolly belongs to a different era than Rob Henelly in many ways and none more clearly defined than the way in which they communicate with others around them; especially those in their own age group.
People like Rob and younger will look to Facebook, Twitter or whatever to express their opinions and to pass on and receive news. Was talking to a young (23-ish) neighbour about Hennelly's tweet and Brolly's reaction and the best my young pal could think of was that Brolly belonged to the past and has lost touch with the times we live in.
Well, okay, what he said was that to people of his age group, the likes of Brolly are not right in the head.
Bob chose to use social media to express his feelings, which is what any of his contemporaries would do and Brolly, with feck all else to do, rows in with his tuppence worth as if the offending statement had been printed in bold type across the front page of the Irish Times.

I'd go further and say that I doubt if even one single Mayo supporter would give two fucks about anything Brolly has had to say about Hennelly or anyone else. He's a neighbour's child, in a manner of speaking, and we are quite happy with that.
Brolly's stuck in a time warp of his own making and for the good of mankind, I hope he never gets out.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

criostlinn

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 10, 2016, 07:29:13 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 10, 2016, 07:06:43 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 10, 2016, 06:49:50 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 10, 2016, 06:38:04 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 10, 2016, 05:31:39 PM
I guess I agree with Tony Soprano. Where are all the strong silent types gone these days? We are left with generation snowflake who need hugs and kisses every time they have a setback, try and take it on the chin for a change. I have a very cynical disposition toward the mental well being and mindfulness that is being pushed at every angle now and the money certain people and companies are making out of this.
Not drinking themselves to poverty or death like many of them used to.

That's just the Irish though.

You didn't see Bobby Baggio coming out penning opening messages to the Italian public when he skied that penalty over the bar in 94. I think there is a humility in taking things on the chin and having the dignity to let a mistake settle and redeem yourself in actions rather than words. I think Hennelly would have been better served going down that route.
Not sure what something over 20 years ago has to do with it, nor has nationality, but unless you're Hennelly's shrink then you've no idea of what way of coping emotionally suits him best.,

Both players were blamed for their respective teams not winning a major trophy in their respective sports due to a mistake they made. They both chose different ways to deal with that and I much preferred the humility of Baggio's choice. For me, it felt like Hennelly was hoping he would get cut some slack for coming out and expressing his remorse.

Nationality is there as you brought alcoholism into it and it has been more of an Irish way to deal with problems than other nationalities. You see I guess that's what I'm getting at - it's not all about Robbie Hennelly - of course you feel sorry for him but I think he's doing this for him which I guess wouldn't sit well with me if he cost his team - might be a glib way to look at it but that's how I view it.

Paul Durcan cost his side with a grave error in an All Ireland final 2 years ago but as far as I know he didn't do what Hennelly did.

http://www.the42.ie/paul-durcan-on-mistake-donegal-kerry-1776773-Nov2014/?amp=1

sinabhuil

More bullshit. People talk about mindfullness and being able to talk. When a young man has one tweet in gods knows how long about one of the most traumatic events in his life and he gets this bullshit from an old fella who still thinks he is one of the lads. This guy helps kids with CF and then he comes out with this about a guy who has just expressed his deepest emotions. He needs to think more about what he writes and the effect of it. Claiming free press just shows he is not really a GAA man just another greedy hack. 

longballin

Quote from: whitey on October 10, 2016, 05:07:36 PM
Quote from: longballin on October 10, 2016, 05:02:13 PM
Quote from: whitey on October 10, 2016, 04:50:01 PM
. Watching the game in a room full of Mayo people stateside, who are getting real time social media updates from friends and family who are in Croke Park, I actually feared for the lads wellbeing with what I was hearing and seeing.

I don't know Hennelly personally and I am gone so long from Mayo that  I only know a few people who are loosely connected with the panel but in the immediate aftermath of the game I actually contemplated reaching out to one such person to make sure someone was keeping an eye out for him. I can only guess that his parents/family/friends were thinking exactly the same thing and I felt very relieved when I saw the statement that he's now being maligned for

(Another Mayo club not a million miles from Breaffy suffered a double tragedy last year  that could have been averted if people were paying closer attention)

you dont know if it could have been alerted or not... had someone very close to me take his life and everything was done to try and help him... so you don't know that

Sorry for your loss, but if you knew the specifics of the situation in question you may have a different opinion. (I should have said "most likely" could have been averted)

ok, delicate subject... peace and love

iorras

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 10, 2016, 07:29:13 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 10, 2016, 07:06:43 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 10, 2016, 06:49:50 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 10, 2016, 06:38:04 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 10, 2016, 05:31:39 PM
I guess I agree with Tony Soprano. Where are all the strong silent types gone these days? We are left with generation snowflake who need hugs and kisses every time they have a setback, try and take it on the chin for a change. I have a very cynical disposition toward the mental well being and mindfulness that is being pushed at every angle now and the money certain people and companies are making out of this.
Not drinking themselves to poverty or death like many of them used to.

That's just the Irish though.

You didn't see Bobby Baggio coming out penning opening messages to the Italian public when he skied that penalty over the bar in 94. I think there is a humility in taking things on the chin and having the dignity to let a mistake settle and redeem yourself in actions rather than words. I think Hennelly would have been better served going down that route.
Not sure what something over 20 years ago has to do with it, nor has nationality, but unless you're Hennelly's shrink then you've no idea of what way of coping emotionally suits him best.,

Both players were blamed for their respective teams not winning a major trophy in their respective sports due to a mistake they made. They both chose different ways to deal with that and I much preferred the humility of Baggio's choice. For me, it felt like Hennelly was hoping he would get cut some slack for coming out and expressing his remorse.

Nationality is there as you brought alcoholism into it and it has been more of an Irish way to deal with problems than other nationalities. You see I guess that's what I'm getting at - it's not all about Robbie Hennelly - of course you feel sorry for him but I think he's doing this for him which I guess wouldn't sit well with me if he cost his team - might be a glib way to look at it but that's how I view it.

Paul Durcan cost his side with a grave error in an All Ireland final 2 years ago but as far as I know he didn't do what Hennelly did.
As far as I know there was no social media in 1994. Again Hennelly posted a message on social media TO THE MAYO FANS. he did not hold a press conference.
Yeah Paul Durcan did something much less drastic than posting on social media to the fans, he emigrated to the middle east and hasn't been back much since.

iorras

Quote from: sinabhuil on October 10, 2016, 09:01:41 PM
More bullshit. People talk about mindfullness and being able to talk. When a young man has one tweet in gods knows how long about one of the most traumatic events in his life and he gets this bullshit from an old fella who still thinks he is one of the lads. This guy helps kids with CF and then he comes out with this about a guy who has just expressed his deepest emotions. He needs to think more about what he writes and the effect of it. Claiming free press just shows he is not really a GAA man just another greedy hack.
100% agree.
I despair at Joe Brolly but do believe he has some serious mental issues so perhaps he is to be pitied.
I despair even more that some people cant see how wrong the opinion Joe is expressing is, and even worse some people even agree with him.
I just hope those people never have any misfortune in their lives, and if they do, please don't come looking for any sympathy or a helping hand. If that's your attitude to life and to other people then you don't deserve it. However having said that, most of us are decent enough to realise that even if you are completely wrong in your outlook, we'd still help someone out regardless.
It doesn't sound like Joe or his disciples are capable of that basic humanity and that is their loss.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: ZeitChrist on October 10, 2016, 06:26:10 PM
I certainly don't want to pile in on Robbie Hennelly, but he had a very poor day and he needs to take some of the criticism on the chin, as well as Rochford. It's not fair to simply say that it's all on Rochford for picking him, as some have been suggesting. Hennelly made himself available for selection this year and presumably he wanted to play. It's up to him to justify being picked on the day and he didn't. I'm not going to police the guy's personal social media account, but surely there's something to be said for dealing with these things away from the glare of the media? I know he wanted to have his say, but he didn't have to justify himself to the world. He had a bad day. It happens to a lot of players. Just take your medicine and move on.

That said, I don't think there's any need to keep putting the boot in and going over the issue again and again. Brolly's agenda regarding the GPA in his criticism of Robbie Hennelly is obvious and I don't really have a whole lot of time for his opinions generally. Too frequently he claims to be an authority on every ill within the game, and acts as though he knows exactly what's "wrong" with certain teams, or bemoans the creeping professionalism of the game, while also w**king over Dublin at every available opportunity. And he seems utterly incapable of leaving personal criticisms out of it and actually seems to enjoy going after individuals and launching crusades against certain people in the media. Takes a particularly nasty type of person to do that.

I know that's the popular opinion but did he really?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 11, 2016, 09:27:05 AM
I certainly don't want to pile in on Robbie Hennelly, but he had a very poor day and he needs to take some of the criticism on the chin, as well as Rochford. It's not fair to simply say that it's all on Rochford for picking him, as some have been suggesting. Hennelly made himself available for selection this year and presumably he wanted to play. It's up to him to justify being picked on the day and he didn't. I'm not going to police the guy's personal social media account, but surely there's something to be said for dealing with these things away from the glare of the media? I know he wanted to have his say, but he didn't have to justify himself to the world. He had a bad day. It happens to a lot of players. Just take your medicine and move on.

That said, I don't think there's any need to keep putting the boot in and going over the issue again and again. Brolly's agenda regarding the GPA in his criticism of Robbie Hennelly is obvious and I don't really have a whole lot of time for his opinions generally. Too frequently he claims to be an authority on every ill within the game, and acts as though he knows exactly what's "wrong" with certain teams, or bemoans the creeping professionalism of the game, while also w**king over Dublin at every available opportunity. And he seems utterly incapable of leaving personal criticisms out of it and actually seems to enjoy going after individuals and launching crusades against certain people in the media. Takes a particularly nasty type of person to do that.

Yes he did. No getting away from that.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on October 11, 2016, 11:05:50 AM

Outline where he came up so short so?

Rudi

Brolly is a conflicted individual, with obvious head problems.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 11, 2016, 11:12:23 AM

Poor kickout resulted in Keegan getting a black card and Dublin scoring simple point.
Dropping a ball an U-12 keeper would hold onto resulted in pen and him getting a black card.
That's 1-1 Mayo conceded that came directly from his errors.
I'd say that's a pretty bad day at the office. No??

rosnarun

The issue is not whether a particular player had a bad day or not . An opinion  on that is fair game and make for a lot of the chat and craic about football.
the issue is a billing attempt by Brolly to rob Robbie of a right to express his opinion what ever way he see fit and Attack his character into the bargin.
this not a fair row as Brolly has the all the powers of the national Media of official Ireland to hammer a player he sees in a weak position and I find that Disgusting
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Lar Naparka

In my eyes, Joe is a compulsive attention seeker and often mars his contributions, which can be insightful, with puerile jokes and carefully planned "off the cuff" witticisms that makes his fellow panelists come across as rocket scientists by comparison.
Some years ago, Monaghan played Tyrone (I think) in an Ulster final. Tommy Freeman who works as a roofer badly injured his right hand. While working on a roof, he managed to drive a Hilti nail through his hand. There was considerable doubt about his fitness to play in the run in to the game and when he did appear, his right hand was heavily bandaged.
O'Rourke and the other pair in the studio expressed their sympathies and praised the man for his grit and determination to play despite the obvious pain.
Brolly, on the other hand, found something to laugh about in Freeman's misfortune and kept wisecracking about his carelessness from beginning to end.
At one stage as Freeman prepared to take a free, Brolly chipped in with a snide remark along the lines of he'd better be more careful with the free than he was with his nail guin or God knows what damage he might do.
None of the others from beginning to end paid any attention to his smart arse, running commentary but, undaunted, he kept on looking for laughs until the end of the programme.
Another time, O'Rourke's son was playing in the AI minor final  and Meath were getting a pasting from Kerry. When coverage switched to the Lyster and his panellists, the closing few minutes of the minor game could be seen in the background.
Jeez, Brolly couldn't shut up about what was happening and sarted ribbiing O'Rourke about his son and what he must be feeling. O'Rourke's reply was simple and traight to the point.
"Look,," sez he," Shane will have other days. Now let's get on with what we are being paid for."
Another time, one of O'Rourke's racehorses was in the news for something or other and, once again, Brolly tried to rib him about it. O'Rourke again kept his cool and told Joe they weren't there for the horse racing and (guess what?) once again suggested that maybe they should stick to what they were supposed to be doing.
Okay, others may not agree with me but for me it's a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water. Many of his excellent analyses can be ruined by his need to seek cheap publicity- more sound bytes than common sense.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on October 11, 2016, 11:25:12 AM

Poor kickout resulted in Keegan getting a black card and Dublin scoring simple point.
Dropping a ball an U-12 keeper would hold onto resulted in pen and him getting a black card.

That fairly reflects the popular opinion he had a bad day alright, kickouts and the penalty being the issues. Take the kickouts:

Hennelly took 14 kickouts of which Mayo scored 1-03 from and let in 0-02 directly from the possession's gained. That gives Hennelly a net score of 4 points on 14 kickouts, a 29% scoring return. Clarke took 6 kickouts of which Mayo scored 0 – 01 and didn't concede anything (mainly because Dublin weren't pushing up as high as the first half and Clarke was able to go short with all 6 kickouts. That gives Clarke a net score of 1 point on 6 kickouts, a 17% scoring return. So despite the popular opinion Hennelly was nearly twice as valuable on kickouts than Clarke was. (See the kickouts paragraph on don'tfouls excellent blog here https://dontfoul.wordpress.com/)

The dropped ball was the result of him over-analysing the intercepted kickouts and the fact he had been dropped after the Galway game and had no game time since, i.e. no confidence. Keegan getting a black card wouldn't have helped his mindset but this wasn't/shouldn't be on him as the foul itself wasn't a black card. Not withstanding the error of the dropped ball, the bigger error here was the award of a penalty for what was a legitimate reach for the ball by Hennelly and indeed he succeeded in breaking the ball away from Paddy Andrews. The contact with Andrews comes after the ball has broken away. Now from the camera angle that gives Deegans view of the incident you can understand why he gave a penalty, which is why I believe we have to use video technology for big decisions like this where it is available.

So from the 1-1 and the black card that you say came directly from his errors the stats and video say that Keegan should have remained on the field, the penalty shouldn't have been awarded and up to that point Hennelly had a positive net return of 4 points from his kickouts. The popular opinion will be to lambaste Hennelly, and Rochford for picking him, but I don't think the winter will be as long for them once they have gone through their post match analysis.

muppet

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 11, 2016, 12:00:04 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on October 11, 2016, 11:25:12 AM

That fairly reflects the popular opinion he had a bad day alright, kickouts and the penalty being the issues. Take the kickouts:

Hennelly took 14 kickouts of which Mayo scored 1-03 from and let in 0-02 directly from the possession's gained. That gives Hennelly a net score of 4 points on 14 kickouts, a 29% scoring return. Clarke took 6 kickouts of which Mayo scored 0 – 01 and didn't concede anything (mainly because Dublin weren't pushing up as high as the first half and Clarke was able to go short with all 6 kickouts. That gives Clarke a net score of 1 point on 6 kickouts, a 17% scoring return. So despite the popular opinion Hennelly was nearly twice as valuable on kickouts than Clarke was. (See the kickouts paragraph on don'tfouls excellent blog here https://dontfoul.wordpress.com/)

The dropped ball was the result of him over-analysing the intercepted kickouts and the fact he had been dropped after the Galway game and had no game time since, i.e. no confidence. Keegan getting a black card wouldn't have helped his mindset but this wasn't/shouldn't be on him as the foul itself wasn't a black card. Not withstanding the error of the dropped ball, the bigger error here was the award of a penalty for what was a legitimate reach for the ball by Hennelly and indeed he succeeded in breaking the ball away from Paddy Andrews. The contact with Andrews comes after the ball has broken away. Now from the camera angle that gives Deegans view of the incident you can understand why he gave a penalty, which is why I believe we have to use video technology for big decisions like this where it is available.

So from the 1-1 and the black card that you say came directly from his errors the stats and video say that Keegan should have remained on the field, the penalty shouldn't have been awarded and up to that point Hennelly had a positive net return of 4 points from his kickouts. The popular opinion will be to lambaste Hennelly, and Rochford for picking him, but I don't think the winter will be as long for them once they have gone through their post match analysis.

That's what I thought in real time, but I don't watch The Brolly Rant anymore so I didn't see a replay.
MWWSI 2017