Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: laoislad on April 05, 2016, 07:40:11 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 05, 2016, 07:32:55 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 05, 2016, 07:08:49 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 05, 2016, 06:47:51 PM
The subject of Brolly's article hits the nail on the head. Thr playing field is not level, it is skewed to disadvantage us, despite this our counties still dominate the QF stage.

Ehhhhhhhhh?
Do 6 Co teams have to play against the wind both halves or can only play 13 players or what?
Haven't "dominated" Quarter finals since Armagh and Tyrone were in their primes.

The Ulster representation at the AI QF stage over the last 3 years has been 4/8, 3/8, 4/8. 6 Ulster countues have made AI semi finals since 2004 (Armagh, Derry, Donegal, Down, Fermanagh, Tyrone). 8 of the 9 Ulster counties have made AI qfs in since 2004, only Cavan and possibly Down have made it to that stage just the once in that time.

The Ulster Championship is extremely competitive, our teams are exposed to the peril of the qualifiers from an early stage. They simply have to be ready from early May - it is not like the other provinces, where the top team is given a free ride to the business end of Championship every year, so can easiky rest up their top players.

Ulster teams simply do not have that luxury.
I blame the free staters.

Btw the Brolly article is one of the funniest things I ever read. It's crap, but funny.
Billy Sheehan...What a legend.

Billy Sheehan - what a shit footballer.

laoislad

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 05, 2016, 07:44:43 PM
The subject of Brolly's article hits the nail on the head. Thr playing field is not level, it is skewed to disadvantage us, despite this our counties still dominate the QF stage.

Ehhhhhhhhh?
Do 6 Co teams have to play against the wind both halves or can only play 13 players or what?
Haven't "dominated" Quarter finals since Armagh and Tyrone were in their primes.

The Ulster representation at the AI QF stage over the last 3 years has been 4/8, 3/8, 4/8. 6 Ulster countues have made AI semi finals since 2004 (Armagh, Derry, Donegal, Down, Fermanagh, Tyrone). 8 of the 9 Ulster counties have made AI qfs in since 2004, only Cavan and possibly Down have made it to that stage just the once in that time.

The Ulster Championship is extremely competitive, our teams are exposed to the peril of the qualifiers from an early stage. They simply have to be ready from early May - it is not like the other provinces, where the top team is given a free ride to the business end of Championship every year, so can easiky rest up their top players.

Btw the Brolly article is one of the funniest things I ever read. It's crap, but funny.

Billy Sheehan - what a shit footballer.
;D
I won't disagree.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Main Street

Quote from: omaghjoe on April 05, 2016, 07:24:06 PM
The article is pretty much spot on but I would have difficulty in believing a Derry man shouted for Tyrone ever.

Maybe it was Joe doing it to wind up Spillane and smelly Colm
Of course there's good will from most Ulster folk towards Tyrone in the circumstance of an AI final.

It's just some  Tyronies don't have the grace to recognise or acknowledge the good will gesture. ;D

BennyHarp

Quote from: Main Street on April 05, 2016, 08:22:01 PM
The article is pretty much spot on but I would have difficulty in believing a Derry man shouted for Tyrone ever.

Of course there's good will from most Ulster folk towards Tyrone in the circumstance of an AI final.

It's just some  Tyronies don't have the grace to recognise or acknowledge the good will gesture. ;D

Unbelievable! You have a serious problem! 🙈
That was never a square ball!!

muppet

I played some football 'up north'.

At the time I had never heard the term 'Free State' and had to ask my teammates afterwards what I was being abused about. It was remarkable how often I heard this term on the pitch, usually along with other words such as **** and f**ker. Strangely, I never thought of whinging to anyone and certainly never saw it as racism. I thought it meant I was playing well.

It one took a straw poll, using this board as a sample, there would certainly be a few southerners who fire the sort of abuse that Brolly talks about, but I would estimate there are quite more doing the opposite. 

Brolly should have balanced his article, but then it wouldn't have been as interesting.
MWWSI 2017

Main Street

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 05, 2016, 08:39:13 PM

problem??
I'm not the pervert stalker from Tyrone.

imtommygunn

At the 95 final i was in the midst of derry fans from the minor game. Most were supporting tyrone. There were a few who cheered when canavan had his disallowed point but there will always be a few.

Throw ball

Ehhhhhhhhh?

I was at the match referred to by Brolly and have no doubt Duffy Jnr as referee made a mess of the whole thing. While Sheehan can be forgiven for a lack of sense on that occasion his actions in the league match the following year when marking McKeever did himself, his profession and the GAA an injustice. The referee and the Laois manager get no credit either. If any Laois man there doesn't see that they can never be in a position to criticise Tyrone or any other team for verbals again.

And yes I know were their manager was from.

Itchy

Pure shite from Joe. The last line is a joke when you consider he christened Cavan the "Black Death". He's an attention seeking bollicks and he should f**k of back to Britain.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Main Street on April 05, 2016, 09:12:36 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on April 05, 2016, 08:39:13 PM

problem??
I'm not the pervert stalker from Tyrone.

Ive been recognising the contribution from Monaghan for a long time, the flags, bunting and receptions are all very welcome. Then in return we send you a few coaching personnel

Its a good relationship, kind of like a dog and his master... you eat the scraps from our table and in return your worship the ground we walk on.

Brick Tamlin

Il hold my hands up here. Theres very few Ulster teams id be cheering for when they enter the All-Ireland series.
Nothing wrong with a bit of rivalry and healthy bitterness toward your neighbour.
I was brought up to hate Armagh so would I f**k be cheerin the hoors to victory.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: muppet on April 05, 2016, 09:01:57 PM
I played some football 'up north'.

At the time I had never heard the term 'Free State' and had to ask my teammates afterwards what I was being abused about. It was remarkable how often I heard this term on the pitch, usually along with other words such as **** and f**ker. Strangely, I never thought of whinging to anyone and certainly never saw it as racism. I thought it meant I was playing well.

It one took a straw poll, using this board as a sample, there would certainly be a few southerners who fire the sort of abuse that Brolly talks about, but I would estimate there are quite more doing the opposite. 

Brolly should have balanced his article, but then it wouldn't have been as interesting.

As someone with an English accent I'm surprised I was only called a tan once in my time playing in Manchester, oddly enough the brother and I both got a yellow card for the incident. The referee didn't take kindly to my brother asking his marker what this game was called and how he was surprised at how much better at the game he was than him considering he'd never played it before  ;D We were both booked for inciting racism, you couldn't make it up.

Unfortunately we've had a couple of incidents in recent years where a couple of the mancunian lads have been on the end of a bit of abuse.

lurganblue

Went the 2005 final on my lonesome with the full intention of supporting Tyrone.... by jaysus they dont make it easy to like them though  ;)

illdecide

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on April 06, 2016, 08:41:38 AM
Il hold my hands up here. Theres very few Ulster teams id be cheering for when they enter the All-Ireland series.
Nothing wrong with a bit of rivalry and healthy bitterness toward your neighbour.
I was brought trailed up to hate Armagh so would I f**k be cheerin the hoors to victory.

Enough said... :)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Brick Tamlin