Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on April 08, 2015, 08:54:46 PM
hmmm..so Joe Brolly is now public enemy number 1 in Tyrone ? You lads loved him when he was taking pot shots at us !

I didn't and he's still taking pot shots at you.
That was never a square ball!!

Mike Sheehy

go on, be honest, you lapped it up when he was on the Tyrone bandwagon. What is amazing is how you lads didn't see it coming. You should have known he always backs the winner.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on April 08, 2015, 09:19:30 PM
go on, be honest, you lapped it up when he was on the Tyrone bandwagon. What is amazing is how you lads didn't see it coming. You should have known he always backs the winner.

I agree, he does always back the winner, it's his lazy style of analysis.

DuffleKing

Quote from: smelmoth on April 08, 2015, 08:40:17 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on April 08, 2015, 03:05:28 PM
Has he put forward an analysis of how the blanket works?
Yes. Repeatedly[/b]

Has he put forward a tactical analysis of how to work around it?
No

Has he suggested reasons why managers are going down this route?
Yes. Its a single point but he has repeated it often enough

If you read or listen to the man you would know this. Don't let that stop you

Post up Brolly's analysis of the packed defence there when you get a chance - i'd love to read it.

In my experience, Brolly hasn't the first breeze about the game, how gameplans have developed and why. He has no understanding watching a game what teams are trying to achieve - that's patently obvious from his contributions during RTE broadcasts.

The advent of twitter has given a platform and even credibility to people who should have no input into proposing rule changes within the GAA. Given the demand for "live" news through that and other mediums now, media outlets are only too happy to make a headline out of some dramatic "look at me" quote from mediocre past players who usually have not coached at any significant level.

Reputation in my own county would place the new chairman of the rules advisory group, or whatever they're calling them this time round, at the bottom of the pile if you were nominating someone to systematically and coherently analyse the need for rule changes. Of course the mandating of this committee at all implies the need for rule changes and preordains that there will be proposals brought forward. Not a great starting point.

If there must be another review of the playing rules, and I object strongly to that pretense, then who are the best people to conduct the review?

Administrators? from what level?
managers? from what level?
coaches? from what level?
players? from what level?
non playing members?
the press / media?
former players? from what level?
spectators?

Mike Sheehy

Yes. Repeatedly

No

Brolly is right. The big question is why he is only coming out with these criticisms now ?

I always remember hearing the phrase "you have to earn the right to play football" in the noughties and wondering what exactly it meant. I guess Brolly finally figured out the obvious implication of euphemisms like that. 

INDIANA

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 08, 2015, 09:54:42 PM
Yes. Repeatedly[/b]

No

Post up Brolly's analysis of the packed defence there when you get a chance - i'd love to read it.

In my experience, Brolly hasn't the first breeze about the game, how gameplans have developed and why. He has no understanding watching a game what teams are trying to achieve - that's patently obvious from his contributions during RTE broadcasts.

The advent of twitter has given a platform and even credibility to people who should have no input into proposing rule changes within the GAA. Given the demand for "live" news through that and other mediums now, media outlets are only too happy to make a headline out of some dramatic "look at me" quote from mediocre past players who usually have not coached at any significant level.

Reputation in my own county would place the new chairman of the rules advisory group, or whatever they're calling them this time round, at the bottom of the pile if you were nominating someone to systematically and coherently analyse the need for rule changes. Of course the mandating of this committee at all implies the need for rule changes and preordains that there will be proposals brought forward. Not a great starting point.

If there must be another review of the playing rules, and I object strongly to that pretense, then who are the best people to conduct the review?

non playing members?
the press / media?
spectators?

Current coaches certainly not. They've all adopted the herd mentality of abdicating their responsibilities of coaching teams instead to play like a bunch of gorillas on day release from Dublin Zoo. Throw a few bananas in a team's own half and watch their all congregate there.

Its not rocket science how to fix it. You make it sound like nuclear physics. Because you want it to be so complicated nobody will do anything about it.

The preserve of county teams currently is the handpass. You limit the handpass.

You force teams to kick the ball and contest possession man to man. Even soccer and rugby have a contest for posession. GAA largely doesn't anymore. If I pass the ball back in soccer the keeper will have to kick it long 9 times out of 10- ie a contest for possession. If I gather the ball in rugby outside the 22 I'll have to run it through a wall or kick it high to regather- in the latter case a contest for possession.

Contrast that to Gaelic football. everyone stands in their own half because keepers are allowed to kick it short and teams are also allowed multiple 2 yards hand passes all the way up until somebody fouls them.

It depends on what you want. If you want basketball there is always the NBA- if you want GAA let's see some kicking. It's laughable that it's possible to get to senior inter county football by being strong, fit and a good handpasser.

A lot of teams are against this because the two best kick-passing teams in Ireland are Dublin and Kerry.

DuffleKing

Can't wait to see these dublin kick passers unleashed because the current team run everything - done at pace I'll ggrant you but giving dublin a "kicking" tag is laughable.

Middle third are all athletic runners

Mike Sheehy

We should have a competition. Longest footpass seen in the last 6 months. From all accounts our crossfield balls against Tyrone are up there. Surely there are longer ? 

omaghjoe

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on April 09, 2015, 12:48:36 AM
We should have a competition. Longest footpass seen in the last 6 months. From all accounts our crossfield balls against Tyrone are up there. Surely there are longer ?

Yeah its bound to be one of those Hail Mary's yous lumped into Donaghy

DuffleKing

Quote from: hardstation on April 08, 2015, 11:51:06 PM
Indiana, you keep telling people to start their own association or go to another sport. You are the one who wants to change the game we have??

He didn't say who should be entrusted with deciding rule changes. Presumably just All Ireland medal winning wannabe coaches who can only see football played their way as being fair.

imtommygunn

Quote from: INDIANA on April 08, 2015, 11:45:06 PM
Yes. Repeatedly[/b]

No

non playing members?
the press / media?
spectators?

Current coaches certainly not. They've all adopted the herd mentality of abdicating their responsibilities of coaching teams instead to play like a bunch of gorillas on day release from Dublin Zoo. Throw a few bananas in a team's own half and watch their all congregate there.

Its not rocket science how to fix it. You make it sound like nuclear physics. Because you want it to be so complicated nobody will do anything about it.

You force teams to kick the ball and contest possession man to man. Even soccer and rugby have a contest for posession. GAA largely doesn't anymore. If I pass the ball back in soccer the keeper will have to kick it long 9 times out of 10- ie a contest for possession. If I gather the ball in rugby outside the 22 I'll have to run it through a wall or kick it high to regather- in the latter case a contest for possession.

Contrast that to Gaelic football. everyone stands in their own half because keepers are allowed to kick it short and teams are also allowed multiple 2 yards hand passes all the way up until somebody fouls them.

It depends on what you want. If you want basketball there is always the NBA- if you want GAA let's see some kicking. It's laughable that it's possible to get to senior inter county football by being strong, fit and a good handpasser.

A lot of teams are against this because the two best kick-passing teams in Ireland are Dublin and Kerry.

So let's tailor the game so the only way it can be played is in a way which will be most advantageous to Dublin?? (coincidentally your team...)

That's not really how sport works...

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on April 08, 2015, 05:14:25 PMIn the qualifiers, Westmeath went up to Omagh and gave Tyrone a lesson in defensive play and only lost by 2 points. I remember late on, they had a shot that rolled just wide across an empty goal. A couple of inches the other way and Kerry would have snuck in for another easy Sam, while Tyrone saved the hay.

Close. It was Dessie with that shot but there was a keeper in the way so that's why he went for the corner and the ensuing near miss across goal. That was after playing the second half with 14 men after Doran Harte was sent off after a bout of theatrics. Which neatly brings the discussion back to Brolly and his jibe at Jordan.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

INDIANA

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 09, 2015, 09:05:24 AM
Yes. Repeatedly[/b]

No

non playing members?
the press / media?
spectators?

So let's tailor the game so the only way it can be played is in a way which will be most advantageous to Dublin?? (coincidentally your team...)

It works by allowing the skills of the game to be shown . There are a lot of crap teams and equally crap coaches being saved by the current rules by being allowed to play a game that is so removed from what Gaelic football was envisaged it is nearly a different sport

If the footpass was removed from Gaelic Football most counties would be happy because most of them are uncomfortable kicking the ball. I watched one Tyrone player last week give 17 hand passes and no foot pass. And he probably thinks he's a good player . Ha ha

AZOffaly

In 1992 Matt Molloy played the All Ireland Final against Dublin and never kicked the ball once. I don't have an issue with the Hand Pass, in fact the Kerry teams of the Golden Era used the hand pass a lot (Including Bomber's goals!). When it is used as part of a quick movement of ball, I don't think there's anything boring or wrong with it.

That said, the quickest way of moving the ball is the kick pass, and that would be my preferred option where it is 'on', but you need movement, skills and space to execute that. The blanket defence chokes the space and limits the movement.

BennyHarp

Quote from: INDIANA on April 09, 2015, 12:00:27 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 09, 2015, 09:05:24 AM
Yes. Repeatedly[/b]

No

non playing members?
the press / media?
spectators?

It works by allowing the skills of the game to be shown . There are a lot of crap teams and equally crap coaches being saved by the current rules by being allowed to play a game that is so removed from what Gaelic football was envisaged it is nearly a different sport

If the footpass was removed from Gaelic Football most counties would be happy because most of them are uncomfortable kicking the ball. I watched one Tyrone player last week give 17 hand passes and no foot pass. And he probably thinks he's a good player . Ha ha

Imagine a sport where teams with lesser ability use tactics to get the better of another team. That's a mad concept and would never catch on in any other sport. It's particularly unfair to the likes of Dublin who crave a level playing field for Gaelic football and shouldn't be made to work to get results. By the way, there's more to the game than just kicking the ball, but you will also have noticed while watching Sunday's game some excellent KICKED points too, from distance by both teams, but that doesn't suit your argument as you just want everyone to turn around and hoof it. By your own logic of watching something else if you don't like what's on offer then you'd be better off going to watch this... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Ireland_Kick_Fada_Championship