There,ll never be a hurl in Bellaghy

Started by ha ha derry, September 04, 2009, 08:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Hands FFS

Sure didnt the current Bellaghy manager help lead a school Hulring team an All Ireland Colleges in the past year??? I'd say that be as close as he'll get to an All Ireland

saffron sam2

Didn't the silkily skilled footballer, but mediocre manager Damien Cassidy wield the hurl in his youth?

A boy in work says that Cass played for a well-known neighbouring club and may even have played hurling for Derry also.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

the green man

In fairness to Bellaghy, they are average at the old football carry on, which they will admit to themselves. When it comes to pure GAA terms they are quite remedial. The first club to ditch hurling, and the first club to take 'the soup' and ditch the language.

lilpaulie85

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on September 04, 2009, 11:59:57 AM
Just to requote McCloy " There'll never be a hurl in Bellaghy"

Hurlings loss i'm sure  ;D
Chase the dream not the competition.

the green man

Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 04, 2009, 10:26:54 PM
Didn't Damien Cassidy wield the hurl in his youth?

Sure he's half north antrim himself anyway. Phonsie wouldn't have had it any other way

EDIT: can we not have this in the Derry thread?

Drumanee 1

Quote from: the green man on September 05, 2009, 12:40:08 AM
In fairness to Bellaghy, they are average at the old football carry on, which they will admit to themselves. When it comes to pure GAA terms they are quite remedial. The first club to ditch hurling, and the first club to take 'the soup' and ditch the language.

do you really want to get into a argument about "taking the soup"? ;)

Captain Black

McCloy censors referees too, time to get him out.

RedDragon

under the bar

Quotewat does taking the soup mean??

Red Dragon it refers to famine times when the irish dissenter could go to the local church and receive a bowl of soup in return for denouncing their faith.  Explains by and large why Donegal, Tyrone & South Derry remained true but impoverished whilst Armagh & Down prospered in servitude to the crown.

tonesfirstandlast

After watching the AI final yesterday, could some of you hurling people inform of why there is any need for a referee in that game, other than throwing in the ball at the start of each half of course.

theskull1

Fair play to you for sticking it out the whole way through, to ponder that one
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

cameltohill

tones have you ever kicked a football for bellaghy?

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: cameltohill on September 07, 2009, 12:18:01 PM

did I ever kick a ball for Bellaghy? Let me tell you, I can hardly walk with the weight of medals in my pocket!  ;D. Only for me Damian cassidy wouldn't have been half the footballer.. I did all the donkey work.

johnneycool

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on September 07, 2009, 02:26:33 PM
Quote from: cameltohill on September 07, 2009, 12:18:01 PM

did I ever kick a ball for Bellaghy? Let me tell you, I can hardly walk with the weight of medals in my pocket!  ;D. Only for me Damian cassidy wouldn't have been half the footballer.. I did all the donkey work.

Your words!

Aerlik

Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 04, 2009, 10:26:54 PM
Didn't the silkily skilled footballer, but mediocre manager Damien Cassidy wield the hurl in his youth?

A boy in work says that Cass played for a well-known neighbouring club and may even have played hurling for Derry also.

Sure did, and big Danny played a bit too.
When you consider the very recent origins of Gaelic Football then consider the national sport of hurling, you can't compare them.

As Tom Nott from Cork once said, You can give a sealion a football and it will juggle it, but it can't hold a hurl.

I've just watched the replay with my son...he's amazed too.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!