Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 10, 2020, 02:19:35 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on November 10, 2020, 01:51:36 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 10, 2020, 11:11:57 AM
Most defo needs to go to a SW man... with how well the SW west managers have been performing in the the clubs like Cargin these last few years and Creggan last year, even Aghagallon have done really well in the SW.. I'm sure anyone of those managers would love a crack at the job....oh wait
I say give it to a St Galls man, hasn't been enough of them given a chance in the last 15- 20 years (Cough Cough PJ O Hare, Mickey Culbert, Frank Dawson, Lenny)

I'm all for the best man for the job. The SW managers at the helm of the SW clubs that are doing well should get the nod, no?
The SW teams all have outside managerS? only trust their own coaches with the kids

JohnDenver

Quote from: Gold on November 10, 2020, 11:48:09 PM
Quote from: BrendanAntrim on November 10, 2020, 10:53:22 AM
Very good interview with Liam Bradley in the paper over the weekend.

Baker 3???

Yes

Baker Óg could be more of a shout....

paddyjohn

Quote from: JohnDenver on November 11, 2020, 10:32:10 AM

Baker 3???

Yes

You've spent to long on that Jet plane John Denver.

JohnDenver

Quote from: paddyjohn on November 11, 2020, 10:53:42 AM
Quote from: JohnDenver on November 11, 2020, 10:32:10 AM

Baker 3???

Yes

You've spent to long on that Jet plane John Denver.

;D ;D  He probably would have more experience than McGinley for being of a similar age. But then McGinley would have the McCann factor in possibly / probably persuading Mick and Tomas to stay on for another year at least. It's an attractive gig for somebody as getting out of division 4 (easier said than done) is the main aim and there's more than enough quality to do that with the right man.

EOC1923

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 11, 2020, 09:11:33 AM
Most defo needs to go to a SW man... with how well the SW west managers have been performing in the the clubs like Cargin these last few years and Creggan last year, even Aghagallon have done really well in the SW.. I'm sure anyone of those managers would love a crack at the job....oh wait
I say give it to a St Galls man, hasn't been enough of them given a chance in the last 15- 20 years (Cough Cough PJ O Hare, Mickey Culbert, Frank Dawson, Lenny)

I'm all for the best man for the job. The SW managers at the helm of the SW clubs that are doing well should get the nod, no?
The SW teams all have outside managerS? only trust their own coaches with the kids
Of the 12 Div 1 teams in Antrim, from my knowledge 9 of them have outsiders in their management team. 5 SW and 4 Belfast teams. What is your point going over that argument constantly?

asaffgael

Who would you all pick to get the job that is available and is a realistic option?

BS I am interested in your opinion.

JimStynes

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EOC1923 on November 11, 2020, 11:47:04 AM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 11, 2020, 09:11:33 AM

Of the 12 Div 1 teams in Antrim, from my knowledge 9 of them have outsiders in their management team. 5 SW and 4 Belfast teams. What is your point going over that argument constantly?

Lot of jest to be fair, but the main point is, that in Antrim we just don't have the experience in house that will be able to get us the results and Baker and Gleason have shown that we seem to work better with outside coaches that can bring a different dimension, for whatever reason.

The big argument last time was that the SW has been poorly represented over the years in terms of management within the county, when the successful managers from the SW are looking after SW clubs I'd be all for it, that's not the case unfortunately, there are plenty of possibilities as Jim has mentioned above
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: JimStynes on November 11, 2020, 01:09:41 PM
Madden and McKeever?

McKeever staying with Bellaghy according to the Derry Post.

Dunsilly King

names in the paper, their experience. Helps to clear the mud, so to speak.

Mc Ginley, taken Swatragh senior team for two seasons. two minor championship titles with Errigal. No senior championship finals or wins, nor has he any county management experience

Madden, managed 4 senior clubs, one championship final defeat with Creggan, coached Glenullin to their championship win. Intercounty, 2 years coaching Derry & this season coaching with Tyrone

Lynch, managed LD for past 4 /5 years. One senior championship win, beaten senior finalist. Did he manage their Ulster minor club winning team? No intercounty experience

McKeever, managed 4/5 senior teams, beaten Tyrone senior championship finalist, won an Ulster and All Ireland intermediate championship with Cookstown. No intercounty experience.

Cassidy, taken four senior clubs, 9 senior finals winning 6 in three counties, as we know led Cargin to their first historic 3 in a row. Won Ulster U21 & U18 club championships. Derry assistant manager for 3 seasons, won NFL and beaten All Ireland semi finalists and then Derry manager for 2 years, beaten NFL finalists.

Mikhailov

Quote from: Dunsilly King on November 11, 2020, 02:23:55 PM
names in the paper, their experience. Helps to clear the mud, so to speak.

Mc Ginley, taken Swatragh senior team for two seasons. two minor championship titles with Errigal. No senior championship finals or wins, nor has he any county management experience

Madden, managed 4 senior clubs, one championship final defeat with Creggan, coached Glenullin to their championship win. Intercounty, 2 years coaching Derry & this season coaching with Tyrone

Lynch, managed LD for past 4 /5 years. One senior championship win, beaten senior finalist. Did he manage their Ulster minor club winning team? No intercounty experience

McKeever, managed 4/5 senior teams, beaten Tyrone senior championship finalist, won an Ulster and All Ireland intermediate championship with Cookstown. No intercounty experience.

Cassidy, taken four senior clubs, 9 senior finals winning 6 in three counties, as we know led Cargin to their first historic 3 in a row. Won Ulster U21 & U18 club championships. Derry assistant manager for 3 seasons, won NFL and beaten All Ireland semi finalists and then Derry manager for 2 years, beaten NFL finalists.

What club teams did Cassidy take. Clonoe & Cargin, who else?

Cranfield

Think he took his own club bellaghy to a championship early noughties. Not sure who the other one was but Dunsilly King will definitely know. Sounds like there's a strong possibility he might even know what Cassidy had for his breakfast if you get me  ;D

Dunsilly King

Your being sore on me. Took my time getting the info on line. Wikipedia a big help. I knew Maddens and McKeevers background well due to my SW interest in them.

Which brings me on to MR2 question of SW managers. Both McKeever and Madden have a sound grounding.

BTW I'm off isolating for the next number of days. Seriously pissed off with this covid stuff. Thats twice now

antrimman667

Madden/McKeever, however Cassidy is a win at all costs Character, something that could be enstilled into our county and the grit and steel we lack county-wide. Could also look into Fearghal McCusker from Maghera or Sean Marty Lockheart.

bannside

Of everyone listed above the absolute standout CV is Damien Cassidy, especially in terms of silverware. 6 county championships is an impressive tally. To balance that, his term as manager of Derry was underwhelming, when they had a terrific squad, and I know quite a few Cargin lads who think that his number two there Ronan Devlin deserves more credit than he gets. Nevertheless, if DCs name was in the hat it should receive serious consideration.

Mairtin Lynch is very good around a team. Squeezes every ounce from his players who respect him. Surrounds himself with good footballing people, and streetwise as they come. Would do a good job if he was a realistic possibility, but he has new committments at work and if I was being honest, I do think its time to come out of the city for a term. Win another cship with LD and will be very strong in the frame for again!

Paddy Bradley, has definitely kicked on as a coach since he helped out with Baker Honda and Fitzy in 2015. No objections at all as long Antrim is his only proper football committment. Could always have the oul boy in his corner which would not be a bad thing. But theres stronger preferences below.

Kevin Madden has more than enough on his CV to be given serious consideration. The Tyrone experience will enhance that. Id say he will stick with Tyrone and see what 2021 brings with Mc Shane back, and young Canavan  Mark Bradley etc, they must be a serious prospect for an AI. That opportunity would be too good to pass over. Certainly an Antrim manager at some stage when the timing fits.

John Mc Keever is another hugely serious option. His first proper experience was winning an All Ireland Intermediate with Cookstown when he was only mid thirties. Well thought of in Coalisland where he beat DC's Clonoe to reach a county final. Headhunted by many top teams across Mid Ulster, John leaves no stone unturned, always has a great backroom team (including Conleith Gilligan at Coalisland...now at Ulster champions Kilcoo along with Mickey Moran) and players love him. If he threw his name into the ring with say Kevin Brady coaching for example I would be delighted but it looks like he is planning year two with a young Bellaghy team that is still in development mode.

Enda Mc Ginley is an interesting development and it looks like this proposal is growing legs. A three time All Ireland winner who played the game intelligently (no wastage) and now writes about it intelligently too. Ulsters most highly decorated player of all time. Would surely entice a high profile No 2, imagine any one of Stevie O Neill, Brian Mc Guigan or similar alongside. That would be amazing, and if his first proper job at Swatragh was underwhelming, I have it on authority that he was well liked and thought of around the club. Certain to bring a top coach with him.

Personally I like the EMG idea to be honest, though a JMK/KB alliance being two honest SW men that might do the gig every bit as well, for a bit less, would stand alongside that as my own personal preference.

Just the opinion of one person.....