12 (10.7%)
5-10 pts
38 (33.9%)
10+ pts
36 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: December 19, 2020, 08:56:37 AM

Farrandeelin

So much has to go right for Mayo and wrong for Dublin for half a chance of an upset.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on December 06, 2020, 09:07:51 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on December 06, 2020, 08:11:10 PM
Where's Stephen Archer?

They don't need him. Just like they don't need Aaron Byrne nor Conor McHugh, their other U20/21 players of the year from the last six seasons. An absurd, and interminable, embarrassment of riches.

Had forgotten about McHugh, he looked like a serious talent.

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on December 06, 2020, 09:47:01 PM
So much has to go right for Mayo and wrong for Dublin for half a chance of an upset.
Indeed Farr and an oul bit of defence tightening :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

WhoDat

Quote from: reillycavan on December 06, 2020, 09:22:28 PM
Quote from: WhoDat on December 06, 2020, 09:18:41 PM
who will mayo put on fenton?

Matthew Ruane is the man for the job.

really? i haven't been that impressed by him this year. mayo's midfield is a weak link in general i think

galwayman

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 06, 2020, 09:49:49 PM
Where's Stephen Archer?

They don't need him. Just like they don't need Aaron Byrne nor Conor McHugh, their other U20/21 players of the year from the last six seasons. An absurd, and interminable, embarrassment of riches.

Is it Ciaran Archer ye mean? If so - he is still u20 so probably be called in next season.
They obviously have a lot of talented players. Kilkenny, O Callaghan, Rock have been consistently excellent. Their other 3 starting forwards aren't anything special though.
Mannion, Howard and Costello all on the bench is strange unless they are deliberately holding them in reserve because of the impact they can have off the bench. 

galwayman

Quote from: WhoDat on December 06, 2020, 09:59:52 PM

really? i haven't been that impressed by him this year. mayo's midfield is a weak link in general i think
I think he means in terms of being mobile and able to stick with Fenton around the pitch.
He wouldn't be hectic in the air true enough.

Blowitupref

Quote from: WhoDat on December 06, 2020, 09:59:52 PM

Winning clean possession yes but crowding the middle 8 and winning breaking ball Mayo remain strong in that area.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Halfquarter

Quote from: Eire90 on December 06, 2020, 05:36:39 PM
sure nothing will happen as long bandwagoners go to games if people want change boycott matches tell them you not going anymore.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/aig-renews-sponsorship-with-dublin-gaa-in-4m-deal-1.3487922

You could start by boycotting AIG , for a start, their 800k contribution to the Dublin coffers is helping to ruin Gaelic football, yet they expect to do business all over Ireland.

sid waddell

Quote from: WhoDat on December 06, 2020, 08:32:58 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on December 06, 2020, 08:05:55 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on December 06, 2020, 07:43:28 PM
Anyone writing Mayo off could well be left surprised again. Horan gets his match up right this will be a competitive final. I'd expect Mayo to be more tuned in defensively, today they took on Tipperary in a shootout and put little focus on their defence.
But they've never produced that level in a final.

have to disagree. they were excellent in the 2017 final, one of their best ever croke park performances. they might not have had a flurry of goals, but they were tight and focused and intense all over the pitch and it was honestly the only time in the last decade that i've seen dublin properly sweating and rattled. that was the best final performance i've seen from a team that didn't actually win it. they would have beaten any other team that day and probably handily too. dublin just had that bit extra coming off the bench.
I'd go so far as to say that Mayo's display that day would probably have won every other All-Ireland final ever played, they played at an outstanding level

Dublin have never put in the sort of 70 minute performance in a final that everybody thinks they are capable of, one where they just brush a team aside, they didn't even do it to Tyrone, they didn't do it in 2017 either, which is the problem for Mayo - once again Mayo could put in a full 70 minute outstanding performance and still come up short to a Dublin team not at their brilliant best

I wonder will Dessie Farrell's inexperience in this sort of situation be an issue, this final will be different for Dublin

He has never even experienced a real contest at senior inter-county level, whereas Horan has long experience

Even Jim Gavin made a hames of his first final in 2013, Dublin were left with 13 fit players for the last 10 minutes because he'd shot his load with subs

Stopping goals is the key for Mayo, which is why today is worrying for them despite an overall great performance

If they can restrict Dublin to one goal Mayo have a chance, though it would only be a chance

Restrict them to no goals and they have a right chance

In 2013, 2015 draw and replay, 2016 draw and replay, and 2017, Dublin got soft goals - and in all bar the 2013 final and 2019 semi-final, Dublin got early goals

Mayo must stop that happening again, they must avoid a bad start, but they must also dictate the terms like they did in 2016 and 2017 and for long stretches of the other matches

macdanger2

Quote from: galwayman on December 06, 2020, 10:02:47 PM
Where's Stephen Archer?

Is it Ciaran Archer ye mean? If so - he is still u20 so probably be called in next season.
They obviously have a lot of talented players. Kilkenny, O Callaghan, Rock have been consistently excellent. Their other 3 starting forwards aren't anything special though.
Mannion, Howard and Costello all on the bench is strange unless they are deliberately holding them in reserve because of the impact they can have off the bench.

That's the fella alright, didn't realise he was still underage

sid waddell

Where's Stephen Archer?

He is a serious talent, his display against Ballyboden in the club championship last year was unbelievable and he has shown well in league appearances

Farrell was Na Fianna manager then

I would rate McHugh higher in talent terms than Paddy Small, in most counties he would be the star forward, I don't think that's the case with Small

I think he is not on the panel at the moment however and he's no longer young, he was minor in 2012, so it might never happen for him at this stage

Mayo4Sam14

God forbid the Sunday game actually discussed a bit of football, are they going to cover the mayo match at all? Surely nobody is taking this breaking up Dublin crap seriously, piss take stuff. Redistribute finances fairly, limit the commercial shite, put proper structures in all counties.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Tubberman

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

From the Bunker

Pat Gilroy and Des having a chat about what's the problem with the rest of us!

McEntee is so weak!