Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 17, 2023, 09:40:13 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 17, 2023, 09:16:05 AM
Truth I take it you've never played reserve football.

Nobody. And I mean nobody, wants to play reserve football at lunchtime on a Sunday.

Yes I have played reserves and would rather play earlier on a Sunday than 6pm in the evening. At least you have some of your Sunday to spend with the family .

Another option would be to have reserves at 7pm on a Saturday and have Ladies senior on Sunday afternoons. Saturday evening at 7pm is a bad time for women's football.

Burren need to start a new senior club in the area or sanction players to Newry Mitchells. The hoovering up of players since the turn of the millennium is not having as good an effect as the oligarch's thought. Young lads who's family are engrained in the history and parish of Burren throughout the years are not getting a game of football and quitting football before 20.

No I'm calling you out here. You're suggesting that the ideal time in a week for reserve football is one that blocks out roughly 12-4pm on a Sunday. Which means you have to build your day around reserve football.

—-

There are a few sure fire  ways to ensure that Burren youngsters never play Gaelic Games as an adult, but short of cutting off their legs, sending them to line out for another club on a Friday night, is probably the most sure fire of all.

johnnycool

Good lord, there's some amount of whinging about reserve teams beating other clubs senior teams, playing on Sunday afternoons etc etc all which happens week in, week out in your same county with hurling and no one bats an eyelid.

Nothing better than an U15 game on the Sunday morning with the Seniors having a game that afternoon, (with a few pints after) and the whole parish up at the pitch.

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on January 17, 2023, 09:52:28 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on January 17, 2023, 09:40:13 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 17, 2023, 09:16:05 AM
Truth I take it you've never played reserve football.

Nobody. And I mean nobody, wants to play reserve football at lunchtime on a Sunday.

Yes I have played reserves and would rather play earlier on a Sunday than 6pm in the evening. At least you have some of your Sunday to spend with the family .

Another option would be to have reserves at 7pm on a Saturday and have Ladies senior on Sunday afternoons. Saturday evening at 7pm is a bad time for women's football.

Burren need to start a new senior club in the area or sanction players to Newry Mitchells. The hoovering up of players since the turn of the millennium is not having as good an effect as the oligarch's thought. Young lads who's family are engrained in the history and parish of Burren throughout the years are not getting a game of football and quitting football before 20.

No I'm calling you out here. You're suggesting that the ideal time in a week for reserve football is one that blocks out roughly 12-4pm on a Sunday. Which means you have to build your day around reserve football.

—-

There are a few sure fire  ways to ensure that Burren youngsters never play Gaelic Games as an adult, but short of cutting off their legs, sending them to line out for another club on a Friday night, is probably the most sure fire of all.

I never said it was the best time but with calendars its better than Sunday evening. The ideal night is during the week but there is a lot going on midweek and would need a lot of jigging. Sat evenings is also a good time.

Smurfy123

No I watch a lot of reserve football

Truth hurts

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 17, 2023, 10:34:56 AM
No I watch a lot of reserve football

Ok well can you tell me what Carryduff thirds have won recently? They wouldn't be that strong

DownFanatic

Reserve football is on the wane. Just look at how many games didn't take place in 2022 due to non-fielding of teams in the All County Reserve Leagues. It was wild. It is essentially now opt-in/opt-out, happy go lucky, i'll see how I feel at 5pm on a Sunday evening sort of format these days. There's a serious apathy to it. I've been playing Reserve football for over 20 years and I've never seen such a 'take it or leave it' attitude to it as there is now.

EIREANNACHBUACHAILL71

As much as the co board will try ensure it, there will be no integrity in the Div 4 competition with senior clubs second teams parachuted in. These seconds could have their strong u20s players and very skilled older players. they will have their premier reserves. this "seconds" team will not be those struggling to get football. these clubs will still enter both the premier reserves and reserves (in fact the co board have invited them to do so if they wish)
The clubs will not have the consistency of the division 4 clubs in that from week to week their strength of panel will vary and thus may beat a promotion contender then lose to a team not challenging for promotion.
Dont bring the problems of reserves leagues into another domain.
Its an unworkable solution to accommodate the establishment clubs at the detriment of the clubs not blessed with numbers.
You only have to see the issues at underage to see what will happen.

qubdub

Never read so much bullshit in my life... Carryduff an establishment club!
It's like Carryduff and Burren are behind some conspiracy to clean up Division 4 & Junior championship, because that's where clubs of their calibre currently see their best chances of silverware... ::)
Believe me, they won't be playing all their best talent at this level, I'd hazard a guess they've taken stock of their playing numbers and decided that fielding at Division 4 is best way to provide meaningful football for their increasing numbers.

Truth hurts

Quote from: DownFanatic on January 17, 2023, 10:49:40 AM
Reserve football is on the wane. Just look at how many games didn't take place in 2022 due to non-fielding of teams in the All County Reserve Leagues. It was wild. It is essentially now opt-in/opt-out, happy go lucky, i'll see how I feel at 5pm on a Sunday evening sort of format these days. There's a serious apathy to it. I've been playing Reserve football for over 20 years and I've never seen such a 'take it or leave it' attitude to it as there is now.

A lot of this is due to the all county aspect , who wants to travel an hour for a reserve game. Keep reserve games local , North, South, East and West leagues or within the barony's and play off for the all county league title.

For St Pauls to travel to the Mournes it would take 1hour and 20 minutes. That's ludicrous to ask a reserve player who probably has a young family to leave Holywood just before 4pm to travel to Dunavil for a game and to not get home to around 9pm.

Get reserve football local.

outinfront

The majority of the games that didnt take place last season were in the Reserve 2 and 1 leagues.  IMO those leagues should have stayed East and South Down.  Possibly go all county for say an additional All-county league cup final.

The 2 Premier Reserve Leagues are highly competitive and Premier 1 is an excellent standard.  Most players at this level should be willing to travel All-County.

DanTheMan12

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 17, 2023, 09:48:51 AM
Quote from: WeeJamseyMcC95 on January 17, 2023, 09:34:33 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on January 16, 2023, 10:30:52 AM
Great performance and great crowd, good to see the magpie faithful back in Newry but can they wear Down gear instead of Kilcoo gear please.

You should stand at the gate in Thurles and if anyone doesn't arrive in a full Down GAA tracksuit turn them away.. but then again you probably wont even make that trip yourself.

Yes I will be at Thurles as I never miss Down matches and was one of the loyal followers last year.

Hmm im not sure if watching via a livestream from the comfort of the living room counts!

Truth hurts

Mark Poland appointed as Cooley Kickhams coach

WeeJamseyMcC95

Mickey Harte and Brian Dooher co-joining to become new Kilcoo management.. be another big pay cheque there. Sounds like Mickey will take the reins and Dooher will be stepping in as a dual manager along with Tyrone.

MATTSARACEN

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

Truth hurts

Quote from: MATTSARACEN on January 17, 2023, 03:54:27 PM
Has Harte left Louth?

There is more chance than a Ross Carr and the Red Devlin partnership taking Kilcoo than Harte and Dooher , don't listen to such crap