skat man

did the team that was named start?

Nanderson

Quote from: skat man on January 28, 2023, 09:15:34 PM
did the team that was named start?
gerdie collins came in for shay miller

Smurfy123

Great win. Closer than what I thought though
Jim McG now in with Down. After the merry dance he give them last year I'm surprised.
Doesn't say much for the selection team that tried to get him last year.

snoopdog

Great win. Couldve went against us after the sending off. Tipp went at us after that. Down still very much work in progress but none if thr old sideways bullshit. Get it forward at pace. Great to watch but can be wasteful at times. 1st time in Thurles for a game. Lovely old ground. Roll on next Sat night in Newry. A big Down crowd tonight.

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 28, 2023, 09:45:46 PM
Great win. Closer than what I thought though
Jim McG now in with Down. After the merry dance he give them last year I'm surprised.
Doesn't say much for the selection team that tried to get him last year.

Is this true about McGuinness?? We were poor in patches tonight and left 1 of 2 players up the pitch in what was a defensive performance. We break at pace and get Kerr etc on the ball when coming out of defence so their natural pace takes us up the pitch quicker. Big Pat was really good early on and then starved of possession. Gilmore was very good on his introduction and should start next week.
Thought the ref was poor - very very inconsistent..

Minus15

Just home. 7 up at half time and 7 up with 10 to go yet it ended much closer than it should have. A deserved win having played more than half the game with 14 men.

The intensity of Down's play out of possession very impressive.. Tipp simply couldn't live with them in first quarter.

Donagh McAleenan, Pat Havern, Ryan McEvoy, Conor Francis and Odhran Murdock impressed.

The Havern goal was an outstanding team move, a couple of quick kick passes on the counter involving all 3 of the starting full forward line.
Would be surprised if a better goal was scored anywhere else this weekend.

County Star

Was a great game. Think Milllar rolled ankle in warm up so it would have been the starting team as programmed but for that. Work in progress surely but that's 3 wins and a draw now for Laverty's men and we can get goals again

upandwin

Is the rumour about McGuinness true? Or was there a man on the twittersphere on the gargle? Outrageous thing to say if not true so that would lead me to believe McGuinness is in. Some appointment. Was he ratified by county board during the week?

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: upandwin on January 29, 2023, 08:09:25 PM
Is the rumour about McGuinness true? Or was there a man on the twittersphere on the gargle? Outrageous thing to say if not true so that would lead me to believe McGuinness is in. Some appointment. Was he ratified by county board during the week?

Wouldn't need to be ratified.
C L can add to his management panel as sees fit. Obviously certain individuals would have to agree to cover the costs but that wouldn't be up for discussion by club delegates.

ck

That was a great win today. No easy place to go to and down to 14 men too. Laverty has turned last years sh*t show into something genuinely promising.

downtothecore

Good start for Down. The group have done the work this year to date and it's a good job as there is some tough games coming up. Interesting on the rumour of jim mc Guinness involvement and how it has been announced to the public. Sp getting a lot publicity from this...

ardtole

Laverty confirmed in today's Irish news that Mcguiness took a training session but is not part of the backroom team.

Sounds like Poacher jumped the gun a bit.

Truth hurts

I understand McGuiness will be in every few weeks. Not full time though.

Truth hurts

On the match itself, we were excellent in the first half with big Pat is unreal form. The sending off hampered us but we weathered the storm and we move onto this weekend where I expect a massive turnout in Newry.

snoopdog

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 30, 2023, 08:52:31 AM
On the match itself, we were excellent in the first half with big Pat is unreal form. The sending off hampered us but we weathered the storm and we move onto this weekend where I expect a massive turnout in Newry.
Was there only 1,013. At thurles on sat. Seemed bigger. I know U16s don't pay  but are thry counted through turnstiles.