Pub chain limits parents' drinks

Started by Minder, January 04, 2008, 09:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Pub chain limits parents' drinks 

JD Wetherspoon has 683 pubs in the UK
Adults with children are only allowed two alcoholic drinks at JD Wetherspoon pubs in order to limit their stay, the chain has confirmed to the BBC.
A spokesman for the company said it was "uncomfortable" with children being on the premises for long periods because of a lack of play facilities.

And he said parents visiting its pubs could even be refused soft drinks or coffee to curtail their stay.

There are 683 Wetherspoon pubs throughout the UK.

The drinks policy came to light when Stephen Gandy contacted the BBC after visiting a Wetherspoon pub in Wallasey on Merseyside for a meal with family and friends.

The group was told that they could not have more than two alcoholic drinks each because they were with a child, even though the child's mother was only drinking water.

The family say they were told that the aim of the restriction was to prevent "child cruelty".

When the BBC contacted JD Wetherspoon a spokesman confirmed the policy was in place, but denied it had anything to do with child cruelty.

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Snowed Under

In fariness unless a child was in with it's parents to get some food, what reason is there for having a child in a pub.

Minder

I think its to stop the spides you see in some Wetherspoons chains bringing the kids in and getting airlocked.

gerry

what about the fifteen/sixteen year old children they sell drink to on a saturday night.  its  bit double standards from a pub chain that encourages heavier drinking with its promos on doubles and jugs of cocktails. 
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Snowed Under on January 04, 2008, 09:14:00 AM
In fariness unless a child was in with it's parents to get some food, what reason is there for having a child in a pub.

You see Kids in pubs all the time and the parents drinking away, it's either that or throw them with a babysitter.

I think it's a good move.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

pintsofguinness

I don't understand the point you're making typ?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

gerry

QuoteI'd recommend visiting if you want a good meal,

would hardly call it top class. if i was heading out for a meal, w'spoon wouldn't be near the top of my list
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Minder

Quote from: gerry on January 04, 2008, 10:08:22 PM
QuoteI'd recommend visiting if you want a good meal,

would hardly call it top class. if i was heading out for a meal, w'spoon wouldn't be near the top of my list

Its not the worst value for money you will get. I know people that have went to Deans and paid a fortune and said they wouldnt go back.