Saorview & Freeview in Donegal

Started by WeeDonns, May 20, 2011, 02:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeeDonns

Guys, I know there's a few people on here who would know about this kind of stuff so was hoping you could help me out.

I'm looking to get Saorview & Freesat in a holiday home in Donegal. Currently we just have an aerial in the attic and it gets us RTE1, RTE2, TV3 & TG4 – but not the best of picture all the time. So we're looking to improve the picture by putting up a proper aerial and while we're at it we may aswell try and get Freeview too for the UK channels.

From my reading online, we just have to put 2 aerials on the one pole – one pointed to Brougher(for freeview) and 1 pointed to Truskmore(for saorview) and then I need a settop box that can handle both.

Does anyone know anything about these digi settop boxes than can handle both freeview and saorview? Can anyone recommend any?

Also, would there be any advantages of installing freesat/ROI version of freesat instead rather than the aerial based versions? Like are there channels you can't get or features that are better with the satellite version. As I understand the aerial version provides a digital signal, so the picture would be the same for both, am I right?

Ulick

On a similar note, anyone know when Saorsat is being launched? - I heard it was at the same time as Saorview but can't find any information on it. Seems I'm in a black spot under the Castlereagh hills.

armaghniac

My understanding is that is likely to receive Saorview box is likely to receive Freeview HD.

These digital transmitters are not on full power yet for the most part, so your present signal is not always a good guide to how things will be next year.

some good info here
http://www.saortv.info/
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Croí na hÉireann

freeView and freeSat offer the same selection of channels (AFAIK), freeSat is intended for those in a freeView blackspot like those of us down here in Mexico  ;D If there isn't much difference in cost I would go for the freeSat, less likely to suffer interference/poor reception.

saorSat is supposed to be going live this month Ulick, so the rate they have been going it'll probably be 2012 before its operational...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

WeeDonns

Based in Bundoran.
I should have guessed the ROI version of freesat would be called saorsat

Here's a box I found, theres a tab with a coverage map too
http://www.tvtrade.ie/freeview-ireland.html
I think id want a box you can play movies through a USB hard disk

On that website it says you cant get Dave on freesat but can on freeview. Are there others like this?

john mcgill

I have a place in Bundoran and had a Sky dish installed that gives me a lot of free channels without cost.  It was very reasonable.  The installer was from Belleek. If you are interested pm me

WeeDonns

Cheers for all the feedback guys.
Am I right in thinking that a freesat setup will only pick up the uk channels, so if I got freesat in, I would still have to put up an aerial for saorview to get rte? would this mean two separate boxes at the TV?

I think we'd want just one box under the TV, thats why the link I posted appeals. That link mentions 2 UHF aerials, it doesnt mention VHF, whats the difference?

armaghniac

QuoteFor Saorview, see if you can pick up a cheap Freeview HD set top box somewhere, Tesco have a cheap one available for £30.
Presumably we'll all be looking at boxes in a year. Good time to be in the TV business.

And don't forget the TV licence.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B