Dublin v Donegal 4pm throw-in

Started by twohands!!!, April 10, 2016, 03:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on April 10, 2016, 06:42:02 PM
It's Kerry, Dublin and perhaps Tyrone and maybe Mayo this year. There is nobody else.

If Mayo found two inside forwards then they would be most likely to challenge Kerry and Dublin. But they have to find them.

And I'm not convinced on tyrone's credentials either. I'd have Mayo ahead of them

That was abject from Donegal.

Roscommon are finding that there are two levels in Div 1. And they aren't in the top  one yet. Absolute stage fright there today. From a group of young players well used to playing in big games they'd fall apart if 80,000 were there. Will probably come over time but i'd have expected them to cope with a half empty Croke Park better then that

A rare case of humility Indy. Only AI contender is Dublin. It will take a fûck up of monumental proportions for Dublin not to keep Sam. Never remember a time with one team so far ahead of everyone else. It will have a chilling effect on the entire sport if it continues.

BluestackBoy

Couldn't believe how out of shape some of the more experienced Donegal players looked, McFadden could have balanced a dinner plate on his belly. I really feel for people who follow Donegal to travel that distance to watch a half fit team.

All I can say is that this strategy of late preparation had better pay off or Gallagher is toast.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Syferus on April 10, 2016, 06:46:35 PM
It's Kerry, Dublin and perhaps Tyrone and maybe Mayo this year. There is nobody else.

If Mayo found two inside forwards then they would be most likely to challenge Kerry and Dublin. But they have to find them.

And I'm not convinced on tyrone's credentials either. I'd have Mayo ahead of them

Roscommon are finding that there are two levels in Div 1. And they aren't in the top  one yet. Absolute stage fright there today. From a group of young players well used to playing in big games they'd fall apart if 80,000 were there. Will probably come over time but i'd have expected them to cope with a half empty Croke Park better then that

A rare case of humility Indy. Only AI contender is Dublin. It will take a fûck up of monumental proportions for Dublin not to keep Sam. Never remember a time with one team so far ahead of everyone else. It will have a chilling effect on the entire sport if it continues.

Utter nonsense. There is no way you can judge the latter stages of the championship in early April. Yes, Dublin are in great nick & ahead of the rest at the moment but others, especially Kerry, will improve as the year goes on.

INDIANA

Quote from: BluestackBoy on April 10, 2016, 06:49:22 PM

Utter nonsense. There is no way you can judge the latter stages of the championship in early April. Yes, Dublin are in great nick & ahead of the rest at the moment but others, especially Kerry, will improve as the year goes on.

The AI Final is in late August when Dublin play Kerry in the AI Semi Final.

And you can quote me on that.

Syferus

Year in year out in all competitions they have been the best team on show. Sheer arrogance beat them in 2014. Mayo had a chance in the 2013 final to catch them before they got so good that it wasn't really that feasible to beat them but letting them win that one by playing within themselves was the pivotal moment in this run. Since 2012 Dublin have lost a single championship match.

maigheo

Yep and we will put it alongside last years prediction of Mayo winning the all ireland

J70

Quote from: BluestackBoy on April 10, 2016, 06:46:54 PM
Couldn't believe how out of shape some of the more experienced Donegal players looked, McFadden could have balanced a dinner plate on his belly. I really feel for people who follow Donegal to travel that distance to watch a half fit team.

All I can say is that this strategy of late preparation had better pay off or Gallagher is toast.

Too early to judge Rory yet. Championship is when it matters. All that can be said at this point is that he and the team have a lot to prove to even be considered leading contenders for Ulster.

Felt for McBrearty there today. He did quite well whenever ball came in, but there was just so little of it so late.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Syferus on April 10, 2016, 06:53:28 PM

Year in year out in all competitions they have been the best team on show. Sheer arrogance beat them in 2014. Mayo had a chance in the 2013 final to catch them before they got so good that it wasn't really that feasible to beat them but letting them win that one by playing within themselves was the pivotal moment in this run. Since 2012 Dublin have lost a single championship match.

In fairness Mayo were more than a match for them last year too but that is unsustainable given the  lack of money up there. Kerry are the only threat at the moment but in the coming years will need their good minor teams to produce a lot of players to remain competitive. Below them 3 the gap is growing.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: INDIANA on April 10, 2016, 06:51:43 PM

The AI Final is in late August when Dublin play Kerry in the AI Semi Final.

And you can quote me on that.

Wouldn't necessarily argue with that. What I took issue with was the statement "Only AI contender is Dublin" That is claptrap and you can quote me on that.

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on April 10, 2016, 07:12:41 PMIn fairness Mayo were more than a match for them last year too but that is unsustainable given the  lack of money up there.

I would think it's the lack of backbone that would be a more pressing concern for Mayo fans.

rrhf

Zulu

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on April 10, 2016, 07:28:39 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on April 10, 2016, 07:12:41 PMIn fairness Mayo were more than a match for them last year too but that is unsustainable given the  lack of money up there.

I would think it's the lack of backbone that would be a more pressing concern for Mayo fans.

Wouldn't agree with that at all. I think Mayo have competed heroically for a number of years but have lacked the forward talent to get them over the line. I know a few Mayo posters here don't like to hear that but I certainly don't agree they lack bottle, they've just lacked attacking class IMO.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Refereeing decisions have hurt them more than others too between Cormac Reilly down in Limerick and Aidan O'Shea being fouled with impunity last year being the difference between them getting past the eventual AI winners at the semi final stage.

twohands!!!

Quote from: J70 on April 10, 2016, 07:08:12 PM
Felt for McBrearty there today. He did quite well whenever ball came in, but there was just so little of it so late.

He gave Cooper a bit of a roasting but as you said zero ball seemed to go in his direction.

lenny

Quote from: Zulu on April 10, 2016, 07:38:50 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on April 10, 2016, 07:28:39 PM

Wouldn't agree with that at all. I think Mayo have competed heroically for a number of years but have lacked the forward talent to get them over the line. I know a few Mayo posters here don't like to hear that but I certainly don't agree they lack bottle, they've just lacked attacking class IMO.

I would tend to agree with this analysis. Too often people attribute teams inability to win championships to a lack of bottle but more often than not its down to not having enough scoring power or class up front.