23.  Paul O'Donoghue                    St Marys
24.  Padraig O'Connor                   Killarney Legion
25.  Kieran O'Leary                       Dr Crokes
26.  Daithí Casey                            Dr Crokes

Crowley, Young and Paul Geaney in for Sherwood,Fitzgerald and Mickey Geaney

twohands!!!

9 starters from the final I make it.

donegal lad

Gallagher not expected to make many changes to the team from last week. Major improvement needed as we were terrible against Monaghan. Be disappointed if travel down and don't see an improvement from donegal considering team is at near full strength

twohands!!!

1   Paul Durcan
2   Paddy McGrath
3   Neil McGee
4   Eamonn McGee
5   Frank McGlynn
6   Karl Lacey
7   Mark McHugh
8   Neil Gallagher
9   Christy Toye
10   Martin O'Reilly
11   Odhrán Mac Niallais
12   Ryan McHugh
13   Patrick McBrearty
14   Michael Murphy
15   Hugh McFadden

16   Michael Boyle
17   Declan Walsh
18   Anthony Thompson
19   Eamonn Doherty
20   Joe Gibbons
21   Martin McElhinney
22   Gary McFadden
23   Colm McFadden
24   Daniel McLaughlin
25   Eoin McHugh
26   Eamonn Ward

twohands!!!

11 starters from the All-Ireland for Donegal

donegal lad

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 12, 2015, 10:53:00 PM
1   Paul Durcan
2   Paddy McGrath
3   Neil McGee
4   Eamonn McGee
5   Frank McGlynn
6   Karl Lacey
7   Mark McHugh
8   Neil Gallagher
9   Christy Toye
10   Martin O'Reilly
11   Odhrán Mac Niallais
12   Ryan McHugh
13   Patrick McBrearty
14   Michael Murphy
15   Hugh McFadden

16   Michael Boyle
17   Declan Walsh
18   Anthony Thompson
19   Eamonn Doherty
20   Joe Gibbons
21   Martin McElhinney
22   Gary McFadden
23   Colm McFadden
24   Daniel McLaughlin
25   Eoin McHugh
26   Eamonn Ward
Happy to see Ryan mchugh back in the half forwards he was wasted in the half back line last week. Think if mark mchugh is to start he needs to be named in the backline

StephenC

Heading to Tralee more in hope than expectation. We've a terrible away record in Div 1 and I don't think that'll change this weekend. Important that there's some positive reaction to last weekend though. Another performance like that and Rory will be getting a lot of flak.

twohands!!!

Quote from: donegal lad on March 12, 2015, 11:08:38 PMHappy to see Ryan mchugh back in the half forwards he was wasted in the half back line last week. Think if mark mchugh is to start he needs to be named in the backline

Would it be fair to say that both McHugh's have been out-of-form a bit so far this year ?

Thought they were both very quiet in the Dublin game and they hasnt been much talk of them in dispatches.

donegal lad

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 12, 2015, 11:34:18 PM
Quote from: donegal lad on March 12, 2015, 11:08:38 PMHappy to see Ryan mchugh back in the half forwards he was wasted in the half back line last week. Think if mark mchugh is to start he needs to be named in the backline

Would it be fair to say that both McHugh's have been out-of-form a bit so far this year ?

Thought they were both very quiet in the Dublin game and they hasnt been much talk of them in dispatches.

Would be fair to say that. Ryan has been played in the half backline a lot this year which takes away from his game IMO.

If I'm being honest I don't believe mark has done enough to walk straight back I to the starting 15. He played in the McKenna cup and all league games this year and he has looked off the pace and I believe playing him in the half forwards is sacrificing an attacking option

Fuzzman

Is Hugh McFadden a brother of Colm's?
Is Colm injured/rested or not the player he was.
Interesting how Rory takes such a different attitude to the league than Jim did.
Is Jim still at Celtic? Full time?

StephenC

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 13, 2015, 08:59:45 AM
Is Hugh McFadden a brother of Colm's?
Is Colm injured/rested or not the player he was.
Interesting how Rory takes such a different attitude to the league than Jim did.
Is Jim still at Celtic? Full time?

Hugh McFadden plays with Killybegs and is not related to the St. Michaels lads.
Colm scored 1-06 in a high-scoring challenge game with Galway but there's certainly still plenty of concern that his performance will continue to drop off as it has done for the last 2 years.
Not sure that Rory is taking a different attitude than Jim.
Yeah, Jim is still at Celtic.

J70

McFadden is in his 14th season with the county senior team. How many lads play at the top level after all that time? I am honestly shocked that he is back for another go around. He will have a hard time winning a starting place though, unless McBrearty, Murphy or O'Reilly get injured.

What is most surprising about him has been the speed with which his performance has dropped off, but part of that is that he hit such an amazing level in 2011-2012, when almost everything he hit was dropping over the bar. Some of the long distance points he was hitting in those two seasons were just incredible. He was doing on a weekly basis what the Dublin team did to Donegal in the first half of last year's semi final. Why his accuracy has dropped off (from frees too), maybe he doesn't even know, but it can be precisely traced to the 2013 Ulster final when his off-day was a large reason we lost, even if it was probably indicative of and a result of the intensity Monaghan brought all over the field. In the game before that, against Down, he almost single-handedly won it for us with his accuracy and opportunism on a day when we played pretty poorly.

J70

Quote from: StephenC on March 12, 2015, 11:09:45 PM
Heading to Tralee more in hope than expectation. We've a terrible away record in Div 1 and I don't think that'll change this weekend. Important that there's some positive reaction to last weekend though. Another performance like that and Rory will be getting a lot of flak.

We've a terrible record away to Kerry especially (not unique I'm sure!). I think I can remember us winning maybe once down there over the past two decades or so.

It is probably going to come down to the Tyrone game for us, as I can't see us getting much in Castlebar either.

You never know in the league though. And it depends on what kind of training both teams are at at the moment.

StephenC

Quote from: J70 on March 13, 2015, 12:38:24 PM
McFadden is in his 14th season with the county senior team. How many lads play at the top level after all that time? I am honestly shocked that he is back for another go around. He will have a hard time winning a starting place though, unless McBrearty, Murphy or O'Reilly get injured.

What is most surprising about him has been the speed with which his performance has dropped off, but part of that is that he hit such an amazing level in 2011-2012, when almost everything he hit was dropping over the bar. Some of the long distance points he was hitting in those two seasons were just incredible. He was doing on a weekly basis what the Dublin team did to Donegal in the first half of last year's semi final. Why his accuracy has dropped off (from frees too), maybe he doesn't even know, but it can be precisely traced to the 2013 Ulster final when his off-day was a large reason we lost, even if it was probably indicative of and a result of the intensity Monaghan brought all over the field. In the game before that, against Down, he almost single-handedly won it for us with his accuracy and opportunism on a day when we played pretty poorly.

I think the reality is that Colm's 2012 level was an outlier rather than a baseline. His form before and after that has been more reflective of his overall career. Still though, it wasn't as if he had just one good game in 2012 or anything. He was on fire that year and should really have won POTY (Lacey got it as he should have received it the previous year IMO). As you say, some of the points he scored that year were truly spectacular. His opener (and Donegal's) against Kerry in the QF set the tone for that game.

StephenC

Quote from: J70 on March 13, 2015, 12:41:39 PM
Quote from: StephenC on March 12, 2015, 11:09:45 PM

We've a terrible record away to Kerry especially (not unique I'm sure!). I think I can remember us winning maybe once down there over the past two decades or so.

It is probably going to come down to the Tyrone game for us, as I can't see us getting much in Castlebar either.

You never know in the league though. And it depends on what kind of training both teams are at at the moment.

We really have to beat Tyrone at home although maybe when we meet Mayo, they will have the job done at that stage and will not be as up for it.