[Merged] Religion topic Bishop Eamon reaffirms Catholic teaching & Cinemas refusing to show ad featu

Started by T Fearon, November 07, 2015, 07:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 11, 2015, 08:46:01 PM
BTW Maguire if you are trying to associate the Catholic church with young earthers  refer to J70's post above.
Catholic faith is not about denying the physical it about having faith in the non-physical/non-empirical . A significant contributor to the Big Bang (IMO half-ass!) theory was a Belgian Jesuit.
I wasn't. Just responding to the notion that because something was a belief, it must be beyond ridicule.

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on November 11, 2015, 09:13:50 PM
OmaghJoe,there is sufficient evidence in Scripture (the only basis for belief) and it's the strict teaching of every mainstream Christian Church that homosexuality is sinful.You cannot be subjective about these things or adopt an a la Carte approach,you are either Christian or you are not.Its as simple as that.
Do you belive in all of the bible, none of it or are you currently self-flagellating for you a-la-carte scum-baggery?

On my previous points I should have qualified by saying that the gay community is no longer a persecuted minority,I can't think of any other concept in my own lifetime that has been decriminalised and elevated to full equal status with age long normal activities/concepts.Also by the way,as the point was raised,the catholic professional and land owning class were never discriminated against,here or anywhere else,it was the working class that bore the brunt of the discrimination.
Being gay not normal then? Based upon what exactly?

I don't believe gay people were "born this way" but was making the irrefutable point that logically if they are then so are murderers,paedophiles etc.
Not born that way? Go on give us your rationale for why members of various species are gay

Maguire01

OmaghJoe,there is sufficient evidence in Scripture (the only basis for belief) and it's the strict teaching of every mainstream Christian Church that homosexuality is sinful.You cannot be subjective about these things or adopt an a la Carte approach,you are either Christian or you are not.Its as simple as that.
Well you can be "a la carte" and you probably are. Homosexuality is but one thing that may be considered sinful in the Bible. What about eating prawns? What about getting tattoos? What about wearing clothes of mixed fabric? It's a very pick and mix approach to this "evidence" of what sin is.

outinfront

When anyone's beliefs are based on 'cos the bible says...' I immediately don't bother. U cannot debate with morons. I do honestly believe that TF gets some sort of gratification from this tho...

T Fearon

The Bible is the basis of all belief.What else is there? No cities were destroyed on account of eating prawns or wearing mixed fibres.

If you don't believe in God fair enough,but don't try to say Jesus would condone sinful activity on the grounds of some happy clappy love for all regardless of what they do bollix.

T Fearon

Please show me any mainstream Church (I'm not talking about Happy Clappy cults) that believes

1.Homosexuality is not sinful

2.That Jesus' mission was anything other than to save souls by getting people to turn away from sin

That's all I ask and upon receipt of these I will instantly alter my views

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on November 11, 2015, 10:11:59 PM
The Bible is the basis of all belief.What else is there? No cities were destroyed on account of eating prawns or wearing mixed fibres.
Jesus wept.

We're now actually believing that cities were destroyed due to homosexuality.

Interestingly, we're also categorising sins, and discounting those that haven't destroyed cities. How very a la carte.

T Fearon

Show me the evidence as I requested in my previous post

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rois

Quote from: T Fearon on November 07, 2015, 08:26:09 PM
What then is the point of the Ten Commandments? Read any Catholic Cathechism which makes it expressly clear that commission of a mortal sin and failure to repent sincerely will result in eternal damnation.

That is Catholic Church teaching, which simply informs my views.
Ever stay in a hotel on a Sunday? We all know you have no objections anyway, if you manage to get the right dates. The workers certainly don't "keep holy the Sabbath".  Could God infer that you are condoning the "sin" by availing of the services of sinners? Perhaps he thinks the same for supporting a team of paid soccer players who play on a Sunday? Would be interested in your interpretation of that commandment.

T Fearon

The Church takes its core beliefs from scripture, and the central message is that salvation is only attainable by accepting Jesus as the saviour and turn away from sin,but if you fail to do this there will be dire consequences. It's very simple. Now I can understand and respect people who don't believe this or in God,but what I cannot accept is the stupidity of people who suggest that there is another message,that Jesus love is unconditional and there will be no consequence for unrepentance.

T Fearon

The keeping Holy on the Sabbath is open to interpretation.It is possible to keep Holy while relaxing and resting in a Hotel or chilling out watching professional sport.No contradiction there at all.

Rois

Quote from: T Fearon on November 11, 2015, 11:27:38 PM
The keeping Holy on the Sabbath is open to interpretation.It is possible to keep Holy while relaxing and resting in a Hotel or chilling out watching professional sport.No contradiction there at all.
But you are doing so in the full knowledge that "sinners" are responsible for your enjoyment as they are not keeping holy the Sabbath.

Nihilist

A lot of what the Church is based upon is and has been written by re-written over and over. There has been loads of flip flops over the centuries on Roman Catholic and I assume other Christian teachings. Google it to find the obvious ones. Plus they exercise massive control over the material that all this is actually based upon. 

So what does that say about the Roman Catholic church for instance as they hold the most material in my opinion. And more importantly what doe it say about God in general?

Well I think anyone can still say/claim that God is infallible and always will be.

But does it also mean that the Church is infallible or not? It's clear from history that it is not. And this raises the larger problem then as to how much guidance and how accurate this guidance is in a World where people of all walks of life are clamouring for greater equality.