[Merged] Religion topic Bishop Eamon reaffirms Catholic teaching & Cinemas refusing to show ad featu

Started by T Fearon, November 07, 2015, 07:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Jesus hung around with a lot of dodgy and undesirable characters. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on November 09, 2015, 10:38:07 PM
So is it prejudiced to not associate with rapists,murderers, muggers of elderly etc,all of whom are irrefutably sinners?

Aren't these precisely the kind of people Jesus associated with?

omaghjoe

First up I dont understand how you manage to turn your threads whether by goading or by your own ego into the same old thing. It could have been an interesting subject to discuss but by trying to stir up controversy you have let this thread end up like all the rest a slaggin session for yourself and a opportunity for the usual suspects to exercise their bias and reaffirm their insecurities about religion.

Didnt Jesus say we should visit prisoners? Doesnt the church advocate similar things and indeed have ministries precisely for people like those you have mentioned?

Also what about bankers and bookmakers do you disassociate from them? They arent repenting from their ways?

How can you say a gay person who has lead a pious life with a good heart, repented for all sins, but never acknowledged that being gay is wrong, will be condemned, it doesn't make sense.

Gay people are the way God made them and he has made millions of them, why did he do that? They can't help the way they are, most lead good productive lifes and don't harm or offend anyone. Indeed isnt it just lucky that hetro sex produces life otherwise we could never even be at it, if you want to adhere to the church's strictness doctrine. Homosexuality is a paradox for the doctrine in that love produces life etc and it doesnt fit into that but the very least is that they should not be condemned in doctrine.

And before you say it cant change, it can change. Look at limbo, it wasnt even doctrine, but dogma, stuff your supposed to believe regardless but the last Pope decided that it doesnt exist after all. So some sort of accommodation can be made for homosexuals within the doctrine if the will is there.

You and me arent the judge Tony, its not our place. God will be, leave it in his hands.

Rufus T Firefly

I'll have to confess (forgive the pun) that when I read these threads, the image that comes to my mind is something like.....

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on November 09, 2015, 10:01:55 PM
It provides a guide  for living (Ten Commandments) etc.

The 10 commandments are largely bollocks. The sense that is in then (try not to kill people etc) was hardly revolutionary. Pretty sure people were aware of this before the loon on the hill got involved. Those who preclude themselves from human slaughter today (amd I count myself amongst them) are suffering from acute mental problems if there reason for abstaining is the 10 commandments.

Moses certainly was not a moral man and certainly someone to avoid if looking for moral guidance.  By today's standards he was not only maniac but a cnut of the first rank.

Quote from: T Fearon on November 09, 2015, 10:01:55 PM
Look everyone is free to do what they want but don't accuse anyone who believes activities to be wrong and sinful,of being prejudiced against those who engage in these activities

the key to this is the word believes. People can believe anything they like (you only have to read your posts). But when those beliefs impact on others in a non-sensical way and without anything to back them up then expect to be called prejudiced.

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on November 09, 2015, 10:38:07 PM
So is it prejudiced to not associate with rapists,murderers, muggers of elderly etc,all of whom are irrefutably sinners?

Ask yourself what harm a rapist/murderer/mugger does?
Ask yourself what harm a lesbian does (by virtue of being a lesbian)?

If the answers are different then, being logical, your response to them will be different. .asic stuff,

smelmoth

Quote from: Rossfan on November 09, 2015, 11:31:50 PM
Jesus hung around with a lot of dodgy and undesirable characters. ;)

And a lot of returning the favour

T Fearon

Jesus hung around with "dodgy" characters for one reason.To attempt to get them to change. No point in him hanging around with good people,it wasn't them who he came to save.How hard is that to understand? By hanging around with them,he wasn't condoning their lifestyles or their sinful ways,he wanted them to repent and lead decent sin free lives.

To clarify my position,in the course of my daily life I have normal everyday dealings with members of the LBGT community.In my dealings I treat these people with courtesy and respect as I try to do with everyone.But I would not accept an invitation to a gay wedding or civil partnership ceremony.

omaghjoe

Would you use a credit card? Thereby aid and abet usury?

Oraisteach

Jesus was Not exactly known for hanging out with the scribes and Pharisees, those whited sepulchres, hypocrites, and undoubted sinners.  What, didn't Jesus care about righting their wrongs?  Pope Francis visits the imprisoned and the homeless, not, in my view, to fix them, but rather out of Christian compassion, the sort of compassion/empathy, Tony, that you fail to evince.  You think an all-seeing God can't see through your self-serving 'goodness' and won't be critical that you treat his 'least brethren' as pariahs. And I'm sure he's irritated, too, that you don't insert a space after a comma.

T Fearon

I do use a credit card,but pay off at end of month without incurring interest😂.

Look the Catholic Church,along with all other Christian Churches teaches Heaven and Hell await the righteous and wicked.This belief is derived from Scripture, it is not my decree.It is plain that Jesus' mission (and Im amazed by the many people on this thread,who don't profess to believe in him on one hand yet quote his time spent with sinners on the other😱)  was to atone for "sin" (not understand it,condone it or to have unconditional love for its practitioners). His whole mission was to save sinners hence the amount of time spent with the Ungodly.

Oraisteach

But not the ungodly scribes and Pharisees?  Hmmm, selective saving?

T Fearon

He didn't have to spend time with every sinner to make clear the purpose of his life,which was to save people by persuading them to turn away from sin.The example is there for everyone to see

Farrandeelin

Quote from: T Fearon on November 10, 2015, 06:00:55 PM
Jesus hung around with "dodgy" characters for one reason.To attempt to get them to change. No point in him hanging around with good people,it wasn't them who he came to save.How hard is that to understand? By hanging around with them,he wasn't condoning their lifestyles or their sinful ways,he wanted them to repent and lead decent sin free lives.

To clarify my position,in the course of my daily life I have normal everyday dealings with members of the LBGT community.In my dealings I treat these people with courtesy and respect as I try to do with everyone.But I would not accept an invitation to a gay wedding or civil partnership ceremony.

Would you go to a ceremony in a hotel between a man and woman. The name of it escapes me at the moment! :-[
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Oraisteach

So, he chose to hang out with the marginalized, the ostracized, the lowly, because, well, he didn't have enough time, being God and all.  Or perhaps, maybe he was modeling a type of conduct that was inclusive of the untouchables, those that the self-righteous denizens of Poyntzpass refused to associate with (even members of their own family).