[Merged] Religion topic Bishop Eamon reaffirms Catholic teaching & Cinemas refusing to show ad featu

Started by T Fearon, November 07, 2015, 07:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on November 09, 2015, 08:09:52 PM
I would not associate with any sinner (family or otherwise) who refuses to accept they are committing sin.Naturally if they were trying to move away from sin that would be a different story.

So you would not associate with any gay person (family or otherwise), who refuses to accept that being gay is wrong or sinful, unless of course this gay person was trying to move away from being gay?

Again I'll ask, what do you think such a hostile, prejudiced act would warrant as a reward from God?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

People willingly engaging in sin,without any acknowledgement of sin or willingness to move away from sin are effectively removed from God by their own volition.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on November 09, 2015, 08:39:18 PM
People willingly engaging in sin,without any acknowledgement of sin or willingness to move away from sin are effectively removed from God by their own volition.

Nope. You are the one disowning them. Don't go blaming it all on God.

What do you think such a hostile, prejudiced act would warrant as a reward from God?
MWWSI 2017

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on November 09, 2015, 05:46:44 PM
What is fundamentalist about believing that salvation requires belief in Jesus,and avoidance of sin and sincere repentance therefrom? Is this not the basic belief of all mainstream Churches?

Very simple really and quite logical.Essentially getting what one deserves.If this is not the case and we are all destined for heaven why did Christ come to Earth? If God doesn't exist what is the point of life?

A few post earlier you said god must be obeyed. You use the mere inclusion on the bible as dictat that some rule or other must be followed. This is not logical. It is fundamentalism.

As for why did "christ" come to earth - i would imagine the carpenter boyo getting the ride outta Mary might have had something to do with it. Now that is logic.

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on November 09, 2015, 06:30:24 PM
Er,,having studied that "dogma" and using my own mind to decide that I accept it,without any external coercion,is in fact me thinking for myself.

And when you can't see corroboration of biblical content from the real world do you reject it?
If you see something labelled sinful or wrong in the bible do you challenge it and ask if it really is wrong?

smelmoth

I would not associate with any sinner (family or otherwise) who refuses to accept they are committing sin.Naturally if they were trying to move away from sin that would be a different story.
Not following in the "way of the lord" then?

It looks like an absolute rejection of jesus' message

T Fearon

Jesus associated with sinners in an attempt to turn them away from sin,that was his mission.

As regards your other points I believe the Bible to be the inspired Word of God and follow the interpretation of it by my Church.I don't need or expect Worldly corroboration,that's not what faith is about

imtommygunn

yours is about hedging your bets as you illustrated before though tony ;)

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on November 09, 2015, 09:21:25 PM
Jesus associated with sinners in an attempt to turn them away from sin,that was his mission.

As regards your other points I believe the Bible to be the inspired Word of God and follow the interpretation of it by my Church.I don't need or expect Worldly corroboration,that's not what faith is about

Who did he turn away? Who did he reject or shun?

Does he "let he without sin cast the first stone" stance or his condemation of the rules-based pharisees not provide chrisitians with some guidance or instruction?

Following the interpretation of the bible by your church is hardly thinking for yourself. It is the passing on of responsibility for your decisions and prejudices to another.

T Fearon

It provides a guide  for living (Ten Commandments) etc.Look everyone is free to do what they want but don't accuse anyone who believes activities to be wrong and sinful,of being prejudiced against those who engage in these activities

BennyCake

Quote from: smelmoth on November 09, 2015, 08:53:51 PM
Not following in the "way of the lord" then?

It looks like an absolute rejection of jesus' message

Didn't Bruce Lee fight Chuck Norris in that one?

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on November 09, 2015, 10:01:55 PM
It provides a guide  for living (Ten Commandments) etc.Look everyone is free to do what they want but don't accuse anyone who believes activities to be wrong and sinful,of being prejudiced against those who engage in these activities
Why not? Because it's uncomfortable to have this pointed out?

T Fearon

So is it prejudiced to not associate with rapists,murderers, muggers of elderly etc,all of whom are irrefutably sinners?

easytiger95

Quote from: T Fearon on November 09, 2015, 10:01:55 PM
God forbid that anyone would think that you are prejudiced Crazy Tony. Although I do seem to remember on the night of same sex marriage referendum result that you enquired whether Baggot Street would need to have it's name changed - do you remember what you suggested?

Gotta love that Crazy Tony (and keep an eye on him)

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on November 09, 2015, 10:38:07 PM
So is it prejudiced to not associate with rapists,murderers, muggers of elderly etc,all of whom are irrefutably sinners?

Are you comparing gays to murderers, muggers of elderly etc?

Are you comparing the sin of being gay to being a murderer?

What reward will God have for you for your hostility and prejudice towards gays?
MWWSI 2017