Crooked councillors

Started by armaghniac, December 07, 2015, 08:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: moysider on December 07, 2015, 11:06:28 PM

Is there anybody about that thought it doesn t work this way?

Which way?

RTE exposes councillor corruption?

Or

Clever councillor exposes RTE....eh.....TBC.
MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 07, 2015, 01:38:19 PM
I always wondered why the last minute u turn in Belfast with regard to the black hacks using the new bus lanes...
What happened there? I have seen plenty of references to this but so far I haven't seen an sort of explanation of what happened.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: muppet on December 07, 2015, 11:17:08 PM
Quote from: moysider on December 07, 2015, 11:06:28 PM

Is there anybody about that thought it doesn t work this way?

Which way?

RTE exposes councillor corruption?

Or

Clever councillor exposes RTE....eh.....TBC.

That there are kick backs involved.

Orior

In criminal law, entrapment is a practice whereby a law enforcement agent induces a person to commit a criminal offense that the person would have otherwise been unlikely to commit. It is a conduct that is generally discouraged and thus, in many jurisdictions, it's a possible defense against criminal liability.

Is entrapment allowed in Ireland north or south?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Maguire01

Quote from: Orior on December 07, 2015, 11:39:58 PM
In criminal law, entrapment is a practice whereby a law enforcement agent induces a person to commit a criminal offense that the person would have otherwise been unlikely to commit. It is a conduct that is generally discouraged and thus, in many jurisdictions, it's a possible defense against criminal liability.

I can't answer your question.... but RTE isn't a law enforcement agency, so your scenario doesn't quite fit. I honestly don't know if that makes any difference.

trileacman

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 07, 2015, 11:43:27 PM

I can't answer your question.... but RTE isn't a law enforcement agency, so your scenario doesn't quite fit. I honestly don't know if that makes any difference.

It doesn't matter really. From what I seen no money changed hands no was there any solid commitment to break significant laws. It's illegal to be a crooked bastard on the take but on the surface it only looks like they would if given the opportunity. Don't think any of them divulged indictable info about previous bribes either.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

muppet

I believe it is not a law in the South. I think it is in the States, for example.

Broadcasting a recording without permission from the person interviewed might be problematic in the South though. I'm sure RTE felt they had a good reason to go ahead, even though it is hard to see how the councillors would have given consent.
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: muppet on December 08, 2015, 12:09:45 AM

I believe it is not a law in the South. I think it is in the States, for example.

Broadcasting a recording without permission from the person interviewed might be problematic in the South though. I'm sure RTE felt they had a good reason to go ahead, even though it is hard to see how the councillors would have given consent.
They didn't have consent to film the care workers in Mayo and that led to convictions, did it not?

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 08, 2015, 07:15:31 AM
Quote from: muppet on December 08, 2015, 12:09:45 AM

They didn't have consent to film the care workers in Mayo and that led to convictions, did it not?

You don't need consent to film or record.

Just to broadcast. I know it appears like the same thing but, for example, if you broadcast in a different jurisdiction it doesn't apply.

But to answer your question, the answer is I don't know. I am surprised there wasn't the usual attempt to get an injunction to stop the programme being broadcast. Maybe something has changed recently?
MWWSI 2017

stephenite

I think if it can be proven to serve the public interest, broadcasting is OK. I think

AZOffaly

I don't know that you have to get 'permission' to broadcast, as such, but you do leave yourself open to lawsuits for defamation if you broadcast without prior permission.

I think this is what happened with that priest that RTE gaffed badly on a few years ago.

You can broadcast away, but you might get your arse sued in the aftermath, and that is where the judge will have to determine 'in the public interest'.

Bingo

"Whats in it for Darkie?"

W.T.F!!

I've seen this boyo at a few different things and can say for certainty that he wasn't acting anyway and that's the way he goes on.

As TV it was brilliant. As a reflection on public office it was terrible.

Can only look forward to his defence of this that started yesterday on local radio with the "I knew all along" line.

One of the best comments on twitter after it was that Hugh McElvaney was the only honest politician on the show as he was straight and upfront that he wanted cash.

brokencrossbar1

I would imagine that the RTE put the individuals on notice that they were going to broadcast the recordings and in doing so gave them the opportunity to object and take an injunction out against them, if they don't then that is an implied consent to the matters being broadcast and therefore no law is being broken.

I only stuck it on when your man from Donegal was being highlighted.  While we all know that cronyism and back handed deals go on it is unreal to actually see them in action. Sleeveens of the highest order but definitely not isolated to irish politics.  The old saying of power corrupts is so true and the higher you go up the food chance the bigger the corruption. 

mikehunt

A cunning pre-election ploy by all involved. Being found to be a cute corrupt sleeveen whore guarantees you top the poll in the subsequent election. Best little country to be corrupt in.

foxcommander

And these folk will be asking the public to keep them in office at next election. How can you forget you own a property or a business? Administrative errors - give me a break.
Boot them out.

Politicians failed to disclose properties

Seven TDs and Senators also failed to disclose properties or businesses that should have been included in their register of interests.

When it comes to declaring a business, the size, profitability or trading status of the company does not matter.

Even if the role is unpaid, it still has to be declared until the company is legally dissolved.

Oireachtas member and former junior minister John Perry owns a residentially zoned site and house in Ballymote, Co Sligo.

When first contacted, he said he did not need to separately declare it because it is used as an overflow car park and storage building for the supermarket across the road - which is on his register of interests.

This was despite the fact that planning permission granted by Sligo County Council in 2011 specified that the property would not, and could not, be used as either a car park or commercial storage facility.

In a subsequent statement, Deputy Perry said: "As far as I am concerned this area was always considered by me as being part of the supermarket and since the council's decision in 2011 not to allow parking on this portion of ground, the area has just been left derelict and unused."

Minister of State Ann Phelan amended her 2014 statement after RTÉ contacted her about a second house she owns that was not on the register.

She said she would amend her statement and rectify this oversight.

Five politicians, including Fine Gael TD Áine Collins and Senator Mary Ann O'Brien, did not disclose directorships of companies in the register of interests.

Ms Collins said the two firms she failed to mention were the result of an administrative error and that she would correct the register.

Ms O'Brien also forgot to declare a firm, which was part of the corporate structure of the Lily O'Brien's chocolate company, which she founded.

Independent TD Noel Grealish said he should have included a glass manufacturing company even though it was in liquidation, while Fine Gael Senator Tom Sheahan said he would add a non-trading company to his register.

Fine Gael TD Tom Barry did not include three "agriculture and real estate" companies on his register for 2014 but has amended the record since being contacted by RTÉ.

Dozens of councillors also had gaps in their declarations with properties and business interests regularly missing from official documents.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie