2015/2016 Premier League

Started by ONeill, August 03, 2015, 07:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Posted this in the Liverpool thread. It'll do for me here as well...

So a couple of days before the season starts.. what are people's honest thoughts? I believe Liverpool have strengthened at full back and up front, compared to last year. I also think Milner is better than Gerrard circa 2015, but he's not exactly Eden Hazard or anything.

I'm expecting Liverpool to be a better side to watch again this year, and I'm expecting Lovren to have a better year. I think Clyne is an upgrade on Johnson/Manquillo and I think a midfield axis of Henderson, Can and Milner will be better than Henderson, Lucas and Joe Allen. Benteke, Ings and Origi look to be an upgrade on Ballotelli, Borini and Lambert, so I'm hoping there's more goals in the team. With Coutinho, Firmino and Ibe also involved at the top of the pitch, I'm expecting more creativity, and some options for Rodgers if, for example, Coutinho is having one of those games he still has where he is anonymous.

I think they can challenge for a top 4, but are probably 5th or 6th favourites for it. I think Arsenal will be strong, I think United will mature more under van Gaal, so I think the best chance would be of maybe a Manchester City slow start and mutiny. Wouldn't it be nice to win a cup and finish top 4 at the expense of Man City? I think there's a chance, but the first few months fixtures are not kind. Survive that period, be in touching distance and they'll have a decent shot at a top 4 finish.

Prediction -
1st Arsenal
2nd Man United
3rd Chelsea
4th Man City
5th Liverpool
6th Tottenham
7th Everton

Going Down

20th Watford
19th West Ham
18th Norwich (but I'd be worried about Villa)

Boycey

I'm going to buck the trend and say that I think City may be the team to beat this year.... They haven't defended their title particularly well either time they've won it but that can happen, only exceptional teams have managed that ;-). Their central spine is strong and if Aguero stays fit they'll be there or thereabouts.

Chelsea might suffer from a championship winning hangover too but if anyone can galvanize them Jose is the man. If Costa remains injury prone will Remy and Falcao pick up the slack?

There is temptation to pick Arsenal but always the suspicion that they will flatter to deceive. Giroud although good never convinces me he'd be the difference in a title fight...

I think both United and Liverpool have turned over too many players in the last 2 summers to mount a serious challenge. Both could be very exciting but prone to giving away stupid points (actually as a United fan I'd settle for exciting)

AZOffaly

If Kompany and Toure get back to their form of 2-3 years ago, then Citeh will be hard beat, especially if Aguero stays fit. But I'm not sure they can or will.

pullhard

Who's going to be this Year Harry Kane for my fantasy team?

finbar o tool

Quote from: pullhard on August 05, 2015, 03:57:01 PM
Who's going to be this Year Harry Kane for my fantasy team?

without going for the obvious choices like Aguero etc and keeping it low value, i would say a hidden/forgotten gem might be Jay Rodriguez from Southampton. he is back fit again and knocked in a few goals pre season.
also expecting a decent season from Lukaku at Everton. not exactly great value though.
Mitrovic from Newcastle might go well too but not to the extent that Kane did last season!!
Payet of West Ham could also be a points winner.
there is talks that Adebayor may be headed to Aston Villa, might work out well for him?
the problem with the last 3 though is the quality of players around them might hinder there scoring rather than help!!
Berahino could go well again at a cheap enough price.
overall i would take a chance on Rodriguez as a little surprise package this season.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

finbar o tool

of course, you could always stick with Kane....

slight increase in price this year though!!
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

ONeill

For Arsenal to win it (suppose like any side) they need their goalscoring midfielders to play 30+ games. Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil, Sanchez, Oxlade, Cazorla and even Theo can weigh in with 10+ tallies to complement anything Giroud and a fit Welbeck will provide.

I have a feeling Utd will announce their return as contenders in explosive fashion. Could come down to the last couple of weeks to separate the three. If Hazard picks up an injury I think they'll struggle what with Costa on DLA.

1. Man U
2. Arse
3. Chel
4. City

Surprise package: Bournemouth
In danger: Spurs
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

GJL

1. Utd.
2. Chelsea
3. Arsenal
4. City
5. Liverpool
6. Spurs.

Boycey

laoislad

Had 30seconds left to think of 1 more but couldn't think of them.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

J70

No idea how Liverpool will go this year (does anyone??), so until we see a bit from them, I could not justify placing them in the top four.

So:

Chelsea
Arsenal
Man Utd
Man City
Liverpool
Spurs

Three promoted teams to go down

heganboy

from pool thread:

I'm actually looking forward to a very interesting season, I don't think Chelsea will be as relentless first half of the season as they were last year which will make it a good run for everyone til Christmas. I think City, United and Liverpool will all be erratic in the first few months, I get the feeling Arsenal will be a bit steadier, Cech is such a great signing for them. I don't really see spurs threatening much this year. But of the top 5 I think every one of them has a shot at going on a great run. Whichever of them sparks first will make it an interesting battle with Chelsea at the top, I just don't think that any of the rest has the squad or management to beat Chelsea and Mourinho unless he has a horrible run of injuries. City, united and Liverpool will all be significantly altered from last year and I think 2 of that 3 will round out the CL places behind Chelsea as winners and Arsenal in second. City have a more settled and IMHO better squad than Liverpool or United, so I'd have them likely 3rd, but I don't see that United team gelling first half of the season, so Liverpool 4th and United 5th. I think there's a big gulf between those 5 and the rest of the field.

going down:
sunderland norwich leicester

hoping newcastle and stoke (after the first game) have good seasons
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

brokencrossbar1

f**k, Dion Dublin is our only backer!!!