2015/2016 Premier League

Started by ONeill, August 03, 2015, 07:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Last year nearly everyone called it moreorless correctly (apart from the Delusional Brendans) - http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=24764.0

Any changes this year? I think Utd will be challenging this year. Any from Chelsea, Arsenal or Utd to win it. City might fall away. A sneaky 4th - Southampton?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ballinaman

1st Arsenal
2nd Chelsea
3rd United
4th Liverpool

18th Sunderland
19th Norwich
20th Watford

laoislad

1 - Liverpool
2 - Stoke
3 - Crystal Palace
4 - West Ham

18 - Everton
19 - Norwich
20 - Newcastle
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Captain Obvious

Same top four in the same order as last season i think.

Chelsea
Manchester City
Arsenal
Manchester United

CD

1. Chelsea
2. Arsenal
3. Man U
4. Liverpool

18. Leicester
19. West Ham (I hope)
20. Bournemouth

A lot will depend on goals - If Utd don't bring in a striker before the end of the window, I think Liverpool might just pip them for third. Utd have strengthened better than any other top 6 team in midfield but I don't see where the goals are going to come from and I don't rate any of their centre half options.
Chelsea are Chelsea and have the best defence and the best player (Hazard) in the league.
Arsenal, like Utd need another striker although Walcott might solve that problem if he can stay fit. They also need a holding midfielder and have done for a decade! Coquelin is not the answer, nor is Flamini. Wilshire is vastly overrated and I can't see him getting much game time.
Liverpool, much like last season are hard to predict. Milner is a good addition as you know exactly what he'll do week to week. Firmino is an unknown quantity and I'd be surprised if he makes an impact pre Christmas. The system will also have to be tweaked to suit Benteke and exploit his power and pace. There are goals with Coutinho, Benteke and Sturridge but there are question marks over his ability to stay fit.
City are weaker than last season. Some of the old guard look a bit stale and are half a yard slower. Silva, Nasri, Toure aren't e threat they were a few seasons back and their back four are average. I predict a managerial change before Christmas!
Either Spurs, Palace or Southampton will start well, then fade in January.

West Ham to go down. Bilic is a loose cannon and Valencia a big blow - Alardice won points with a poor side playing an awful brand of football. Bilic can't do that.
Bournemouth will do a Burnley whilst playing a nicer brand of football.
Leicester will really miss Pearson.
Norwich and Watford might just have enough goals and pace to survive.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

thewobbler

I'm going to predict that City bottom out this season and finish outside the top 4.

They'd the look of a side who were happy to coast along last year, and unless they start strong will all fall out with the manager and throw strops.

Their only saving grace is that neither Spurs not Liverpool have the quality to completely push them out of CL places unless they get a hot streak spell from a striker.

Don't think Man Utd are up to a league challenge yet. They're a big, physical team and will score a lot from set pieces, but they won't cut too many teams open; apart from Mata and Rooney they lack finesse.

So it's a straight up battle between Chelsea and Arsenal for the crown. Neither side can afford to do without their key striker. Perhaps more pertinent is that john terry surely cannot defy age and play play another full, injury free season. If he does, I'd back Chelsea all the way. If not it could be an entertaining race.

JoG2

1. Liverpool
2. Man Utd
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal
5. City

beer baron

Arsenal for the win with Chelsea second and City third,close for 4th between Utd and Liverpool and Norwich will be relegated i think and i can see Leicester going down or just surviving,Cambiasso was a massive player for them last season and will be a huge loss on the field and in the dressing room and Pearson leaving is a blow to the side too.

Expect big years from Ozil his last few months last year after returning from injury he looked excellent and his workrate  has increased,he might finally have settled into the English game and can cause serious problems for any side,i think Oscar could have a big season for Chelsea, has shown in patches just how good he is but hasn't really done it consistently but he's experienced enough now to step up and be one  of their main men if he has it mentally because he has all the talent in the world.

Farrandeelin

I hope Villa go down. I'm sick of them finishing down in the middle of the bottom half of the league every season.

Title will be interesting, Chelsea will be favourites obviously. Utd and Arsenal will push them hard I think. Not convinced about city either. It could end up being between them and Liverpool for 4th spot.

As for who WILL go down, I think Bournemouth, Norwich and any of Sunderland, Leicester, Newcastle for the remaining place.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

DennistheMenace

Chelsea
Arsenal
Man Utd
Man City
Tottenham
Liverpool
Everton
Southampton
Swansea
Stoke
Leicester
West Brom
Crystal Palace
West Ham
Aston Villa
Newcastle
Norwich
Sunderland
Watford
Bournemouth

finbar o tool

Arsenal
Man City
Chelsea
Man Utd

Liverpool
Everton

Spurs
Southampton
Stoke
Swansea
West Brom
West Ham
Newcastle
Crystal Palace
Aston Villa
Bournemouth
Leicester

Watford
Sunderland
Norwich

not an Arsenal fan, i just feel they have a big season in them this year. i AM a Man U fan and its hard to put them in 4th! if the new guys click they could very well get 2nd even, i think thats more realistic for next year though. Man City need Bony to start firing. and Chelsea need another quality striker, dont trust Falcao to do the business for them. Man U need another striker too IMO, unless Depay is going to fill that role. the group between 7th and 16th could actually go anyway. there is also 2 or 3 of that group that could get into the top 6. when you look at it like that, it IS a very good competitive league in fairness!
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

magpie seanie

To me there are a lot of questions over Manchester City. If Kompany doesn't return to his form of previous seasons where will they be? He is the rock upon which any title bid will be built. If they're not solid at the back and winning they have a good few guys who will just phone it in, as we saw a good bit last season.

I think Sterling was a bit of a luxury and unnecessary purchase. They could do with another defender and a good all round midfielder who offers more than the Ferns.

nrico2006

City are a side on the slide.  Silva, Toure, Kompany and Aguero were/are there key men but Kompany has been terrible for a while now and Toure was useless last season.  Silva didn't have a great season either and Aguero is more than likely due another multiple-month missing injury this season.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

finbar o tool

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 05, 2015, 12:35:07 PM
I think Sterling was a bit of a luxury and unnecessary purchase. They could do with another defender and a good all round midfielder who offers more than the Ferns.

Agreed. Mangala needs to step up to the plate this season too and maybe solidify a partnership with Kompany.
they could also have spent that 50mill on a very good partner for Aguero.

i actually think Liverpool have bought well this summer. i think Clyne will be a great addition and Milner will prove to be an excellent buy too i think and they have Benteke, Ings, and Sturridge when, or if, he ever gets fit again! Firminio will also prove hes worth the price tag and if he can link up with Coutinho or Henderson or Lallana they could be very impressive going forward.
thats the big IF though. if they can link up and gel together well quickly. they might need a season to get it all together.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

magpie seanie

I agree, I think Liverpool have bought very well. Milner will be the transfer of the season I think.