Kilkenny (the place, not the team)

Started by tyroneman, July 16, 2014, 06:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Have never been and so am planning a trip down there later this summer. 

Any recommendations on what to see / do / where to eat / drink etc?

Under Lights

Was at a stag do this time last year. Loved it. Stayed in the Kilford Arms- which was 100% for a stag do.
Langtons seems to be the place to go on the Saturday night anyway. Any of the bars up the town were very busy on the friday night with plenty of live music. During the day we went to a beer garden by the riverside. Going back for another stag do to it this October.
Seems to be a lovely town overall where I would like to take the family to as well.

laoislad

Tyroneman. Kilkenny is one of the best city's in Ireland IMO. I was out in Kilkenny every weekend when I still lived at home.
Are you bringing the family or going with a group of lads because you will have a great time with both but I can recommend different places for both. Plenty of places to eat,drink etc
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Canalman

Nice enough spot but be aware that the nightlife finishes early enough if that is what you are interested in.

Garda checkpoints usually on a Sunday morning on the roads out of the town so be careful with allowing time for the alcohol to leave the system if you have been on a stag.

tyroneman

Quote from: laoislad on July 16, 2014, 08:14:23 AM
Tyroneman. Kilkenny is one of the best city's in Ireland IMO. I was out in Kilkenny every weekend when I still lived at home.
Are you bringing the family or going with a group of lads because you will have a great time with both but I can recommend different places for both. Plenty of places to eat,drink etc

Heading with the family (wife and teenager). Any suggestions welcome.

Especially a good spot to watch the football / hurling

Orior

During the "research my family tree" period of my life, I once phoned up a woman in Kilkenny to clarify if she was a relation.

"No, and never phone here again" says she.

"Okay, thanks anyway" says me.

And I phoned her again  about 5 times over the next couple of days just to wind her up, the oul hag.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Aristo 60

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Canalman on July 16, 2014, 09:20:00 AM
Nice enough spot but be aware that the nightlife finishes early enough if that is what you are interested in.

Garda checkpoints usually on a Sunday morning on the roads out of the town so be careful with allowing time for the alcohol to leave the system if you have been on a stag.
Just back up from few days and Guards were stopping just up from the Lyrath on Sunday Morning , you  are spoilt for choice for eating and drinking but would really  recommend  Little Italy (oppisite Langtons )is a great spot for a bite to eat , , in terms of things to do the reptile Zoo at Gowran was a big hit with our four year old (not sure what a teenager would make of it ) they might be more into Castlecomer discovery park

tyroneman

5 Sams

Was There for the brothers stag quite a while ago. I'll not pretend to remember anything about it apart from the Wobbler getting acquainted with a bean Garda late at night and not in the romantic way ??? Have been back since on numerous occasions in a more sober fashion. Great town. Dander about and call into the wee pubs and have the crack with the locals and then end up in Paris, Texas or Langtons. Love the place.
The Aristocrat Years

laoislad

Quote from: tyroneman on July 16, 2014, 07:42:19 PM

Langton's as suggested is great for food and watching the matches.I met my wife there so I have bitter sweet memories of the place  ;D
Other good places to eat are Zuni's which is on Patrick Street but it is a little expensive,Ripley's which is at the back of Dunnes Stores,The Italian Connection on Parliament Street just down from the Court House.

As for things to do. There is the tour of Kilkenny Castle and gardens.You could climb the tower at St Canice's Cathedral.
You could always drive out to Woodstock Gardens in Inistioge which is also a lovely village itself.
You could go to Discovery Park in Castlecomer or also on that same road out to Castlecomer are Dunmore Caves.

To be honest there is hardly a bad pub/restaurant in Kilkenny City but if your with your family best to stay out of a few like Matt the Millers at the bridge and Paris Texas on High Street as they will get full of younger ones later on in the evening.
If you like Guinness I can promise you won't get a better pint of it anywhere than in Syd Harkins on Rose Inn Street.

ps be careful not to insult their hurlers,they take it very seriously down there and they also have no time for football men...!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

tyroneman

Quote from: laoislad on July 16, 2014, 11:39:45 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on July 16, 2014, 07:42:19 PM

Langton's as suggested is great for food and watching the matches.I met my wife there so I have bitter sweet memories of the place  ;D
Other good places to eat are Zuni's which is on Patrick Street but it is a little expensive,Ripley's which is at the back of Dunnes Stores,The Italian Connection on Parliament Street just down from the Court House.

As for things to do. There is the tour of Kilkenny Castle and gardens.You could climb the tower at St Canice's Cathedral.
You could always drive out to Woodstock Gardens in Inistioge which is also a lovely village itself.
You could go to Discovery Park in Castlecomer or also on that same road out to Castlecomer are Dunmore Caves.

To be honest there is hardly a bad pub/restaurant in Kilkenny City but if your with your family best to stay out of a few like Matt the Millers at the bridge and Paris Texas on High Street as they will get full of younger ones later on in the evening.
If you like Guinness I can promise you won't get a better pint of it anywhere than in Syd Harkins on Rose Inn Street.

ps be careful not to insult their hurlers,they take it very seriously down there and they also have no time for football men...!

;) no worries there. I have the utmost respect for the Cats. And after last weekend I could happily avoid chatting football for a while.......

FermGael

Anywhere that would be showing the Fermanagh v Monaghan match in Saturday evening in Kilkenny?
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

screenexile

Had my stag there and it was a great spot but couldn't really tell you much more than above.

Spent Saturday in Lanigans which was great craic and a decent bar for watching sport in although I made a complete show of myself trying to drink that yard of ale :(

illdecide

Quote from: FermGael on May 16, 2017, 03:22:28 PM
Anywhere that would be showing the Fermanagh v Monaghan match in Saturday evening in Kilkenny?

Just put you into death notices there FermGael...did you not read back on the locals and football ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch