What are the day to day signs of Britishness for nationalists in NI ?

Started by seafoid, February 20, 2016, 02:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: BennyCake on February 24, 2016, 12:20:28 PM
The North being part of UK, understandably has an influence from there ie. TV, papers, radio, sport etc.

But in the South there's too much attachment and interest in all things British. I like a game of soccer as much as the next man, but the amount of coverage on RTE/TV3 is sickening. Radio shows constantly jibbering on about last nights British soaps, reality tv, and the obsession with having British celebrities on Irish chat shows/panel shows etc. I don't read magazines but I'd say it's the same in them. You have Irish editions of rags like the Sun/Mirror. I wouldn't wipe me hole with them.

The lack of things Irish/GAA up here is understandable given the sectarianism in the media, but what's the excuse down there?
Post colonial cringe factor.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: T Fearon on February 21, 2016, 09:33:36 PM
People voted that N Ireland's constitutional status can only be changed by the majority consent of its people.That confirmed the acceptance of British Rule in the North,and in fact changed nothing,as this was the principle in play while the killings were going on.

As I said before it is akin to the British succumbing to Nazism in 1945 simply to save lives.

Maybe the Brits would have voted in overwhelming numbers to succumb to Nazism after 25 years of a brutal war.

ashman

Cornation street , eastenders , man utd , Liverpool , Sky tv , TOWIE, celtic , big brother , .

seafoid

The latest version of the passport is class. there's a map of Ireland with no border