Early morning pints in Dublin

Started by The Watcher Pat, July 31, 2008, 12:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wherefromreferee?

Quote from: ziggysego on July 31, 2008, 03:35:55 PM
I've never understood the need for a drink before a match.

There is nothing worse than standing beside or being in the company of blocked teenagers or adults at a game.  A few is grand, but there is no need for a feed of pints.  If your train leaves at 7.17 (dunno where from) you'll be in the city at around 10.  Thats some pints drank before the game.  Make sure somebody at home tapes it for you  ;D
In your Endo!

Donagh

I think the The Dockers is the one we used to go to after all nighters when I was young and foolish. The woman used to live around the corner from it. As I remember it took quite a while for the bar staff to warm to us. 

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Donagh on July 31, 2008, 03:50:33 PM
I think the The Dockers is the one we used to go to after all nighters when I was young and foolish. The woman used to live around the corner from it. As I remember it took quite a while for the bar staff to warm to us. 

i think its gone now Donagh used to love a pint in there and a sausage sandwhich ah them was the days
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Donagh

Quote from: wherefromreferee? on July 31, 2008, 03:46:11 PM
There is nothing worse than standing beside or being in the company of blocked teenagers or adults at a game.

Dunno about that. At the match last Sunday there were about half a dozen teenagers with drink on board who were mostly good craic (after they had been told to tame the language a bit) but by far the most annoying was the other p***k beside me chain smoking the whole way through. Nothing worse than a reformed smoker I suppose...

ziggysego

Quote from: themanwhowasntthere on July 31, 2008, 03:45:16 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on July 31, 2008, 03:35:55 PM
I've never understood the need for a drink before a match.

Now - are ye talking about watching or playing???

Watching. I don't play.
Testing Accessibility

Zapatista

The 'Dockers' sounds like a gay bar Donagh. If you are arriving with the women after an all nighter it is no wonder they didn't warm to ye ;)

ziggysego

Quote from: Zapatista on July 31, 2008, 03:58:13 PM
The 'Dockers' sounds like a gay bar Donagh. If you are arriving with the women after an all nighter it is no wonder they didn't warm to ye ;)

Oooh I don't know, prehaps they were up for a challenge.
Testing Accessibility

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Zapatista on July 31, 2008, 03:58:13 PM

na it definitely wasn't a gay bar Zap its just that it was well beside the docks ,loads of well built ladies used to frequent the bar ;) :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

dodo

Trader Johns on Moore Street is a grand spot for a pint on the way to work.

mylestheslasher

Whats the point having pints that early before a match - sure you won't remember the half of it? I never drink before a game at all, normally have a few to drown my sorrow afterwards though. Too many drunken eejits hanging around grounds half locked before games anyhow in my opinion, especially the slobbering they are at and some of us bringing kids to the game.

Tommy Tight Lips

if someone has worked hard all week and are spending well earned cash to go and follow their county then its entirely up to them if they want to drink pints before a game,its all part of the days crack.its not impossible to drink pints before a game and behave urself at the match.yes it is true u can often see some young lads with a few beers on slabbering with every 2nd word a swear word but ull also find plenty of foul mouthed people at football games with no drink on board

fred the red

Quote from: Tommy Tight Lips on July 31, 2008, 10:58:42 PM
if someone has worked hard all week and are spending well earned cash to go and follow their county then its entirely up to them if they want to drink pints before a game,its all part of the days crack.its not impossible to drink pints before a game and behave urself at the match.yes it is true u can often see some young lads with a few beers on slabbering with every 2nd word a swear word but ull also find plenty of foul mouthed people at football games with no drink on board

Here Here

tyrone86

There's a quare difference in 3 or 4 pints before the match than young wans pinning bottles of Buckfast and half bottles on a bus to the game

ziggysego

I'd rather drink after the game. Far be it from me to deny anyone a drink if they so wish to have one before a drink.

Although.... rather the Dubs weren't allowed into the pubs before a game. Nothing worse than arriving to a game early, so for it to be put back for the Dubs getting out of the pubs ;)
Testing Accessibility

ludermor

The boars head would be the cleanest, a lot o the early house would have a lot of the party gang finishing up from Friday night. But they are good craic if you are in the mood for the crowd. Slatterys is back as an early house and supposed to be decent compared to what it was. The black horse near tara street is a mental spot, full to the rims with drugs, was in it once and couldn't handle it at all. The windjammer is still on the go and Ned's up the road from it but it is a rough old Dublin crowd. The dockers is dead and gone alright, it was a decent spot. Hughes is a good spot as well, it is beside the bridewell and gets a lot of the cops coming in for a few after the night shift so the gang is decent enough.