Down v Laois

Started by Trevor Hill, July 05, 2009, 06:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Hill

Reckon it will be very close myself, the draw looks a good bet at 15/2.
I thought Aidan Carr would have been named in the starting team. I`d like to see a change at full back, with McKernan playing further out the field if he is fit. Good to see Ambi back.

Pangurban

Clearly Ross still does know what his best line out is and after two years in charge still feels the need to experiment. If this team takes the field on Saturday, i will be amazed and more than a little pessimistic.  We should win this one, we have the players to win it, but dont underrate the capacity of our management to screw it up, with some crazy defensive strategy that will allow Laios to come unto us . We need to go out attack minded and blow them away early

downredblack

Who's taking the free's / 45's ? Close in we have Hughes / McComiskey but anything out the field a bit and we are in unknown territory .Hanna is definitely one for the future but a bit light at the moment , Adian Carr has more to offer and I think will start . Mourne Rover mentioned that FizPatrick might have a fair chance of starting and I would hope that he does but what would  Ross's thinking be to name Kearney (no harm to him but unknown outside of Down) and then to start FitzPatrick (an u21 , more or less untried at senior) ? What would be gained by this ?
Can't see McKernan suddenly being moved up the field now , Ross has made his mind up on him rightly or wrongly and I can't see him playing anywhere other than full back .
If Ambrose is to start this week , why did he only get 5mins against London ? Surely the London game was ideal for him to get some game time and to at least break a sweat . Anyway great to have him back and best of luck to him .

I would expect Down to win this but it will take a major improvement on what we have seen so far , on the field and on the line .

Up Down .

bcarrier

Another fine for Down .

southdown

Is the game on TV?  Im in England at the minute, anyone have any web liks that might show the game?

Delighted to see Ambrose back on the starting 15.

Trevor Hill

The game isn't on TV, but you should get some commentary on Five FM.
This could be a tight game, but I think Down might just do enough to beat Laois, even if the weather forecast is correct. This team have something to prove and the time to prove it is tomorrow night. They are not going to win an All Ireland, but we all know they are better than they have shown over the past few months.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Trevor Hill on December 14, 1973, 02:12:41 PM
This could be a tight game, but I think Down might just do enough to beat Laois, even if the weather forecast is correct. This team have something to prove and the time to prove it is tomorrow night. They are not going to win an All Ireland, but we all know they are better than they have shown over the past few months.

Do ya know what,I feel exactly the same way about Laois and their chances..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ONeill

I think Down can edge this in Newry. There's great potential in that full forward line, surely some day they'll deliver on that.

A contender for extra time.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

In the Onion Bag

I too am pleased to see Ambrose back, I hope he is fully fit.  
However, despite my hopes,  my instinct is that Laois are a stage beyond the current Down set up.   I hope I am wrong

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on July 10, 2009, 11:32:58 PM
However, despite my hopes,  my instinct is that Laois are a stage beyond the current Down set up.   I hope I am wrong

I don't agree with you,but I hope you are right....
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Trevor Hill

Does anyone have the team sheets from last years game?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Trevor Hill on July 10, 2009, 11:55:16 PM
Does anyone have the team sheets from last years game?

Down team v Laois 2008

1. Brendan McVeigh (An Ríocht),
2. Luke Howard (Ath Bhriain),
3. Martin Cole (Caisleán Ruairi),
4. Kevin mc guigan (Seamrogai An Iuir),
5. Aidan Carr (Cluain Daimh),
6. Colm murney (caislean ruairi)
7. Paul Murphy (Baile Cholmain),
8. Dan Gordon (Captain) (Loch An Oilean),
9. Ambrose Rodgers (An Cloch Fhada),
10. Kevin McKernan (Boireann),
11. Brendan Coulter (Droichead Mhaigh Eo),
12. Danny Hughes (Sabhall),
13. John Clarke (An Ríocht),
14. Ronan Murtagh (Baile Cholmain),
15. John Fegan (Cluain Daimh)

Laois team v Down 2008

1. Michael Nolan (Portlaoise)
2. Cahir Healy (Portlaoise)
3. Darren Rooney (Clonaslee St Manman's)
4. Joe Higgins (St Joseph's)
5. Peter O'Leary (O'Dempsey's)
6. Tom Kelly (St Joseph's)
7. Padraig McMahon (Ballyroan Abbey)
8. Padraig Clancy (Timahoe)
9. Brendan Quigley (Timahoe)
10. Barry Brennan (Graiguecullen)
11. Brian McCormack (Portlaoise)
12. Billy Sheehan (Emo)
13. Colm Parkinson (Portlaoise)
14. Colm Kelly (St Joseph's)
15. Donal Kingston (Barrowhouse)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Trevor Hill

Last years Down team was much stronger than the current team.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Trevor Hill on July 11, 2009, 12:12:08 AM
Last years Down team was much stronger than the current team.

Was thinking the same thing about Leix
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on July 10, 2009, 11:32:58 PM

I hope you are wrong too

I cheered in 91 and 94 for Down.  I would love to see them beat the Queens County
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something