62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Interview with him after the fight.

Second last paragraph is a good one.

The working class hero comes home by Trevor Newcombe

Ricky Hatton was greeted by an ecstatic throng of fantical fans as he arrived back this morning from his triumphant and rousing victory in Las Vegas. A tired and emotional Hatton declared himself to be 'drained' and 'extremely proud' of his dramatic victory against the legendary José Luis Castillo.

In the quiet and relative sanity of a Wythenshaw hotel, Ricky Hatton gave the Manchester Evening News his first exclusive interview since his victory in the United States.

Hatton was not surprised by the fact that he defeated the highly rated Mexican, but was astounded by the nature of his win.

"I got him with a shot to the liver, which is a punch you rarely see thrown nowadays. I had been watching old videos going back as far as the twenties and thirties even, What you notice is that in them days, the fighters could throw a whole range of punches the likes of which you don't see no more.
Guys like Kid Berg, Joe Louis etc. The 'bowler' punch is something that I had never seen before, yet if delivered properly it can be lethal".

As for the future, Hatton has a very clear schedule and is aware that with his stunning victory, he is now very much in the radar of the vast American viewing public.

"Pay-for-view is where it's at, and hopefully last week will have shown the Americans that I am worth watching. Financially it is a dream come true, and if things go the way I plan, then I could secure my long term future in the next few years".

Hatton reacted brusquely to suggestions that between fights he indulges too much in the finer things of life. He is notorious for loving a good fry up and the odd pint of bitter when not preparing for a fight.

"Look, I've never hidden my liking for nice grub but you saw me in Vegas, tell me who was fitter, Castillo or me? As far as I know they don't have fry ups or Boddingtons in Mexico! What you have to remember is that whenever I am asked to fight, I am in great shape".

Hatton then spoke about the relationship between himself and Wayne Rooney, a fact that astonished many observers given Hatton's frequently stated love for Manchester City.

"Wayne and me go back a long time, as he is from a family of boxers. I fought his cousin David who boxed for the Croxteth club and Wayne saw the fight, since then he has followed my career with great interest. He is a great lad and we don't have none of that stupid hatred that you get between certain clubs. Wayne could have actually been good at the boxing if he had chosen to go that way instead of football."

Hatton was touched by the level of support that he received in Las Vegas, among whom were Rio Ferdinand, Joe Cole and Wes Browne. Did he see any blurring between the sports of football and boxing?

"I have a lot of mates who are footballers, Robbie (Fowler) and Joey (Barton) took me up to watch Rangers as they are big fans, but to be honest I really didn't enjoy the atmosphere at all. It might seem strange coming from me ,but the atmosphere was aggressive without being hard if that makes sense. I really didn't understand them at all. I then went with Wayne and Roy a few years back to watch Celtic and it was magic. Their fans were passionate and supportive and gave us a great welcome without getting in our faces all the time. Celtic has a lot in common with City in that they are the people's team of their city and they haven't forgot their roots, a real working class team which does credit to the city they represent".
The same may be said of Ricky Hatton a man who has brought great distinction to his city without compromising his background or his working class values.
Tbc....

scottish-dub

selik are a scottish team and should not play in the english league, they should remain in Scotland

Anyway why would they play in England- league fo Eire would be perfect for them  ::)

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: scottish-dub on June 27, 2007, 02:57:13 PM
selik are a scottish team and should not play in the english league, they should remain in Scotland

Anyway why would they play in England- league fo Eire would be perfect for them  ::)

What would be the point in going from one small pond to another small pond!!!
Tbc....

scottish-dub

my point exactly -no logic -Celtic were formed in 1888 north of the border in Glasgow -that is where they should stay 8)

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: scottish-dub on June 27, 2007, 03:58:30 PM
my point exactly -no logic -Celtic were formed in 1888 north of the border in Glasgow -that is where they should stay 8)

Your obviously not a Celtic fan!

Scotland = small pond
League of Ireland = small pond
EPL = much bigger pond with more money and better stage from which to attract the calibre of players we should have.
Tbc....

scottish-dub

how would you attract the players "you should have" take a look at the moment no club with all the money at the moment can attract the players they want

Im not a celtic fan but I follow scottish football

last season they took milan to extra time in the knock out stages
Rangers went out to away goals in the knock out stages the season previous

progress is being made

bottom line -scotths clubs -stay in scotland

lynchbhoy

I think now is the right time for Dermot desmond to use his world famous powers of persuesion (brown envelopes) and talk to the english FA - after greasing their palms with cash - they can throw out Sheff utd, but also to calm down the argument, they can kick out west ham too...thereby leaving a 'spare' slot in the english prem league.

Celtic can take this and get the riches and also the calibre of players required to keep them at the top table of footballs eliite.

there will most likely never be another such opportunity !
:)

scottish-dub

I agree- dont think any of the remaining clubs in the championship, div 1,2, or 3 would mind seeing celtic go straight into the top tier- dont think rangers would object either ::)

perhaps instead of english teams being relegated to the champioship they have to play in the spl- after 6 years the spl will be a decent league

the championship have to get promoted to serie A  ::) ::) ::) ::)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: scottish-dub on June 27, 2007, 04:51:37 PM
how would you attract the players "you should have" take a look at the moment no club with all the money at the moment can attract the players they want

progress is being made

I can see your point
but there is no money for teams in the spl

progress is being made, and it will however come to a halt when the calibre of player at these clubs are just not good enough to out play the milans and barcelona's of the world

EPL money will rectify that.
Also by keeping a second string in the spl, Celtic will no longer be impossible to beat - promoting youth player set up at Celtic and a competitve spl. Crowds will love that.
Also as they can buy bigger name players, Celtic will no longer poach all the decent players from hibs, hearts etc. I can just see the spl becomming more competitive. SPL games on setanta last season were far more enjoyable to watch tham 90% of epl games I witnessed. Rangers will improve by default of having to stop buying costly overseas players.
It has to be good for scotland
where's LDA....

lynchbhoy

Quote from: scottish-dub on June 27, 2007, 04:58:30 PM
I agree- dont think any of the remaining clubs in the championship, div 1,2, or 3 would mind seeing celtic go straight into the top tier- dont think rangers would object either ::)

perhaps instead of english teams being relegated to the champioship they have to play in the spl- after 6 years the spl will be a decent league

the championship have to get promoted to serie A  ::) ::) ::) ::)
if Celtic were 'invited' and a single slot was open, whats to complain about.
Money conquers all  - If rangers were not invited, what grounds have they to 'appeal' - likewise the english clubs outwith the epl.

as for the rest of your post - I just dont understand it...sorry

scottish-dub

2nd part I was just talknig b0llix or more b0llix 8)

money talks -yes but teams in the championship such as birmingham, sunderland, wolves are richer than rangers and celtic so there money will talk louder

lynchbhoy

Quote from: scottish-dub on June 27, 2007, 05:06:00 PM
2nd part I was just talknig b0llix or more b0llix 8)

money talks -yes but teams in the championship such as birmingham, sunderland, wolves are richer than rangers and celtic so there money will talk louder

they may have rich benefactors
but they have not the same kind of allure as celtic or rangers have
and its the increasing of TV rights money which is why epl would ultimately want either or both scots clubs to join.

wolves dont have that euro pedigree or world wide fan base now or am I wrong there? :D

scottish-dub

no spot on on both accounts

however a team like wolves have english pedigree  -celtic and rangers dont as they are scottish 8)

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 27, 2007, 04:58:45 PM
Quote from: scottish-dub on June 27, 2007, 04:51:37 PM

progress is being made

I can see your point
but there is no money for teams in the spl

progress is being made, and it will however come to a halt when the calibre of player at these clubs are just not good enough to out play the milans and barcelona's of the world

EPL money will rectify that.
Also by keeping a second string in the spl, Celtic will no longer be impossible to beat - promoting youth player set up at Celtic and a competitve spl. Crowds will love that.
Also as they can buy bigger name players, Celtic will no longer poach all the decent players from hibs, hearts etc. I can just see the spl becomming more competitive. SPL games on setanta last season were far more enjoyable to watch tham 90% of epl games I witnessed. Rangers will improve by default of having to stop buying costly overseas players.
It has to be good for scotland
where's LDA....

Here ;D

Its a complete non-starter. The biggest reason is that England doesnt need Celtic and Rangers, the Premiership is already filthy rich without them. Why would the big English clubs want to share cash with two Scottish teams. Plus despite OF fans having a go at the SPL it also provides them with an annual Champions League place, that wouldnt be the case down south. Be interesting also to see where the OF fans would go when their teams werent guarenteed a steady stream of trophies...notoriously fickle supporters.
Id be happy enough personally if they f*cked off to England and even better if they took their grounds and supporters south of the border too but it wont happen.

Celtic might well have missed a trick by not going for Aberdeen's Russel Anderson who today signed for Keane's Sunderland for £1m. Better centre half than McManus and Caldwell and a good buy at that price.

mannix

CELTIC,
imagine if they actually went and joined the epl, we would never hear the end of the whinging when the guaranteed competition from only one team was replaced by about 10 more ranger quality teams and then you would really get sick of it when then top end of the epl beat them in every othe game.SPL is the weakest excuse of all time for a league, honestly , who will challenge the big 2 inthe next 20 years? Gretna?