The Official Tennis Thread

Started by Doogie Browser, January 26, 2010, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 03, 2019, 10:33:52 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 03, 2019, 10:02:25 PM
It's clearly (six-time French Open champion) Steffi Graf.

My favourite player. Phenomenal

Incredible player and unbelievable career, especially for someone with a sliced backhand

TabClear

Quote from: gawa316 on July 03, 2019, 11:36:41 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 03, 2019, 10:33:52 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 03, 2019, 10:02:25 PM
It's clearly (six-time French Open champion) Steffi Graf.

My favourite player. Phenomenal

Incredible player and unbelievable career, especially for someone with a sliced backhand

The excitement from commentators on the rare occasions she pulled out a topspin backhand was hilarious. Like a mother watching baby taking its first step!  ;D

Loved watching her as well, fantastic athlete. Am I right in that she is the only player to have pulled off the Golden Slam? (4 majors & Olympic Title in one year?)

gallsman

Yes. She's also the only person to have won the grand slam on three different surfaces and to have won each of the slams four times. She was incredible. Seles was on the road to potentially being better than her until the stabbing.

oakleaflad

Quote from: gallsman on July 04, 2019, 09:15:39 AM
Yes. She's also the only person to have won the grand slam on three different surfaces and to have won each of the slams four times. She was incredible. Seles was on the road to potentially being better than her until the stabbing.
Surely to win the grand slam you have to do it on all 3 surfaces by default? Anyway, others have done it too.

Discussion has to be between Graf, S Williams and Court imo.

quit yo jibbajabba

johnnycool

quit yo jibbajabba

Wrestlin be her sport comrade

nrico2006

Quote from: oakleaflad on July 04, 2019, 12:07:17 PM
Surely to win the grand slam you have to do it on all 3 surfaces by default? Anyway, others have done it too.

Graff won what they labelled a golden slam, which is winning everything in the one year plus the Olympics.  Others have won a career golden slam which is doing it all but not in the same year.  Winning each slam at least once is the career grand slam. 

The crazy thing with regards to Graff was that she was only 30 when she packed it in, which wasn't seen as young at the time but puts her 22 majors into perspective given that the like of Serena has been playing 7/8 years longer.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

TabClear

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 04, 2019, 03:44:06 PM

Graff won what they labelled a golden slam, which is winning everything in the one year plus the Olympics.  Others have won a career golden slam which is doing it all but not in the same year.  Winning each slam at least once is the career grand slam. 

The crazy thing with regards to Graff was that she was only 30 when she packed it in, which wasn't seen as young at the time but puts her 22 majors into perspective given that the like of Serena has been playing 7/8 years longer.

And there is the equivalent of the "Tiger Slam"-holding all four slams at the same time but not in the same year.

Was just looking at the records and Graf reached 13 consecutive Grand Slam finals in a row at one point which is unreal. Federer actually did 10 in an row and 8 in a row in two separate runs between 2005 and 2010.

oakleaflad

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 04, 2019, 03:44:06 PM

Yeah I know that, just not what was said. Connolly, Court and Graff are the only 3 to win all 4 majors in 1 year which is possibly what was meant.

Aye Graff packed it in early relative to Serena, as I say it's hard to say but both up there along with Court who's won the most majors as of now.

Tony Baloney

Any odds on Kyrgios kicking off here as he's getting a right oul battering and it's only 3 games in!

Tony Baloney

Underhand ace. Zero fcuks given  ;D

gallsman

The US Open was played on grass, then clay and then finally moved to hardcourt in 1978.

The Australian open was similarly played on grass until the late 80s before moving to hardcourt.

So I repeat, correctly, that Graf's Grand Slam is the only one that was won on three different surfaces.

imtommygunn

I don't watch much tennis but have been watching Wimbledon for a change. Gees this kyrgios guy is a knob. Never seen as bad in tennis. Those underhand serves.

Rich Ricci

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 04, 2019, 05:59:38 PM
I don't watch much tennis but have been watching Wimbledon for a change. Gees this kyrgios guy is a knob. Never seen as bad in tennis. Those underhand serves.

+1

He's clearly very talented but by Jesus he is a grade A p***k.