2019 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship

Started by MasterJ, July 01, 2019, 10:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nameless

Great win. Massive performance and effort by them all. Give Tipperary a go and see what happens but as others have said, building on this is where the focus should lie.

clonadmad

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on July 08, 2019, 04:51:49 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on July 08, 2019, 01:29:37 PM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on July 08, 2019, 01:06:59 PM
Because he seems to have a similar attitude to football,  we will all have to live together.  Biggest problem Laois GAA has is non participation not which sport they pick.  If every child in Laois played sport that would be far better than trying to one up each other.

The biggest problem is whole swathes of laois clubs not allowing hurling in their gates.

Start with that,the non participation in hurling
I'm not sure "not allowing hurling in their gates" is entirely fair or accurate. Not in all cases anyway.
For sure, there's not much interest in hurling in big parts of Laois but the same applies to football in big parts of the county too.
Look, we all know that the hurling clubs put out a football team but it doesn't equate to encouraging football.
Cyril Duggan was principal in Emo school there for a number of years and did his best to get hurling going and a few lads stuck with it and now hurl with Mountmellick.
Anyone from Stradbally or The Heath could play with Park Ratheniska. Anyone from Crettyard or Killeshin or Joseph's could play with Ballypickas or Ballinakill.

Remarkable comment

the so called hurling clubs have football teams,give similar time at juvenile level to coaching and player development to both codes and play games every second week and this "does'nt equate to encouraging football"!!!!!

Well I look forward to the day when the football clubs in the county do similar for hurling

and then in the same breath you suggest driving kids out of their home clubs to clubs 20/30mins away, from their existing clubs if they want to play hurling

Remarkable just remarkable.

marty34

Will Croke Park open up the top tier of Croke Park?

Zooming around

Quote from: clonadmad on July 08, 2019, 05:20:52 PM
Because he seems to have a similar attitude to football,  we will all have to live together.  Biggest problem Laois GAA has is non participation not which sport they pick.  If every child in Laois played sport that would be far better than trying to one up each other.

The biggest problem is whole swathes of laois clubs not allowing hurling in their gates.

I'm not sure "not allowing hurling in their gates" is entirely fair or accurate. Not in all cases anyway.
For sure, there's not much interest in hurling in big parts of Laois but the same applies to football in big parts of the county too.
Look, we all know that the hurling clubs put out a football team but it doesn't equate to encouraging football.
Cyril Duggan was principal in Emo school there for a number of years and did his best to get hurling going and a few lads stuck with it and now hurl with Mountmellick.
Anyone from Stradbally or The Heath could play with Park Ratheniska. Anyone from Crettyard or Killeshin or Joseph's could play with Ballypickas or Ballinakill.

Remarkable comment

the so called hurling clubs have football teams,give similar time at juvenile level to coaching and player development to both codes and play games every second week and this "does'nt equate to encouraging football"!!!!!

Well I look forward to the day when the football clubs in the county do similar for hurling

and then in the same breath you suggest driving kids out of their home clubs to clubs 20/30mins away, from their existing clubs if they want to play hurling

I wouldn't be wasting my breath on that.

We all know what's going on and it is being organised and driven from the very top. The smary little county board official i referred to earlier was fit to burst with anger yesterday. A truly contemptible, nasty individual. Well done to the hurlers in spite of everything. Unlike others, they are a credit to Laois and the GAA.

smcder

https://soundcloud.com/sportsjoe-gaa-hour

Scroll down to tracks and you'll see the one with Eddie Brennan and cheddar listed. Interview with Eddie this morning and an hour of cheddar talking about the game.

Helix.

Quote from: smcder on July 08, 2019, 05:34:26 PM
https://soundcloud.com/sportsjoe-gaa-hour

Scroll down to tracks and you'll see the one with Eddie Brennan and cheddar listed. Interview with Eddie this morning and an hour of cheddar talking about the game.

Great listen and great point from Cheddar talking about not wanting 'sporadic wins' but more consistency and being able to compete in Leinster. I hope his blueprint plan from previous years gets a look at again and progress development. Also a great lift for the youth and development squads in the county- developing good young lads. The cúl camps will be buzzing with hurling which is what it's all about.

Delighted for the long term warriors Tommy Fitz and Matthew Whelan got some due reward yesterday!

Mossy Bruce

Just bought my viewing ticket for Sunday!  :D

Anybody hear of any injuries?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Mossy Bruce

"Eamonn Sweeney: 'Brennan-led Laois miracle shows need for a six-team Leinster series'"

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/eamonn-sweeney-brennanled-laois-miracle-shows-need-for-a-sixteam-leinster-series-38290856.html

"Lack of coverage of famous triumph reflects poor treatment of hurling's 'second-tier' sides"

"It says everything about the general disdain towards hurling's lesser lights that this already legendary game was not shown on RTÉ.

After all the whining about the award of matches to Sky, they couldn't even find it a slot on TG4. 'Flicka', a 1958 movie about the friendship between a girl and her pony, could probably have waited."

[You will probably need to log in to read this article.]
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Mossy Bruce

I can't see that this particular episode is already posted. Sorry if it already is. This is 20 minutes of match coverage.

"Buff Egan TV 2019: Laois vs Dublin Hurling Qualifier"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WddVg-pXXE8

[Oh, I wish he'd hold that phone horizontally for the action footage.]
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Blow-in

Who's the bitter man?

Quote from: Zooming around on July 08, 2019, 09:37:06 AM
What an outstanding win that was. Brilliant in every detail. Despite Dublin coming back at us we responded with key scores, ones that steadied an already steady ship. Nobody lost the head yesterday, on the field, on the line and in the crowd. There was a steely composure right through the game backed up by brilliant tactics and outstanding skill. Brilliant.

Now is the time for the Laois hurling people to grasp the chance. Get hurling people involved in the key positions on what is essentially Laois county football board. Get rid of the officials who despise hurling, especially the one bitter little p***k who spent yesterday evening giving out about how much the hurlers success is costing. Drive it on in the schools and development squads. This is a great time for Laois hurling. Build, build, build.

clonadmad

Quote from: marty34 on July 08, 2019, 05:29:27 PM
Will Croke Park open up the top tier of Croke Park?

When it hits 45k they will open it

Tipp won't travel
Kk have a small enough supporter base,particularly for a quarter final

Your depending on cork to travel in droves to drive the numbers up

I'd be both shocked and delighted if it hit 50k

40k is probably a lot more realistic

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: clonadmad on July 08, 2019, 05:20:52 PM

Remarkable comment

So you're telling me that Camross, Rathdowney, Ballacolla and so on "give similar time at juvenile level to coaching and player development to both codes"?
I could say that St Paul's do the same with our under 11 and under 13 hurling teams but I'm not going to.
And what 30 minute drive did I suggest? Would it be as far as when Rob Jones kicked football with Timahoe? Or Brendan and Ger Reddin with Mountmellick? Darren Maher with Annanough?
I'm not convinced that putting out juvenile teams up to maybe under 15 and having a junior B or c team too is really "encouraging football".
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

SCFC

burdizzo

No. Not sure of he left of his own volition, or otherwise.

LooseCannon