Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 14, 2018, 05:05:20 PM
Comments made little sense was he clutching at straws after that defeat? His Porto side went on to win the Champions League,Real Madrid were one of the best in Europe. Sevilla in comparison will likely be knocked out in the next round.
Senseless comments from a man that was probably trying his best to find an excuse for a earlier than expected Champions league exit.

No need to sugar coat it. The current Sevilla side are not at the level of their Europa league cup winning teams. That defeat last night said more about Man United and how poor they played on and off the field and remember United have lost to plenty of teams even worse than Sevilla this season in Huddersfield,Newcastle United and Bristol City to name but a few.

Man City,Barcelona,Juventus,Bayern Munich,Real Madrid if they draw them will likely have Sevilla beaten by the first leg in the Quarter final.

BenDover

Question - if Mourinho goes/gets the boot who replaces him? Are there that many top calibre managers available that could push Utd up another level; Diego Simeone/Carlo Ancelotti?

magpie seanie

Quote from: BenDover on March 15, 2018, 09:19:09 AM
Question - if Mourinho goes/gets the boot who replaces him? Are there that many top calibre managers available that could push Utd up another level; Diego Simeone/Carlo Ancelotti?

United is a golden opportunity for any manager. Decent squad. Huge resources. Pretty patient board and supporters. I'm confident there are a lot of managers out there who would do a better job than Mourinho.

Mourinho has gone from an innovator to a cavemen before our eyes. I was laughed out of here when I made that suggestion about 18 months ago but I think it's becoming clearer that he's yesterdays man. And his career indicates he is unable or unwilling to change.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 15, 2018, 09:26:53 AM
Quote from: BenDover on March 15, 2018, 09:19:09 AM

United is a golden opportunity for any manager. Decent squad. Huge resources. Pretty patient board and supporters. I'm confident there are a lot of managers out there who would do a better job than Mourinho.

Mourinho has gone from an innovator to a cavemen before our eyes. I was laughed out of here when I made that suggestion about 18 months ago but I think it's becoming clearer that he's yesterdays man. And his career indicates he is unable or unwilling to change.

You might be proved right but lets see what happens next season, despite the result on Tuesday their has been an improvement in our results this season. We just don't look like a proper Mourhino side, he still hasn't a clue what his best 11 is.  I know he's spent a lot of money but the team we're trying to catch have spent a lot more money and had a far better team than what Mourinho inherited. The evening news has gone through all the signings since Fergie left this morning, my word some money was wasted on dross. Over £300m spent between Moyes and LVG and their isn't one guaranteed started between them,

United need to look at their structure, needs someone to bridge the gap between the board and the manager going forward. So many managers are used to a structure of a director of football especially at a huge club like United which we obviously don't have.  If Mourinho left next summer I have no idea who'd come in, many might think Pochettino is the obvious replacement but I have huge reservations about him, his team have crumbled in the last 3 years when pressure in big games and he's failed to respond. I keep hearing about how he's done it on a budget which he has but the reality is he has a really top side their and the small budget isn't the reason they've failed. I can't think of too many other managers who stand out for the job.

Geoff Tipps

The Spanish Press's take on the Sevilla game (from the Guardian).

Manchester United's stadium, though, was one thing; their team, quite another. And as for their manager, many were waiting for him and they did not hold back. The Spanish media found itself pointing the finger at an familiar face, Sport insisting: "Mourinho is living on the past." On a night like this "fear took everyone but none quite like Mourinho", El Mundo Deportivo said. "All those millions, unused," lamented El País, who talked of "a huge display of football from Sevilla against a Manchester United who are millionaires but misers; so much money, so poor".

In AS, the editorial called this "one of Sevilla's biggest feats, at the historic and venerable Old Trafford, [one] that will be written into history for ever, and it was done with pure football against Mourinho's troglodyte model, in which so much money has been invested so that De Gea can hoof a long ball towards Fellaini and Lukaku. Sevilla won and so did football".

"You pay for meanness in the end," wrote Roberto Palomar in Marca. "And Manchester United is a walking monument to mean spiritedness. Poor, miserable, they had everything in their favour to go through ... and it was Sevilla that went through."

"The general opinion of this team that was once respectable and no longer is has plummeted. It's an unattractive, fearful team, rich in resources but lamentable in its play," he added. "Mourinho is starting to look like a washed-up rock star, one of those guys that goes around holiday hotels for pensioners playing old hits on an organ with the base and the percussion playing on a tape recorder."

AZOffaly

There's a lot of grave dancing going on there. It might come back to bite them in the ass one of these days.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on March 15, 2018, 10:25:23 AM
The Spanish Press's take on the Sevilla game (from the Guardian).

Manchester United's stadium, though, was one thing; their team, quite another. And as for their manager, many were waiting for him and they did not hold back. The Spanish media found itself pointing the finger at an familiar face, Sport insisting: "Mourinho is living on the past." On a night like this "fear took everyone but none quite like Mourinho", El Mundo Deportivo said. "All those millions, unused," lamented El País, who talked of "a huge display of football from Sevilla against a Manchester United who are millionaires but misers; so much money, so poor".

In AS, the editorial called this "one of Sevilla's biggest feats, at the historic and venerable Old Trafford, [one] that will be written into history for ever, and it was done with pure football against Mourinho's troglodyte model, in which so much money has been invested so that De Gea can hoof a long ball towards Fellaini and Lukaku. Sevilla won and so did football".

"You pay for meanness in the end," wrote Roberto Palomar in Marca. "And Manchester United is a walking monument to mean spiritedness. Poor, miserable, they had everything in their favour to go through ... and it was Sevilla that went through."

"The general opinion of this team that was once respectable and no longer is has plummeted. It's an unattractive, fearful team, rich in resources but lamentable in its play," he added. "Mourinho is starting to look like a washed-up rock star, one of those guys that goes around holiday hotels for pensioners playing old hits on an organ with the base and the percussion playing on a tape recorder."

But still second in the EPL (by a good margin), still in the FA cup and better GD than the teams below it, strange
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Why do you keep going on about better GD MR2? Isn't that sort of the point they are making? Nobody is saying Mourinho can't win matches (I don't think). It's the style of it they are questioning. 10 1-0s gives you a better goal difference than 8 4-3s and 2 4-4s. So it comes down to an existential argument. Is it better to win ugly (most of the time) and feel betrayed when ugly doesn't work, or win pretty (some of the time) and feel frustrated you are not more 'ruthless' or 'solid' when pretty doesn't work? I'm not sure there's a right answer either way.

That's why I asked the question the other day?

Minder

What's the obsession with GD MR2 ?!
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on March 15, 2018, 10:46:50 AM

I mentioned being 5 points ahead and 2nd in the league also.. GD difference is worth a point at the end of the season, can be the difference between first second or 4th and 5th in the leauge.. you dont find GD important?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 15, 2018, 10:49:45 AM

I mentioned being 5 points ahead and 2nd in the league also.. GD difference is worth a point at the end of the season, can be the difference between first second or 4th and 5th in the leauge.. you dont find GD important?

It's a tiebreaker, but it's not as important as you make it out to be. I'm just not sure what point you are trying to make when you raise it. Unless you are answering my question by saying you prefer to win ugly. Which is absolutely fine by the way. Just win baby, as Al Davis said.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 15, 2018, 10:42:39 AM
Why do you keep going on about better GD MR2? Isn't that sort of the point they are making? Nobody is saying Mourinho can't win matches (I don't think). It's the style of it they are questioning. 10 1-0s gives you a better goal difference than 8 4-3s and 2 4-4s. So it comes down to an existential argument. Is it better to win ugly (most of the time) and feel betrayed when ugly doesn't work, or win pretty (some of the time) and feel frustrated you are not more 'ruthless' or 'solid' when pretty doesn't work? I'm not sure there's a right answer either way.

That's why I asked the question the other day?

and I answered it, you have to do both to succeed, Utd had plenty of 1-0's back in the day.. Cantona won a few games 1-0 to drag Utd over the line one season I remember.. Arsenal fans used chant about their 1-0's when they were winning the leagues...

do you feel betrayed that, lets say Liverpool.. try and win with attacking football but end up dropping points from a winning position in a few games? or should they just close up shop after going 2 up or even one up and take the 3 points.. ?

AZOffaly

You answered it, but you keep going on about Goal Difference as if that's something to behold. I have no problem with you liking what Mourinho is doing at united, no problem at all.

My preference is he'd be a little less cautious. My preference with Klopp is he'd be a little more cautious!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 15, 2018, 10:52:09 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 15, 2018, 10:49:45 AM

It's a tiebreaker, but it's not as important as you make it out to be. I'm just not sure what point you are trying to make when you raise it. Unless you are answering my question by saying you prefer to win ugly. Which is absolutely fine by the way. Just win baby, as Al Davis said.

Utd lost a few PL on the last day due to GD...important enough.. but yes a tiebreaker all the same...

would you take an ulgly Liverpool to win a league title in so many years, and a first EPL or prefer to carry on as is? Utd winning the titles like they did was great but I'd say that a Utd supporter would just want to get one again to stop the rot..

Was at my dads on Sunday and he's a big fan but getting very annoyed with the style of play and the lack of league chances, very much at odds having watched the Busby babes to the the Best Law Charlton days through the shit times and then the Fergie years, he feels its going to fall into a long wait again for the title..