Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver hill

Quote from: rrhf on May 05, 2020, 08:38:51 AM
It's the only team for Derry so I get the importance of making them continuously relevant.. if your logic is factual comparisons go through the whole thing.. How did their Ulster championship comparisons go as well/ mc Kenna cup? All stars etc?
That down game 94 done more for Derry football than they actually realise. For half an hour Derry actually played football and not the dour crap associated with the 93 season. Don't forget they beat a cork team there by accident whose sell by date was 1990 in the final.

did you watch the 1st round game v Down in 93 or the all Ireland semi final v Dublin....Derry were many things that year, but dour certainly wouldn't be how you would describe their football style. Very rich coming from a Tyrone supporter I might add. The county that gave us puke football and the blanket defence. A county that is universally detested throughout Ireland, team and supporters alike. Why is that do you think? Jealousy.... 6 county team....if that's the case they why are Down not in the same boat?? Little bit of reflection inwards required lads. Self awareness is a very underrated trait.

trailer

Quote from: Silver hill on May 05, 2020, 09:06:09 AM
Quote from: rrhf on May 05, 2020, 08:38:51 AM
It's the only team for Derry so I get the importance of making them continuously relevant.. if your logic is factual comparisons go through the whole thing.. How did their Ulster championship comparisons go as well/ mc Kenna cup? All stars etc?
That down game 94 done more for Derry football than they actually realise. For half an hour Derry actually played football and not the dour crap associated with the 93 season. Don't forget they beat a cork team there by accident whose sell by date was 1990 in the final.

did you watch the 1st round game v Down in 93 or the all Ireland semi final v Dublin....Derry were many things that year, but dour certainly wouldn't be how you would describe their football style. Very rich coming from a Tyrone supporter I might add. The county that gave us puke football and the blanket defence. A county that is universally detested throughout Ireland, team and supporters alike. Why is that do you think? Jealousy.... 6 county team....if that's the case they why are Down not in the same boat?? Little bit of reflection inwards required lads. Self awareness is a very underrated trait.

Triggered

BarryBreensBandage

From Brolly's interview, a couple of things I made from it:

Coleman on two occasions bottled the chance to repair the divide between CB and the players, leaving it up to the players to decide the extent of McGuigan's involvement. Not very good managerial skills imo.

In fact, after listening to that interview, I would lay the blame solely with the players. Their egos were out of control, to the point that it got nasty.
Why did it take for Coleman to meet them to make them realise the fundamental point that Derry GAA was all that mattered?
That they wouldn't listen to their own friends and families.
Taking to calling fellow GAA players scabs because they played for their county in a time of need. Jesus.

I like listening to Brolly, but sometimes he has you shouting at the screen. The sign of a good pundit I suppose (His article in this week's Sunday Independent was excellent).

It's easy to say they would have won more AIs if Coleman had have stayed.

I have heard from more than one of the Down 90s team that they felt they left an AI behind them, 92 in particular.

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

theticklemister

Jesus lads, Tyrone won 3 All-Ireland's and we won wan.

That should say it really. They were the better team for years.

I hate the shower of bastards , but that's fact.

trailer

Derry were a good side make no mistake but they love blaming the fact that Coleman was ousted as the reason as to why they didn't win anymore. Weak teams find excuses. They always look to blame others. Brolly a case in point bringing this up nearly 30 years later.

imtommygunn

Quote from: theticklemister on May 05, 2020, 09:38:47 AM
Jesus lads, Tyrone won 3 All-Ireland's and we won wan.

That should say it really. They were the better team for years.

I hate the shower of bastards , but that's fact.

I love this post  ;D

Maiden1

I just watched the first few episodes of the Michael Jordan documentary on netflix, Jerry Krause the Chicago Bulls general manager in a press conference in Phil Jacksons final season said something like 'I don't give a **** if he goes 82-0 he won't be here next season'.  Similarly with Jimmy Johnson and the Dallas Cowboys, he got sacked after winning back to back Superbowls.  Not sure Colemans sacking is quite in that category but it's a strange 1 that he got sacked after winning the county's first All Ireland and then losing a very tight game to the eventual champions.  It's hard to understand what the Derry county board where thinking.

Mickey Moran's record as a manager can be compared favourably with most so it surprises me that he took the job with all the ill feeling around.  Now that Brolly has said what he has said it would be interesting to get Moran's take on how it all played out.  e.g. was Moran a) informed that Coleman was sacked and then asked would he interested in applying for the job and thought Derry still had a very good team and it would be a pity to break it up with a completely new management team or b) was he approached before Coleman was sacked and asked would he be interested in Coleman's job if he was to be sacked.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

BennyHarp

Quote from: lenny on May 05, 2020, 08:28:53 AM
Quote from: Angelo on May 05, 2020, 07:52:20 AM
Some utterly fascinating insights into the mindset of Derry GAA people here.

Derry were once big hitters but there's a culture there of jealousy, bitterness and egotism that brought it down. A toxic culture that brought them from one of the best teams in Ireland to one of the worst. 1 Ulster final appearance in the past 19 years, the last time they made an AI SF, a good man was in charge of them - Mickey Moran. This is the chap the Derry animals on here are busy trying to sling mud at scapegoat. You get plenty of slabberers like screen and lenny from Derry, always quick to point and cast the blame somewhere else but never man enough to look at how the game has fallen within the county and ask the hard questions.

Lenny is regularly hanging around the Tyrone forums on here, always looking to put the boot in, wanting to see Tyrone football crash and burn in the same manner Derry football did. A Derryman absolutely obsessed with the fortunes of Tyrone football, it keeps him awake at night - it's bizarre - the levels of bitterness, rancour and seethe he was with Tyrone because Derry football was brought down by a bunch of fifth columnists and nobody in Derry is seemingly man enough to come out and address the issue. Meanwhile, he was his neighbours surpass Derry and he can't live with that - its a bitterness that simmers every living day with him, when you see the disgusting things the Derry lads say about a good man like Mickey Moran, a respected and successful coach, well admired across the whole island, does it surprise you with the vitriol and bile he emits to the man that brought Tyrone 3 AIs? Not at all.

Sometimes Lenny even forgets which account he has logged in under to have a pop at Mickey Harte, that my friends is an insight into the psyche of Derry football. If they showed half as much endeavour into reforming that toxic culture that exists in Derry football as they do into looking for bogeymen and scapegoats to make up for their shortcomings then they wouldn't be long returning to some form of credibility.

Angelo, as I said earlier you stay safe kid, lockdown will soon be over.
Just to point out the facts again with like for like comparison. Derry obviously didn't play with a back door so comparing the 2 teams record through the front door. That Derry team won 1 all Ireland and 4 national leagues, Tyrone won 1 all Ireland and 2 national leagues. To compare the 2 teams any other way leads to hypotheticals. Tyrone won another 2 all Ireland's through the back door, in most people's opinion that Derry team would've won at least another 2 or 3. That is easy enough to surmise because of how dominant they were in league football beating all the big teams on a regular basis. Hard to argue with the facts lads.

I love this - vintage Lenny.  ;D
That was never a square ball!!

Rawhide

Meanwhile Derry at club level show you how to do it. Grassroots is massively healthy in Derry. Top of the leader board by a stretch when it comes to clubs winning Ulster Senior and Minor club championships and All Ireland clubs in Ulster. Armagh has one club, Cross. Down one club, Burren. Whilst we have a number of clubs successful clubs at provinal and All ireland level. The football culture in Derry is very healthy. We as county from way back in the 50's have not been regularly winning Ulster senior titles at County football. Our current phase is typical of many periods we have had, because we have a small pick of club players. Outstanding clubs as they are, but at county level it is a numbers game. Our resources are small. it has feck all to do with bitterness, jealousy etc. The shafting of Coleman is well known. The book published by Maria Mc Court called 'The Boys of 93' tells the story for all to see how Coleman was shafted. Take time to read it and it will give you an insight rather than waffling on here. 
cccc is a true supporter lol

Angelo

Quote from: Rawhide on May 05, 2020, 12:26:26 PM
Meanwhile Derry at club level show you how to do it. Grassroots is massively healthy in Derry. Top of the leader board by a stretch when it comes to clubs winning Ulster Senior and Minor club championships and All Ireland clubs in Ulster. Armagh has one club, Cross. Down one club, Burren. Whilst we have a number of clubs successful clubs at provinal and All ireland level. The football culture in Derry is very healthy. We as county from way back in the 50's have not been regularly winning Ulster senior titles at County football. Our current phase is typical of many periods we have had, because we have a small pick of club players. Outstanding clubs as they are, but at county level it is a numbers game. Our resources are small. it has feck all to do with bitterness, jealousy etc. The shafting of Coleman is well known. The book published by Maria Mc Court called 'The Boys of 93' tells the story for all to see how Coleman was shafted. Take time to read it and it will give you an insight rather than waffling on here.

Is it?

Derry club football has been dominated by Slaughtneil and Ballinderry for most of the last decade. Intermediate and junior clubs have done very poorly at provincial level.

Derry have as big a nationalist population as any other county in the O6 but fails to get anything from the city.

Scapegoats and bogeymen won't bring Derry football back, there's a toxic culture in Derry GAA - it's very easy to see why when you look at some of the Derry posters here.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Derry were once big hitters but there's a culture there of jealousy, bitterness and egotism that brought it down. A toxic culture that brought them from one of the best teams in Ireland to one of the worst. 1 Ulster final appearance in the past 19 years, the last time they made an AI SF, a good man was in charge of them - Mickey Moran. This is the chap the Derry animals on here are busy trying to sling mud at scapegoat. You get plenty of slabberers like screen and lenny from Derry, always quick to point and cast the blame somewhere else but never man enough to look at how the game has fallen within the county and ask the hard questions.

Lenny is regularly hanging around the Tyrone forums on here, always looking to put the boot in, wanting to see Tyrone football crash and burn in the same manner Derry football did. A Derryman absolutely obsessed with the fortunes of Tyrone football, it keeps him awake at night - it's bizarre - the levels of bitterness, rancour and seethe he was with Tyrone because Derry football was brought down by a bunch of fifth columnists and nobody in Derry is seemingly man enough to come out and address the issue. Meanwhile, he was his neighbours surpass Derry and he can't live with that - its a bitterness that simmers every living day with him, when you see the disgusting things the Derry lads say about a good man like Mickey Moran, a respected and successful coach, well admired across the whole island, does it surprise you with the vitriol and bile he emits to the man that brought Tyrone 3 AIs? Not at all.

Sometimes Lenny even forgets which account he has logged in under to have a pop at Mickey Harte, that my friends is an insight into the psyche of Derry football. If they showed half as much endeavour into reforming that toxic culture that exists in Derry football as they do into looking for bogeymen and scapegoats to make up for their shortcomings then they wouldn't be long returning to some form of credibility.

Just to point out the facts again with like for like comparison. Derry obviously didn't play with a back door so comparing the 2 teams record through the front door. That Derry team won 1 all Ireland and 4 national leagues, Tyrone won 1 all Ireland and 2 national leagues. To compare the 2 teams any other way leads to hypotheticals. Tyrone won another 2 all Ireland's through the back door, in most people's opinion that Derry team would've won at least another 2 or 3. That is easy enough to surmise because of how dominant they were in league football beating all the big teams on a regular basis. Hard to argue with the facts lads.

Bogeymen, scapegoats. Derry got one and ended any chance of anything more because a toxic culture festered around the county that nobody was big enough to take hold of. You have spend the past two and a half decades looking for someone and something to blame rather than accepting the problem was wholly internal.

Keep loitering around the Tyrone forums with your multiple aliases though, you were crazy before lockdown, you're not even aware that the levels of seethe and rancour inside you aren't normal.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Silver hill

Quote from: Angelo on May 05, 2020, 12:35:32 PM

Bogeymen, scapegoats. Derry got one and ended any chance of anything more because a toxic culture festered around the county that nobody was big enough to take hold of. You have spend the past two and a half decades looking for someone and something to blame rather than accepting the problem was wholly internal.

Keep loitering around the Tyrone forums with your multiple aliases though, you were crazy before lockdown, you're not even aware that the levels of seethe and rancour inside you aren't normal.
Angelo, I'm curious, but have you somehow indoctrinated yourself to only post and use the words 'scapegoat and bogeymen'?
The word 'toxic' very prevalent as well.
Very odd.

BennyHarp

To be fair he's talking about Derry football, there's not too many other words he can use.
That was never a square ball!!

Rawhide

cccc is a true supporter lol