Retirements this year.

Started by Bud Wiser, December 04, 2006, 10:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 04, 2006, 11:02:44 PM

Ya bradys quit again, oh hold on...........

Is he definitely back?? I know there's been some speculation since the manager situation was resolved but haven't heard anything concrete, do fill us in?

stephenite

Quote from: stephenite on December 05, 2006, 12:38:40 AM

Is he definitely back?? I know there's been some speculation since the manager situation was resolved but haven't heard anything concrete, do fill us in?

Don't worry about it M4S , just read this in the Examiner

By Brendan O'Brien
NEW Mayo manager John O'Mahony does not expect any retirements from the side which lost the All-Ireland SFC decider to Kerry.

The new management team met 26 of the 30 players who made up last year's panel for the first time at the weekend and got what O'Mahony described as a "very enthusiastic response".

David Brady, who announced his retirement after the loss to Kerry, has reconsidered his future and will be in the new regime's plans.

"A few of last year's panel are out of the country," said O'Mahony who was in Dublin to promote the launch of 'Rua', a new GAA soft toy that will be available in specific county colours. "As of now I've got no indication from any of them that they're not willing to be on board in the coming year. Kevin O'Neill was out of the country at the weekend but, from indications that we have got from speaking to him, he's interested in continuing. Similarly with James Nallen, David Heaney, Ciaran McDonald and all these guys."

One or two players, he added, were struggling with injuries and may not feature in some of the earlier panels and he also revealed that Mayo would be operating an open-ended panel possibly up until the end of the league in April.

No new players were invited to last weekend's get-together but the new bosses will shortly begin to cast the net far and wide within the county, with a number of last year's All-Ireland winning U21s, in particular, likely to come into the reckoning.

O'Mahony also confirmed that former Olympic coach Jim Kilty would be joining his backroom staff, an appointment.

"He'll be organising all of the fitness schemes and so on," said the former Galway manager. "I'm looking forward to working with Jim. I've known him for a good number of years. Training and management methods are continually moving on and Jim has certainly pioneered a lot of those new methods."

Kilty will be travelling to Mayo for midweek sessions but is also likely to be involved with any Dublin-based members of the panel.

It is as yet unclear as to whether Irish soccer masseur Mick Byrne will again be linking up with O'Mahony. Byrne was an integral member of the Galway backroom team when the county won their first All-Ireland senior title in 32 years in 1998 under O'Mahony.

Last year's panel will be flying out for a team holiday in January but, with his political commitments, O'Mahony will not be accompanying them. Neither will new selectors Tommy Lyons and Kieran Gallagher.

***********************************************************************************************

So it looks like everyone will be available for selection, great news to hear that some of the stalwarts are sticking around, their experience alone will be invaluable in helping some of the U-21's make the breakthrough.

never kickt a ball

QuoteLast year's panel will be flying out for a team holiday in January but, with his political commitments, O'Mahony will not be accompanying them. Neither will new selectors Tommy Lyons and Kieran Gallagher.
I'd worry about this Mayo fans. What do you think?

stephenite

never kickt a ball

"political commitments" To manage a team you need total commitment.

stephenite

Quote from: never kickt a ball on December 05, 2006, 01:03:58 AM
"political commitments" To manage a team you need total commitment.

It was well known in advance that O'Mahoney ws running for a Dail seat, as long as he can make the commitment to training and matches ( which I'm sure he can ) I don't see an issue with him missing a team holiday to be honest. He's been managing teams long enough now to know the commitment better than most. I don't have a probnlem with it

never kickt a ball

Accept what you are saying Stephenite. But this is a county who got rid of their last management team after they took the team to an all-ireland final. Mayo are setting pretty high standards and rightly so. I just think it will grate with some people that he is already putting his political commitments above the post. Maybe that was one of the conditions when he took up the post. He had to do this in January. Fair enough but I think it will cause him and Mayo difficulties in the future. Time will tell.

stephenite

Time will tell indeed, if he gets elected ;)

OkeyDoke

I doubt that its 'political commitments thats preventing himfrom going on the team holiday. Isn't the holiday for last years team so i presume that MM and Morrison will be on it - that might be the reason that JOM is not ging on it

Loughers

Brian Whelahan hasn't announced his retirement yet.

Croí na hÉireann

PJ Ward  ::)
Rory O'Connell (again)
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Blue Boy

PJ Ward is training with Offaly now!

Loughers

Quote from: Blue Boy on December 05, 2006, 02:02:59 PM
PJ Ward is training with Offaly now!

And David Mitcherell moving to Longford.  Will ye be able to field a team next year?  O'Flaharta must be hard task master.

Croí na hÉireann

QuotePJ Ward has confirmed his intentions to pull on the Offaly jersey in 2007.

The Westmeath native has transferred from Kilbeggan Shamrocks to Shamrocks in Offaly and an intercounty switch is set to follow.

The player's father PJ is a Ferbane native, while his mother Brigid (nee Coyne) comes from Clara. Ward parted ways with Westmeath after their qualifier win over London last summer and the Mucklagh resident has revealed:

"I am looking forward to the new challenge and I will give it my best shot. It is something I have wanted to do for a good while due to my family history.

"My uncle Frank Ward played minor for Offaly way back and is chairman of the Offaly Association in London.

"Playing for Offaly was always a bit of a dream for me, with my family history. I feel the opportunity is perfect for me to do it now."
We did alright without these boys in 2006 but there's no doubts they would enhance the panel if tuned in properly.
QuoteO'Flaharta must be hard task master
Well I know Mitch has no great love for him anyway. As for Ward, well if he's gonna throw the rattle out of the pram every time he doesn't start a game or come on as sub he won't last too long in the Offaly setup either. I don't know his personal circumstances but if he's playing for Shamrocks (Rahan) next year while still living in Kilbeggan so that he can then be selected for the inter-county team, well that just makes a mockery of the system.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Kerry Mike

I see Aidan O'Rourke and, Paul Galvin's buddy, John Tool have retired from the Armagh squad. They will be a big loss to Joe Kernans squad. Pity to see lads retiring like that after injuries.

Question though: Who will be chief bottle carrier and Red Card inciter next year for Big Joe?

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football