GPA and AFLPA back International Rules

Started by magickingdom, November 23, 2006, 10:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on November 24, 2006, 11:54:30 AM
Quote from: Uladh on November 24, 2006, 11:16:13 AM
bt - the point is you are prepared to accept the word of a union so long as you agree with them.

now, if you wish to put so much faith into a text poll. How about telling us how many people were texted. How many replied. And what proportion of the total playing population (inter-county only of course) does that represent.

I have no idea about any of that bt... but the point is if the leadership of a union express this as the view of their members, then i'll take them at their word.... even if i disagree with them.

skull:

"I do have that suspicion yes. If not why are they not more open about it?  Hopefully you'll be able to explain that for me?"

explain what? open about what? there's only an "it" if you have a dan brown view of the organisation

theskull1

Quote from: 2gdias on November 24, 2006, 12:01:07 PM
On the physical side it is a mismatch, not from lack of heart but from lack of full time training.

This is the main reason as amateurs, Ireland cannot compete with the AFL players. Whenever the aussies get a hang of the game, they will destroy Ireland every time whatever the rules. It's only a matter of time (I would say just after a new TV deal is struck) before the GPA highlight this. They will use this argument to help bolster their pay for play agenda.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

believebelive

I dont think there is any hidden agenda by the GPA - well certainly nothing that the ordinary members would be privy to. Do you really think Skull that over 1000 people could keep a secret agenda secret! Come on we are talking about young gaelic players here not the CIA and the cover up when the JFK was shot.
But on the other hand there is no doubt that, like any organisation, the direction they take is driven from the top. I actually think that the majority of GAA intercounty players are pretty apathetic towards the GPA - they take the attitude that of they get them grants then great but if not then they will just continue to play

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 24, 2006, 10:57:45 AM
I find the defending of the GPA quite alarming here. Where were you guys when I pointed out in the immediate aftermath of the second test this year (and last year) that the so-called champions of player welfare were so silent about "their members" being physically attacked on the field? The GPA didn't care more about Graham Geraghty ending up in hospital than they crave professionalism. QED. The GPA have consistently lied about this matter. They are ONLY about pay for play and I will vehemently oppose them and it while I am living and breathing.

Your mistaken there Magpie Seanie. A couple of days after the second test there was an interview with Dessie Farrell in the Indo. He blamed the violent scenes on the referees not implementing the rules properly. I thnk he was right.

Why do you find it alarming when people have a different opinion to you?

bottlethrower7

Quote from: believebelive on November 24, 2006, 12:21:42 PM
I dont think there is any hidden agenda by the GPA - well certainly nothing that the ordinary members would be privy to. Do you really think Skull that over 1000 people could keep a secret agenda secret! Come on we are talking about young gaelic players here not the CIA and the cover up when the JFK was shot.

exactly, which is precisely why you can be sure the 'leadership' are not even going to divulge half of what is going on to their members, the exact same young gaelic players.

magpie seanie

QuoteA couple of days after the second test there was an interview with Dessie Farrell in the Indo. He blamed the violent scenes on the referees not implementing the rules properly. I thnk he was right.

That's not really the point. The fact that only yourself can remember any comment by Farrell (and at that one skirting the subject as per your report) proves my point.

QuoteWhy do you find it alarming when people have a different opinion to you?

Did I say that?

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 24, 2006, 02:04:36 PM

That's not really the point. The fact that only yourself can remember any comment by Farrell (and at that one skirting the subject as per your report) proves my point.

See below article Magpie Seanie. Do you believe me now?

'Failure to apply sanctions the problem' - Farrell

ADVERTISEMENT

THE failure to apply meaningful sanctions that punish serious offenders lies at the heart of the current International Rules crisis according to GPA chief executive, Dessie Farrell.

He blames administrators from both codes for not practising what they preach regarding discipline and punishment for those who offend.

"The reality is that the sanctions don't really hurt so they're not a real deterrent. We were told that it would be different this year and that players who stepped out of line would be sent off and no replacement allowed, yet not one red card was handed out on Sunday.

"The refereeing was disgracefully bad. We all saw what happened in the first quarter, yet neither referee sent off a player on a straight red card, which was amazing. And then you have a goal scored while a large group of players are tearing into each other quite close by. It was bizarre stuff," he said.

He pointed to the specific example of where Irish forwards tried to make a run, only to have their jerseys pulled.

"It was happening in full view of officials, yet no action was taken. Some of the Australian tackling was way out of order but with no real sanctions in place, they didn't really care. It would be different if they feared being sent off and suspended or fined when they went back home."

Farrell said that he wasn't remotely surprised to see the Australians raising the stakes to unacceptable levels last Sunday.

"They were trailing after the first game and were determined to do whatever it took to win the second test.

"A bigger than usual media representation travelled from Australia this year so it meant an awful lot to the camp to win the series and with the sanctions so weak, they knew they could get away with anything. The line was crossed with the Graham Geraghty incident. There's something wrong when an amateur player is knocked unconscious by a professional in full view of 82,000 people. GAA administrators have to be very aware of their responsibilities in this regard," he said.

However, Farrell reckons that the series will survive in the longer term, not least because it's a valuable commercial enterprise. "It puts an awful lot of bums on seats. There are also the TV and sponsorship dimensions. Neither the GAA nor the AFL want to lose out on that."

Example

Farrell believes that the general consensus among GAA players is that the series should continue but they need to be guaranteed that they be protected by stringent rules.

"There's also the whole amateur v professional issue. You have full-time, well-paid Australian players taking on amateurs who are expected to work on the week of the game while their opponents are in full-time training. There's something wrong about that."

While he was sickened by the Aussies' approach in the first quarter, he said the GAA would need to be very careful before they climbed too high up the moral ground.

"There's a certain level of hypocrisy regarding violence because it's not exactly unknown in our own games either. But then there's a fair degree of hypocrisy when it comes to legitimate payments for players too," Farrell added.

Martin Breheny

See below article Magpie Seanie. Do you believe me now?

Taken from Indo on November 7
'Failure to apply sanctions the problem' - Farrell

ADVERTISEMENT

THE failure to apply meaningful sanctions that punish serious offenders lies at the heart of the current International Rules crisis according to GPA chief executive, Dessie Farrell.

He blames administrators from both codes for not practising what they preach regarding discipline and punishment for those who offend.

"The reality is that the sanctions don't really hurt so they're not a real deterrent. We were told that it would be different this year and that players who stepped out of line would be sent off and no replacement allowed, yet not one red card was handed out on Sunday.

"The refereeing was disgracefully bad. We all saw what happened in the first quarter, yet neither referee sent off a player on a straight red card, which was amazing. And then you have a goal scored while a large group of players are tearing into each other quite close by. It was bizarre stuff," he said.

He pointed to the specific example of where Irish forwards tried to make a run, only to have their jerseys pulled.

"It was happening in full view of officials, yet no action was taken. Some of the Australian tackling was way out of order but with no real sanctions in place, they didn't really care. It would be different if they feared being sent off and suspended or fined when they went back home."

Farrell said that he wasn't remotely surprised to see the Australians raising the stakes to unacceptable levels last Sunday.

"They were trailing after the first game and were determined to do whatever it took to win the second test.

"A bigger than usual media representation travelled from Australia this year so it meant an awful lot to the camp to win the series and with the sanctions so weak, they knew they could get away with anything. The line was crossed with the Graham Geraghty incident. There's something wrong when an amateur player is knocked unconscious by a professional in full view of 82,000 people. GAA administrators have to be very aware of their responsibilities in this regard," he said.

However, Farrell reckons that the series will survive in the longer term, not least because it's a valuable commercial enterprise. "It puts an awful lot of bums on seats. There are also the TV and sponsorship dimensions. Neither the GAA nor the AFL want to lose out on that."

Example

Farrell believes that the general consensus among GAA players is that the series should continue but they need to be guaranteed that they be protected by stringent rules.

"There's also the whole amateur v professional issue. You have full-time, well-paid Australian players taking on amateurs who are expected to work on the week of the game while their opponents are in full-time training. There's something wrong about that."

While he was sickened by the Aussies' approach in the first quarter, he said the GAA would need to be very careful before they climbed too high up the moral ground.

"There's a certain level of hypocrisy regarding violence because it's not exactly unknown in our own games either. But then there's a fair degree of hypocrisy when it comes to legitimate payments for players too," Farrell added.

Martin Breheny

Uladh

"How do you know this? Just curious."

I have a few friends in the GPA, two of them hurlers. i certainly don't agree with all of what they do but on the whole they are a good organisation in my opinion.

"What have they done for the players in the last number of years? Though Dessie did have time to pen a book, organise a ten minute strike, make a few press releases and turn up at the GPA awards."

that really is a very naive statement. Simply the gpa's existence has created more movement on player welfare issues in the last 5 years than in all of the rest of the organisation's existence.

from initially (misguidedly) creating a player's delegate, then submitting to expenses and training gear benchmarks, right through to singlehandedly manipulating the government into addressing players issues to the point where Bertie is further down the road to funding player grants than the GAA.

This is not to even cover grants for third level students and the funding of the past player benevolent fund, particularly for players abandoned by the association after injury.

magpie seanie

You really need lessons in arguing. Did I say I didn't believe you about the existence of the article?

Also, I hope you weren't using that article to defend your position! Dessie tries comedy....

Quote"There's a certain level of hypocrisy regarding violence because it's not exactly unknown in our own games either. But then there's a fair degree of hypocrisy when it comes to legitimate payments for players too," Farrell added.

magickingdom

"I don't think anyone on this thread wants international rules to continue max"

hello, you manage to read the opening contribution uladh? i most certainly do and most of the stuff here isn't worth a reply..

Uladh

Given that this thread has once again deteriorated into an hysterical attack on the great bogeyman, can someone point out what the original issue was with the GPA announcing that their members had expressed a desire for the International Rules Series to continue?

EDIT

I was rather thinking magic kingdom that the players weren't actually on this thread....

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 24, 2006, 02:28:43 PM
You really need lessons in arguing. Did I say I didn't believe you about the existence of the article?

First of all you complain that the GPA made no comment. Then when you were proved to be spoofing you try and wriggle out of it by claiming that no one knew they commented. They commented in a large article in the biggest selling newspaper in the country. What do you want? A pigeon to deliver all GPA statements to your doorstep. Your emabarrassing yourself.

BallyhaiseMan

f**k them both and their international Rules...They wont stop until they get one of our players paralyzed or killed in that abomination of a game.

Turfsmoke

Someone asked for a definition of Prat (as in Gaelic Prats Association).

I looked it up in the dictionary and got:

"Prat -  noun; someone who believes that other people should provide him and all belonging to him with with the world's best games from the cradle to the grave; should give him a profile and an earning capacity he otherwise couldn't dream of; throw in a free world class holiday, with spending money at least every second year; give him facilities, travel, support and audiences that most professional sports don't even come close to; allow him to rip them off by stealing their image rights for his own personal commercial benefit; pay for all of these out of their own pockets and effort; and then pay him (the Prat) to compensate him for all the burdens and demands involved

Other definitions: biter of hands that feed; me me me;  selfish b*****d; dessie; D.og;

cavanmaniac

Arrah turfsmoke will ye get off the feckin' fence and tell us what ye really think for God's sake...