Laois Junior Football Championship 2018

Started by The PRO, July 11, 2018, 11:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 14, 2018, 12:19:12 PM
Quote from: BallyroanAbbey on August 14, 2018, 10:12:24 AM
Also thought that this should of happened with us and abbeyleix when they decided to go together. Either go the full way with it or dont do it, half measures dont cut it.

Kind of a funny arrangement with Abbeyleix? Ye changed yer name, what did they do?
Abbeyleix were a dual club.
Ballyroan were a football club.
Abbeyleix disbanded their football club and threw their lot in with Ballyroan. In theory.
Ballyroan didn't do likewise.
No reason for Abbeyleix to change anything in their club.

clonadmad

Quote from: Don Draper on August 14, 2018, 10:15:49 AM
Quote from: clonadmad on August 14, 2018, 10:14:10 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on August 14, 2018, 09:56:21 AM
Quote from: BallyroanAbbey on August 13, 2018, 08:15:55 PM
Jesus lads Spink have had some fall in a short period of time, i know that hurling is the main sport over there and that they are getting lads from 2 hurling clubs but at this stage they would be better off letting the lads that actually want to kick ball go to cretty or wherever. Because its unfair at this stage. I remember talking to a lad a few years ago when they brought the ballinakill lads in and said it would kill off spink and split the community, seemed like madness when they were going well at inter but by jaysus that man was spot on
Some sense there, but at the same time, Spink are making massive strides at underage and hopefully will regenerate again in a few years if they can keep that coming. Amalgamations are grand if lads buy into them, but at the end of the day, a hurler will always put hurling first, and vice versa.

Where are the massive strides in Juvenile when they are in with Park at some grades and word is that they  have made approach's to a few of their neighbors for a full Juvenile amalgamation from next year.
How many grades are they with Park for? I'm around long enough to know Spink had f**k all on their own for years ,the fact that they're doing anything at underage level is a massive stride.

Who are they are U17 with?

I agree with Ballyroan though, full amalgamations are the way forward for a number of these clubs who are on their knees.

Well if they are making the "massive" strides that you suggest they are making

Why then are going around to 2/3 clubs looking to amalgamate on a long term basis,all their Juvenile teams from next year

Jd

Spink actually putting huge efforts into underage teams and a small club like them don't need 15 players coming through every year. If they can get 6 or 7 young fellas then that's plenty to ensure the survival of their club. Winning a junior or even an intermediate would be huge for them and with their systems now in place it's not beyond them. I remember kicking senior against them in the 90s and their numbers were way worse than they have now

Don Draper

The rumours of Spinks demise are greatly exaggerated.

SCFC

I'm predicting O'Dempseys, Ballyroan Abbey, Graigue and Camross to win the round 3 games.
Although Camross could have their minds elsewhere!!

Laoiseabu

How is it that Castletown were in the junior B football final last night but Castletown /slieve bloom are in the junior C final ?

Don Draper

Quote from: Laoiseabu on August 29, 2018, 12:18:36 PM
How is it that Castletown were in the junior B football final last night but Castletown /slieve bloom are in the junior C final ?
An error I'd imagine, that should read Slieve Bloom on their own in the C.

Jd

:- Jesus that would be castletown getting the max out of their footballers alright. Jnr C with sliabh Bloom jnr A in their own right and intermediate with mountmellick........ How would they fit any hurling in !! Player burnout has to be an issue !😀

The PRO

Annanough and Park should win comfortably in the quarters tonight. Kilcavan could get turned over by Ballyroan Abbey but hard to call. Portlaoise third team might not be as strong as O'Dempseys second team.

Joeythelips

Quote from: The PRO on August 30, 2018, 08:13:17 AM
Annanough and Park should win comfortably in the quarters tonight. Kilcavan could get turned over by Ballyroan Abbey but hard to call. Portlaoise third team might not be as strong as O'Dempseys second team.

Have not seen any football this year but does sound like Kilcavan v Ballyroan will be closest one to call, Ballyroan have posted some impressive scorelines in their 3 games to date, so obviously are decent and should be a good game. Hard to see Annanough or Park been overly troubled alright.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Laois Shopping Centre JFC Quarter Finals Results

O'Dempsey's            1-8
Portlaoise                 1-5

Annanough              2-9
Camross                  0-13

Park-Ratheniska     3-6
Killeshin                  0-5

Kilcavan                  2-15
Ballyroan-Abbey     0-9
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

BallyroanAbu

A fitter more motivated Kilcavan beat us, we were disappointing. 

Jd

Was at Annanough  and Camross.  Annanough  looked really impressive leading by 7 or 8 at half time.  Match over!!
Second half dominated  by Camross  and fitness seemed  to be a bit of an issue for Annanough.  They're  an aging team maybe. What  would be a worry for annanough is that they were out pointed by something like 7 to 2 in second period. Having  said that I still think they have to be favourites  as all the other teams beat other clubs second teams while Camross fielded  a powerful athletic first team.  Kilchoan could be timing  it to perfection  though.  They know how to win juniors. Fresh is some man to be still going so well!

Joeythelips

Semi final draw:

Kilcavan v O'Dempsey's

Annanough v Park-Ratheniska

SCFC

I think we'll have a Kilcavan v Annanough final. Surely Annanough can lift it a bit from scraping by Camross?