Laser Eye Surgey

Started by supersarsfields, September 09, 2013, 03:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Quote from: ha ha derry on August 31, 2016, 05:32:56 PM
Any updates on this topic ? I've been for the examination and been recommended for lens replacement surgery. The only thing scares me is the price. I will have it done, but would consider travelling for the procedure if I could save ££
you get what you pay for - this is your eyes we are talking about not ingrown toe-nails...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Lar Naparka

Any updates on this topic ? I've been for the examination and been recommended for lens replacement surgery. The only thing scares me is the price. I will have it done, but would consider travelling for the procedure if I could save ££
I have had the same procedure carried out a couple of weeks ago so it's too early yet to say  whether the job has been fully successful or not.
I have a problem driving at night as I see a halo about white lights approaching me and a series of concentric red circles surrounding brake lights and stop traffic control reds.
I've been told that this is a perfectly normal after effect and that it should have cleared up in six to nine months time.
However, Optical Express, the people who carried out the work never advised me of this. I paid € 3,600 for both eyes and was told that the VHI would pay the same amount. 
I think €7,200 is a serious amount for a pair of pretty straightforward operations and I can't say that I feel I got value for money just yet.

I will need to have follow up laser work in a few months time  on my right eye because of severe astigmatism.
The sight in my left eye is very much improved and I'm now able to read newspaper text and the likes- 8 point or even smaller.
Overall, it's too early to say whether the procedures were successful or not but I'm hopeful that everything will come right in the end.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ha ha derry

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 31, 2016, 06:29:38 PM
I have had the same procedure carried out a couple of weeks ago so it's too early yet to say  whether the job has been fully successful or not.
I have a problem driving at night as I see a halo about white lights approaching me and a series of concentric red circles surrounding brake lights and stop traffic control reds.
I've been told that this is a perfectly normal after effect and that it should have cleared up in six to nine months time.
However, Optical Express, the people who carried out the work never advised me of this. I paid € 3,600 for both eyes and was told that the VHI would pay the same amount. 
I think €7,200 is a serious amount for a pair of pretty straightforward operations and I can't say that I feel I got value for money just yet.

I will need to have follow up laser work in a few months time  on my right eye because of severe astigmatism.
The sight in my left eye is very much improved and I'm now able to read newspaper text and the likes- 8 point or even smaller.
Overall, it's too early to say whether the procedures were successful or not but I'm hopeful that everything will come right in the end.

Same outfit that I went to for the examination. They explained those side effects in full to me, though they say the risk is now very much reduced as they use new lenses which are smooth rather than a series of raised circles. At £6990 I think it's a bit much, but benefits would be worth it if successful . Surgery to be carried out in Clane.

WT4E

I got it done about 18 months ago with Optimax in Belfast. There are two types of operation it was sort of explained to me that you can have the op that is painful for a few days after but you can continue to play contact sports or if you don't want to play contact sports you can have the procedure that has a quicker recovery and not as painful. So I took the more painful option.

After an hour for a couple of days after the procedure – it was painful and torturous but it was worth it in the end as I'd say I have 20/20 vision now. For a few months after the procedure I was concerned that one eye wasn't as successful as the other as it seemed to be better sighted but not 20/20 – on after care appointments I raised this and they said it should be okay in a few months and it actually is.

Only down side is I'm trying to convince the wife to get it done and she has been put off by what I went through in the couple of days afterwards.

I think I got a pretty good deal. I pay £55/mth I'm nearly sure its over 3 years but seems low now when I think of it so may be over 4 years). Considering I was spending about £35/mth on contact lenses the cost is really only about £20/mth

ha ha derry

Sorted.. Cathederal Eye Clinic belfast are £900 cheaper and no running up and down to Dublin for post op checkups.

supersarsfields

I ended up getting it done in Optimax on the Lisburn road and one of the best decision I ever made. We had a company rate and got it done for just under £2000 back in 2014. Went for the least painful method and it was sore that night, but by the time I woke up in the morning the pain was gone. Was fit to return to Contact sport after 3 months and no problems since.
Had the haze afterwards when looking at bright lights but that disappeared after a few weeks and no problems since.
Anyone thinking about it, I would urge to do it.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ha ha derry on September 01, 2016, 07:22:21 AM

Same outfit that I went to for the examination. They explained those side effects in full to me, though they say the risk is now very much reduced as they use new lenses which are smooth rather than a series of raised circles. At £6990 I think it's a bit much, but benefits would be worth it if successful . Surgery to be carried out in Clane.
Your price was considerably dearer than mine. At today's conversion rate, your bill comes to €8,300 approx. I paid half the cost (€3,600) of my job and the VHI chipped in with the rest so the bill came to €7,200.
My work was done in Clane also so I don't understand why you paid considerably more than I did, especially as most things cost more than they do in Ulster.
After the second eye was treated, the surgeon did tell me that I would need additional, laser, treatment after 3 to 4 months but he followed up by saying that he couldn't guarantee anything other than cataracts would never pose a problem again!
That's a long way off what an optometrist in Wellington Road  told me when he was checking my eyes for the first time.
He said he'd guarantee me 20/20 vision in each eye when the process of healing was complete.
So I'll have to be patient and let time take its course. Probably won't have anything to worry about but things are as straightforward as I had been led to believe.

ha ha derry

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 01, 2016, 01:05:36 PM
Quote from: ha ha derry on September 01, 2016, 07:22:21 AM

Your price was considerably dearer than mine. At today's conversion rate, your bill comes to €8,300 approx. I paid half the cost (€3,600) of my job and the VHI chipped in with the rest so the bill came to €7,200.
My work was done in Clane also so I don't understand why you paid considerably more than I did, especially as most things cost more than they do in Ulster.
After the second eye was treated, the surgeon did tell me that I would need additional, laser, treatment after 3 to 4 months but he followed up by saying that he couldn't guarantee anything other than cataracts would never pose a problem again!
That's a long way off what an optometrist in Wellington Road  told me when he was checking my eyes for the first time.
He said he'd guarantee me 20/20 vision in each eye when the process of healing was complete.
So I'll have to be patient and let time take its course. Probably won't have anything to worry about but things are as straightforward as I had been led to believe.

going to go with another clinic @ £2900 per eye. based in belfast so much handier. really appreciate the feedback though.

gallsman

Any update on how you're getting on Lar? Am going to book myself in for a consultation in Belfast when I'm home at Christmas. Have decided it's finally time. Whats the minumum recovery time that would allow you to play football afterwards?

stiffler

Anyone any recommendations for a good place to get laser eye surgery done in Belfast ? Seems to be a mountain of options out there.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Lar Naparka

Quote from: gallsman on October 10, 2016, 09:13:11 AM
Any update on how you're getting on Lar? Am going to book myself in for a consultation in Belfast when I'm home at Christmas. Have decided it's finally time. Whats the minumum recovery time that would allow you to play football afterwards?
I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome. My short vision has improved dramatically. Mid distance has improved and long range vision has improved somewhat but not to the extent I had been expecting. I see a halo around bright lights at night. I was told this would be a temporary phase as my brain adjusted to the new lenses.
It hasn't and probably won't but it's no big deal once you get used to it.
There were a few other hiccups as well, white traffic lines on the road in front would appear to have a sky blue layer, slightly off-centre. For all the world, you would swear that the lines were 3 D shapes.
That sorted itself out over time and apart from the halo effect, I have no major reservations.
I was given a year's guarantee with each eye, where follow up checks and any problems that might have arisen would be covered by the company.
For me, the question of playing football did not arise but I was told when each eye was treated that it could take from four to six weeks the lens had beeded in and eye functionality returned to normal.

HTH

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 09, 2013, 06:27:13 PM
Wife had it done about 8 years ago. She was very short sighted and it cured her completely.
Wife's operation now 13 years old. She's still fine but does use off the shelf glasses for reading. They told her this would happen as she got older, she's 56 now, but apart from that she's 100% and she was very short sighted.
Careful now

WT4E

Quote from: stiffler on July 17, 2018, 08:28:57 PM
Anyone any recommendations for a good place to get laser eye surgery done in Belfast ? Seems to be a mountain of options out there.

Got it done in optimax Lisburn Road about 3-4 years ago - some job I counted them good and vision been 20/20 since.

I might get you to mention me if you use them - could be worth a few quid to me plus I have a feeling I know who you are!!!!  ;D

Over the Bar

I've an astigmatism so was quoted 4-5k. Got back 50% off voucher from Optimax in 2012 and got it for £2k. Best money ever spent. 2-3 days of discomfort and back to 20/20 since.

stiffler

Anyone get the surgery done in optical express?

I have been recommended for idesign, it's the most expensive but they said it's the best on the market (although all firms prob say the same).
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009