weekend away in Ireland

Started by phpearse, July 28, 2008, 04:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phpearse

am heading away the weekend of the 23-25 Aug somewhere in Ireland. Would love to travel to Kerry but for a weekend its a bit too far to travel for a few days. Would more than likely end up on the West coast, Mayo / galway country but has anyone any recommendations for the east coast or even the midlands?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

County Clare is lovely, don't go near Limerick!
Tbc....

magickingdom

westport is a lovely spot and its hard to beat galway city for a w/e

Pangurban

Avoid the massive rip off that is the east coast, stay well away from Limerick, cant go wrong in  Galway or Mayo

Goats Do Shave

I'd reccomend Waterford City in the South, Westport & Galway in the west.

Ennis used to be decent too.

Go see the Cliff's of Moher during the day!  ;)

magickingdom

Quote from: Pangurban on July 29, 2008, 09:34:06 PM
Avoid the massive rip off that is the east coast, stay well away from Limerick, cant go wrong in  Galway or Mayo

limerick gets alot of bad press pangurban but as someone whose there a lot it aint bad at all..

Pangurban

You are right Magickingdom, it aint bad it is the pits and while i hate to generalise with sweeping statements, i feel compelled to state that with i am sure a few honourable exceptions, the people of that county are the most obnoxious you will find anywhere in Europe

mylestheslasher

Might I suggest Cavan/Leitrim/Fermanagh. You could hire a Cruiser on the Shannon or Erne (Enniskillen, Belturbet, Ballinamore, Carrick On Shannon) and you'll have access to the Shannon, Erne and Shannon Erne Canal. Loads of nice villages along the route to stop for pints. I never met anyone who didn't enjoy the trip.

Turlough O Carolan

Lough Ree area - where the 3 counties meet - very nice. Athlone too gets a bad rap, but it's got some nice hotels and restaurants, and lots of historic sights (Castle, Oldest Pub in Ireland). Lots of grand places along the Shannon - Rooskey, imo, being the nicest.

Rossfan

Turn left after Carrick onto the Boyle River - Cootehall is a great place despite the empty housing estate built in it  and on to lovely Lough Key.
A visit to Boyle would do you good too. If on land a trip up to Carolan Country and up to the Mining experience in Arigna and you'd be grand.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

slow corner back

Quote from: Turlough O Carolan on July 31, 2008, 07:13:14 PM
Lough Ree area - where the 3 counties meet - very nice. Athlone too gets a bad rap, but it's got some nice hotels and restaurants, and lots of historic sights (Castle, Oldest Pub in Ireland). Lots of grand places along the Shannon - Rooskey, imo, being the nicest.
How many oldest pubs in ireland are there. There was one on the old belfast to dublin road somewhere in meath

Lazer

Quote from: hardstation on July 31, 2008, 08:02:29 PM
Quote from: slow corner back on July 31, 2008, 07:59:50 PM
Quote from: Turlough O Carolan on July 31, 2008, 07:13:14 PM
How many oldest pubs in ireland are there. There was one on the old belfast to dublin road somewhere in meath
Exactly. Same as the 'highest pub in Ireland'.

The highest pub in Ireland is the Ponderosa!
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

fred the red

Johnny foxes is the highest pub in ireland.

Lazer

Quote from: fred the red on July 31, 2008, 10:15:43 PM
Johnny foxes is the highest pub in ireland.

Ponderosa, Derry: 947ft
Johnny Foxes: 910ft
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

fred the red

Well then hes false advertising!