All Ireland Gold Tonight - Dublin Galway 83

Started by phpearse, October 27, 2007, 07:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phpearse

Before yous all head to the pub tonite - All Ireland Gold Dublin v Galway 1983 - Get the bxing gloves out!!!

Puckoon

"You can see by the jigging around that many of them are doing, that they are ready to get on with it"
Classic.

P. Canavan #5 for dublin? :o

Fierce amount of soccer style play going on.

Puckoon

donegal gael

jesus after watching that the standard of football ewas woeful back then, granted the conitions were bad but basic kicking and handling errors were made right throughout the game, the players just seemed to hit and hope as soon as they got the ball.. great elbow by mullins though it was a clinker!!

orangeman

It wasn't bad football - it was the best around at THAT TIME - Things do progress with time - it wasn't that they were bad footballers, they were very good footballers who weren't as fit and as toned as today's players - However Brian Mullins and a good few others would leave a lot of today's players on their backs if they were playing them today. !! Hard men !

donegal gael

how can you say it wasn't bad.. it was brutal the basic skills of most of the players was very poor

orangeman

No coaching or skills back then - it was pure brute force - no frills but plenty of spills !

Puckoon

Jesus it was terrible viewing. Compare it to the Ulster final the following year when McGuigan tore it up. Maybe it was conditons, nerves, or maybe it was the MIKASA GLOVES, but the basic skills of the two best teams in the land that day were seriously lacking! At times that was like watching an u-12 game!
That said, P Canavan was the best player on the pitch, again! :D

orangeman

Canalman

My skin still crawled as I saw the crowd surges on the Canal End in the 2nd half when the Dubs attacked.

We are lucky that we are not talking about a Hillsborough type event when we discuss the 83 final.My mate's father is in the Fire Brigade and he still talks about examining the  buckled/bent steel supports on both terraces on the Monday after the gane and being told by his superiors at their amazement that there was no fatalities.

Hound

Quote from: donegal gael on October 27, 2007, 11:28:17 PM
how can you say it wasn't bad.. it was brutal the basic skills of most of the players was very poor
Very few games played in those conditions showcase skill.

But Barney's goal was pure class  ;D

Declan

Conditions dictated that it was never going to be a skilfest. Dirty Galway lads trying to bully the poor ould dubs sure got their cumuppence ;)

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: Declan on October 30, 2007, 11:11:01 AM
Conditions dictated that it was never going to be a skilfest. Dirty Galway lads trying to bully the poor ould dubs sure got their cumuppence ;)

Dirty Jackeen bastards  ;D

Kerry Mike

The Jackeens were poxed lucky in 1983, only for Tadhg Murphy's late goal in the Munster final, Dublin would not have beaten Kerry like the langers rolled over for them. Jaysus they were a filthy shower in 83 though but we sorted them out out in 84 and 85 with a team of old men.

And only one All Ireland since for the Jackeens , its comical.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

GalwayBayBoy

That brought back some bad memories alright. I was actually a bit young to remember the game though but have seen it on video since.

Really was our own fault not winning the match. For all the talk of the defiant defence of the 12 apostles we actually had plenty of chances in the 2nd half but kicked some terrible wides. Granted the conditions were awful but no excuse for wide balls from 25 yards out straight in front. I think a bit of panic set in and in that weather it was always likely to be a low scoring game.

Obviously Mullins and Duff had to go. Tomas Tierney and Ray Hazley were unlucky really for what was a minor bit of pushing and shoving. Another Dublin player (can't remember who it was) could have gone though for the box he landed on the head of Brian Talty.

Didn't take our chances so didn't deserve to win. Set Galway football back 10 years that game. That side won a couple of Connacht's afterwards but then went 8 years without even a provincial title.

Am I right in thinking it was that day that led the GAA to begin the process of getting Croke Park redeveloped.