Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Each Party got 15 minutes with Sunak except DUPUDA who got hour and ahalf.
Presumably trying to unhook them from peg they hung themselves on.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedHand88

Quote from: Rossfan on February 17, 2023, 01:19:43 PM
Each Party got 15 minutes with Sunak except DUPUDA who got hour and ahalf.
Presumably trying to unhook them from peg they hung themselves on.

The DUP drew a big red line around any kind of checks from GB.
This now seems inevitable with green/red lanes rumoured to be the agreement.
The feeling I get from Talkback and twitter today is that the Loyalist knives are already out for Jeffrey.
The difference in tone between Mary Lou and Jeffrey over lunchtime tells us all we need to know.

johnnycool

I see Boris wading in on the NIP talks and that Bill that's stalled in Parliament.

Normally if you'd made such a fúck up of being Prime minister you'd keep your head down and say SFA but not the brazen Boris who is making yet another power play for Tory leadership by doing his utmost to undermine Sunak.

Zero fúcks given for NI and Unionism, it's all about himself.

armaghniac

Quote from: johnnycool on February 20, 2023, 11:30:07 AM
Zero fúcks given for NI and Unionism, it's all about himself.

Exactly, he is essentially calling on Sunak to overthrow the Protocol that Boris himself negotiated.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eire90

i think boris will be back as pm and if manages to lose only half of their predicted seats he will say he is the saviour that saved the tories from wipeout and he will remain as leader to the 29/30 election and if he wins he could then be around to 34/35

thewobbler

Quote from: Eire90 on February 20, 2023, 12:17:24 PM
i think boris will be back as pm and if manages to lose only half of their predicted seats he will say he is the saviour that saved the tories from wipeout and he will remain as leader to the 29/30 election and if he wins he could then be around to 34/35

There's a much more than healthy chance that BJ will not be re-elected in his constituency in 2024.

maddog

Quote from: thewobbler on February 20, 2023, 01:34:11 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on February 20, 2023, 12:17:24 PM

There's a much more than healthy chance that BJ will not be re-elected in his constituency in 2024.

apparently he has bought a big pad somewhere in oxfordshire and rumour has it he will stand there. Safer seat as well

imtommygunn

That p***k will probably come out smelling of roses no matter what.

I would say he would lose the seat he's in but I'm sure he'll work something out.

Dubh driocht

Boris is an opportunist, with zero morals and no regard for anyone living on this island.
Fair play to all the civil servants on the EU and UK side for making efforts to minimise the impact of the disaster that is Brexit. The recent report from the Bank of England highlighting that Brexit is costing every UK household £1,000 per year is interesting.  So all of us in the North are £1,000 worse off every year because of that disastrous decision.
I know there are many union members on here from the North, some of whom are in NIPSA, the public service union. So a question for NIPSA leaders; do they still support Brexit?

johnnycool

Quote from: Dubh driocht on February 20, 2023, 02:45:44 PM
Boris is an opportunist, with zero morals and no regard for anyone living on this island.
Fair play to all the civil servants on the EU and UK side for making efforts to minimise the impact of the disaster that is Brexit. The recent report from the Bank of England highlighting that Brexit is costing every UK household £1,000 per year is interesting.  So all of us in the North are £1,000 worse off every year because of that disastrous decision.
I know there are many union members on here from the North, some of whom are in NIPSA, the public service union. So a question for NIPSA leaders; do they still support Brexit?

That question was asked of Mick Lynch on the James O'Brien LBC radio show and his answer was interesting if somewhat ill thought out.

He said migrant labour was keeping wages artificially low and Rail companies were feeding off that.
When questioned further about workers rights and the current bonfire of them being burned because the UK is out of the EU, his answer was less than insightful that they didn't expect this government to go so far so fast.
Where has he been? This is the most corrupt, right wing Gov ever in my lifetime, putting Thatcher in the ha'penny place in that regards.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on February 20, 2023, 03:03:35 PM

That question was asked of Mick Lynch on the James O'Brien LBC radio show and his answer was interesting if somewhat ill thought out.

He said migrant labour was keeping wages artificially low and Rail companies were feeding off that.
When questioned further about workers rights and the current bonfire of them being burned because the UK is out of the EU, his answer was less than insightful that they didn't expect this government to go so far so fast.
Where has he been? This is the most corrupt, right wing Gov ever in my lifetime, putting Thatcher in the ha'penny place in that regards.
In fairness they really upped the speed recently

Main Street

Unfortunately Mick's knowledge of the EU is sub primary school level. Member countries are not forced to privatise public transport by EU neo-liberal fanatics. For instance, CIE is public owned and still the  undefeated champion of public transport in Ireland. It's individual countries who chose to privatise publicly owned transport companies. On top of that he choses to be ill informed about the EU's trade union policy and practice since the Euro Trade Union Institute was founded  in early '70s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Trade_Union_Confederation

The consensus  among most all commissioned reports ( pre Brexit vote) was that

"there was little effect of EU immigration on inequality through reducing the pay and jobs of less skilled UK workers, while changes in wages and unemployment for less skilled UK-born workers show little correlation with changes in EU immigration
.EU immigrants pay more in taxes than they use public services and therefore they help to reduce the budget deficit. Immigrants do not have a negative effect on local services such as education, health or social housing; nor do they have any effect on social instability as indicated by crime rates.
"

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/may/11/eu-migrants-had-no-negative-effect-on-uk-wages-says-lse

seafoid

Migrant labour does keep wages down. So did austerity.  UK wages are about 15% lower than in 2008.

Kidder81

Mick Lynch is a brexiteer

Main Street

Quote from: seafoid on February 20, 2023, 10:53:49 PM

Migrant labour does keep wages down. So did austerity.  UK wages are about 15% lower than in 2008.
Read the script,
EU migrant labour did not/does not keep UK manual wages down.
The reasons why UK wages were/are lower have nothing to do with EU migrant labour.
Mick Lynch is talking through his hole when raging agin the EU.