Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on December 30, 2022, 03:23:18 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 30, 2022, 02:39:01 PM
Quote from: general_lee on December 30, 2022, 02:33:32 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 30, 2022, 02:24:00 PM
Quote from: general_lee on December 30, 2022, 02:20:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 30, 2022, 01:42:11 PM
Are we banning businesses who have an employee with tattoos of paramilitaries? Where do we stop with that one?
Just the employees, pretty simple.
Have you a list of tattoos you feel will fit the bill?

Shamrocks, poppies? Tricolours union jacks, UVF, IRA and so on?

Someone posted something on here recently saying things we do when we are young shouldn't define us when we are older and wiser
There are some basic requirements of employees when representing a business and providing a good image is one of them. It's up to an employer to determine what they deem suitable or unsuitable, I'd say UVF tattoos would fall under the latter. I certainly wouldn't hire anyone with a UVF or poppy tattoo, especially if they insisted on displaying it.

All tattoos of that nature I assume?  IRA and tricolour shamrocks would fall into that category?
Not sure of the significance of a shamrock tattoo that puts it  in the same category as paramilitary tattoos. Obviously an IRA tattoo would be a straight no.

Poppies and Shamrocks two flowers which annoy both sides and label them, we'd have ones saying they are bigots so could offend people, you only have to look at the poppy thread here
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 30, 2022, 03:26:48 PM
Are we banning businesses who have an employee with tattoos of paramilitaries? Where do we stop with that one?

Someone posted something on here recently saying things we do when we are young shouldn't define us when we are older and wiser
There are some basic requirements of employees when representing a business and providing a good image is one of them. It's up to an employer to determine what they deem suitable or unsuitable, I'd say UVF tattoos would fall under the latter. I certainly wouldn't hire anyone with a UVF or poppy tattoo, especially if they insisted on displaying it.

All tattoos of that nature I assume?  IRA and tricolour shamrocks would fall into that category?
Not sure of the significance of a shamrock tattoo that puts it  in the same category as paramilitary tattoos. Obviously an IRA tattoo would be a straight no.

Poppies and Shamrocks two flowers which annoy both sides and label them, we'd have ones saying they are bigots so could offend people, you only have to look at the poppy thread here
Shamrock doesn't annoy anyone. Heavily used in Loyalist iconology.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on December 30, 2022, 05:12:25 PM

Does on StPatricks day,  but good to know you speak for everyone one lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 30, 2022, 05:13:58 PM

If you can point me to one instance of a Unionist, loyalist or other being upset by the sight of a shamrock, ever, I'll eat my hat. It's tricolours on st Patrick's day that winds the other side up.

Main Street

Perhaps MR2  is confusing the shamrock with the Easter Lily,    who wouldn't?  ;D 

Poppies -  British Military remembrance symbol

Easter Lily  -  Republican remembrance symbol

Shamrock -   Guinness pint head decoration

seafoid

Quote from: general_lee on December 30, 2022, 07:02:30 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 30, 2022, 05:13:58 PM

If you can point me to one instance of a Unionist, loyalist or other being upset by the sight of a shamrock, ever, I'll eat my hat. It's tricolours on st Patrick's day that winds the other side up.
Shamrocks are a club in Newry. I wonder how much respect they got from the RUC from 1920 to 1995

Milltown Row2

It's an identity thing that gets people annoyed, in this wee place some tend to change their view on things when they Identify someone from the 'other' side.

seafoid

Brexit has now cost 5.5% of GDP.
Support is less than 40%.

RedHand88

Quote from: seafoid on December 30, 2022, 07:33:46 PM

Sunlit uplands.

bennydorano

Chat about another deal seem to be gathering pace. I predict nothing pleasing the ERG / DUP heads, Sunak only gets it through Parliament with Labour votes, mayhem continues and an Election is called by Autumn - only way to head off the Boris brigade.

Orior

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 31, 2022, 06:17:39 AM

Sunlit uplands.

Apparently it's all the remoaners fault.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

johnnycool

Quote from: bennydorano on February 15, 2023, 01:50:31 PM
Chat about another deal seem to be gathering pace. I predict nothing pleasing the ERG / DUP heads, Sunak only gets it through Parliament with Labour votes, mayhem continues and an Election is called by Autumn - only way to head off the Boris brigade.

Starmer is every bit the unionist when it comes to the NIP, don't expect him to whip his MP's to vote with Sunak on this one, it's a good chance for Starmer to bloody Sunaks nose which may work in Sunaks favour as a lot of Tory's know this.

armaghniac

Quote from: johnnycool on February 15, 2023, 04:04:39 PM
Starmer is every bit the unionist when it comes to the NIP, don't expect him to whip his MP's to vote with Sunak on this one, it's a good chance for Starmer to bloody Sunaks nose which may work in Sunaks favour as a lot of Tory's know this.

No, he will vote to support a reasonable proposal. Having the Conservative vote split would be a powerful advantage to the Labour party and easing things with the EU will be supported by most people. For instance, the EU is not allowing universities enter the Horizon research programmes until the NI Protocol is sorted out, it would be good publicity for Starmer to say that he had made this possible. Some Labour voters care about universities, feck all give a damn about the DUP.

https://news.sky.com/story/starmer-says-labour-will-support-sunak-over-northern-ireland-protocol-12785694
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: Orior on February 15, 2023, 03:47:41 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on December 31, 2022, 06:17:39 AM

Sunlit uplands.

Apparently it's all the remoaners fault.
Especially because they were right

RedHand88

Only making the 3rd top story of BBC page today.

The British have moved on from brexit.