Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Are the budgets not being set by civil servants though? Has that not happened?

t_mac

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 29, 2019, 03:15:06 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 29, 2019, 03:06:55 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 29, 2019, 02:40:25 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 29, 2019, 02:35:34 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 29, 2019, 02:27:04 PM
I don't like SF particularly much but you can't fault them for the government thing. There is no compromise in the DUP - they never compromise on anything and never have. Also there is no accountability for anything or Foster would be long gone. At lest with the McElduff and MCKay things there was some form of accountability. If it was the DUP they'd still be sitting there.

Then you read all this crap about eroding Loyalist culture etc. The DUP wouldn't have any form of Irish culture about the place. They need to be called on this and finally have been.

Yes and given this, it's important that key services are cut as a result and that the most vulnerable of society pay the price. Maith thú Sinn Fein.
Simple Question, do you think SF should give in everytime DUP pull the plug on something they don't like just to keep Stormont running?

Is Stormont perfect? Absolutely not. Is a half working Stormont better that what we currently have? Absolutely yes.
SF are not interested in working to improve the lives of everyday people. There only interest is in filling their own pockets. People need to see them for what they are.

I don't agree. A Stormont being dedicated to by the DUP with no true belief or want to share power with nationalists is not something I would want to be a part of. Absolutely not. We've been there and I would be loath to return.

What about the vulnerable citizens who are suffering as a direct result of no administration - do they not matter at all?

t_mac

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 29, 2019, 03:18:34 PM

There is a lot can't happen without ministerial sign off.

trailer

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 29, 2019, 03:18:34 PM

They only have limited power around budgets. Hence the cuts to services. And anyway budgets are only one issue. There's decisions that need taken around reform of the Health Service, Education and Infrastructure projects. And literally without sitting down and going through everything.

But yeah, lets stuff it right these DUP pricks. Sinn Fein's position is set everything on fire, then blame us. 70% of the people didn't vote for this. They have no Mandate for what they're doing.

screenexile

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 29, 2019, 03:10:25 PM
Quote from: t_mac on July 29, 2019, 02:52:01 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 29, 2019, 02:31:24 PM
Quote from: t_mac on July 29, 2019, 01:50:12 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 29, 2019, 01:27:28 PM
Quote from: t_mac on July 29, 2019, 01:06:48 PM
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-no-deal-northern-ireland-direct-rule-dominic-raab-boris-johnson-a9024801.html

Back to the good old days of direct rule, the Shinners are playing a blinder.

If only the right honourable member for West Tyrone spoke in the commons. Then Boris would see the light and become completely reasonable.  :P

Or maybe if they took their seats in Stormont, but no Shinners want as much chaos as possible with as many economic causalities as possible (none of which will be themselves) so that they can pursue a United Ireland.
There's a real habit of simplifying the issue here to have a go at SF. Stormont was a joke, and while I'm conflicted with regards to whether they should re-look at taking their seats in Westminister, I definitely would not want them backing down again to the DUP and giving in regarding Stormont.

And in the meantime, operations are cancelled, breast clinic at Craigavon is up for closure, kids are being sent home to beg parents for money for books, roads are a joke etc etc.  SF will do nothing from the outside they need to reengage and stand up for the rights of those who voted for them.  DUP haven't the numbers for a petition of concern anymore SF need to help their communities.

I've no issue with them reengaging, and I'd like to see that happening. But if it's to reengage so that they have to concede more and more just to keep the DUP happy then no. And trust me the DUP at the minute believe they are invincible with the Tories backing. They'll be driving that home now more than ever.

What exactly are they conceding?? The reason why the Executive collapsed is because Arlene wouldn't stand down over the RHI Enquiry. That's due to be released shortly so there shouldn't be an issue there anymore!!

On the other issues it's the DUP who would have to concede. . . it's the Shinners who want a ridiculous Irish Language act (I love the language but having an act is a waste of money), and want gay marriage which is fine but is going to happen anyway.

They should scrap the language act and make sure there's another election before the executive sits. They only had one more seat than the Shinners last time so there's a fair chance they could get the majority this time!!

The people have suffered enough education/health/construction are on their knees at the minute and that's before a Hard Brexit they need the Executive back ASAP!!

trailer

trailer

And you know what, SF actually have some people who could add real value. Just look at Pearse Doherty's takedown of the Insurance industry. They've some stooges, but they do actually have some good talent as well.

trueblue1234

Quote from: t_mac on July 29, 2019, 03:17:05 PM
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-no-deal-northern-ireland-direct-rule-dominic-raab-boris-johnson-a9024801.html

If only the right honourable member for West Tyrone spoke in the commons. Then Boris would see the light and become completely reasonable.  :P

Or maybe if they took their seats in Stormont, but no Shinners want as much chaos as possible with as many economic causalities as possible (none of which will be themselves) so that they can pursue a United Ireland.
There's a real habit of simplifying the issue here to have a go at SF. Stormont was a joke, and while I'm conflicted with regards to whether they should re-look at taking their seats in Westminister, I definitely would not want them backing down again to the DUP and giving in regarding Stormont.

And in the meantime, operations are cancelled, breast clinic at Craigavon is up for closure, kids are being sent home to beg parents for money for books, roads are a joke etc etc.  SF will do nothing from the outside they need to reengage and stand up for the rights of those who voted for them.  DUP haven't the numbers for a petition of concern anymore SF need to help their communities.

I've no issue with them reengaging, and I'd like to see that happening. But if it's to reengage so that they have to concede more and more just to keep the DUP happy then no. And trust me the DUP at the minute believe they are invincible with the Tories backing. They'll be driving that home now more than ever.

What are they conceding, there is going to be LGBT rights, and an Irish Language is not going to happen under no Stormont and definitely not with direct rule.  Do you think folk lying on trolleys in hospitals, operations cancelled, school budgets evaporating, social care up the left is a good price to pay for the people in the North for Sinn Feins red lines, why not go and fight for their causes in the institutions which can deliver them FFS.

Would this have happened if Stormont was still active? The reality is no. A perfect example of why Stormont is broken. You believe that because the DUP have reneged on something they have previously agreed, that SF should look to reengaged and negotiate downwards just to keep "Power" in NI. That's not something I agree with.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

haranguerer

There are certain rights which northern citizens are being denied. Its very easy to isolate a demand (ILA) and hold it up against health for e.g. to make a spurious point which is easily adopted, but it isn't a representation of reality.

The reality is that there has long been a feeling (substantially borne by the evidence) that the DUP has no interest in sharing power with nationalists - 'hold their nose to do so' etc. It always had to come to a head - they must accept that we are equal to them, and deserve to be treated as such. This isn't about new demands, but about the implementation of that which was promised. It saddens me that so many fall for the DUP tactic of reducing this to an ILA - by any measure they're clearly at fault here, and there is no clearer evidence for that than the fact that a deal was agreed which they reneged on. On that point alone, if you've negotiated and agreed a deal which is then kiboshed by shadowy figures in the background  where do you go? You're negotiating with the wrong people, but the people with the real power it seems won't negotiate with you. How that's SF's fault is beyond me.

It seems to me that Arlene et al get grace the SF don't - had M'ON presided over RHI most nationalists would be calling for her head. Do we just accept that the DUP will never be held to the same standards and thats ok? Why is that?

haranguerer

Quote from: trailer on July 29, 2019, 03:07:52 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 29, 2019, 03:03:11 PM
I don't like SF particularly much but you can't fault them for the government thing. There is no compromise in the DUP - they never compromise on anything and never have. Also there is no accountability for anything or Foster would be long gone. At lest with the McElduff and MCKay things there was some form of accountability. If it was the DUP they'd still be sitting there.

Then you read all this crap about eroding Loyalist culture etc. The DUP wouldn't have any form of Irish culture about the place. They need to be called on this and finally have been.

Yes and given this, it's important that key services are cut as a result and that the most vulnerable of society pay the price. Maith thú Sinn Fein.

Yeah sure let's just keep rolling over to these pricks.

The language of peace and reconciliation.

Out of interest, at what point do you think we should be entitled to be seen and treated as equal? 10 years time? 50? Never?

haranguerer

Quote from: trailer on July 29, 2019, 03:26:48 PM
SF Voters

The language of peace and reconciliation  ::)

trailer

Quote from: haranguerer on July 29, 2019, 03:38:41 PM

Out of interest, at what point do you think we should be entitled to be seen and treated as equal? 10 years time? 50? Never?

We are being treated as equals. Last time I checked everyone was being denied a functioning health service and as far as I am aware everyone's children are facing cuts to their schooling.
If you have an inferiority complex that's an issue you should address personally.

t_mac

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 29, 2019, 03:34:03 PM

What are they conceding, there is going to be LGBT rights, and an Irish Language is not going to happen under no Stormont and definitely not with direct rule.  Do you think folk lying on trolleys in hospitals, operations cancelled, school budgets evaporating, social care up the left is a good price to pay for the people in the North for Sinn Feins red lines, why not go and fight for their causes in the institutions which can deliver them FFS.

Would this have happened if Stormont was still active? The reality is no. A perfect example of why Stormont is broken. You believe that because the DUP have reneged on something they have previously agreed, that SF should look to reengaged and negotiate downwards just to keep "Power" in NI. That's not something I agree with.

So just let the vulnerable citizens suffer on then? LGBT would always have been passed, again back to the vulnerable citizens suffering because of no working administration, that's OK is it, for the greater cause?

screenexile

Quote from: haranguerer on July 29, 2019, 03:38:41 PM

I've been living here for 33 odd years and could count on one hand the number of times I've not been treated equal with regard to me being a Catholic and none of those times has been in the last 10 years!!

GJL

Quote from: t_mac on July 29, 2019, 03:44:15 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 29, 2019, 03:34:03 PM

So just let the vulnerable citizens suffer on then? LGBT would always have been passed, again back to the vulnerable citizens suffering because of no working administration, that's OK is it, for the greater cause?

If only there was a working administration then the 6 counties would have brilliant public services like the rest of the UK. ::)