Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

If I understood May's statement correctly, does this mean the path is now open to delaying Brexit, which could create enough space for a referendum on the deal? If she's a closet remainer, then her tactic might have been to be seen to exhaust every effort to get the best possible deal through parliament (which was never going to fly) and then put a no-deal/remain choice to the voters to break the logjam.

OgraAnDun

I think that would display a level of tactical nouse and foresight that May does not appear to possess.

armaghniac

Tomorrow they are going to announce the proposed "no deal" customs duties. This would determine the fate of whole industries.
Say you are in Tyrone and made widgets which you sell throughout Ireland,  if they put zero duty on widgets while the EU has a duty on widgets then you are banjaxed in 2 weeks time. If Hammond was cute he'd pick a couple of things that would put the heat under the DUP to vote against "no deal".

Strange times.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

Has boris Johnson ever visited crossmaglen? Just watching a clip on Twitter where hermon asks him this and he says he has. Has to be a lie?

Reminds me a bit of the guy on the Liverpool thread talking about 8 bars singing Munich songs. I.e. completely made up and I would like to se evidence...

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 12, 2019, 10:26:33 PM
Has boris Johnson ever visited crossmaglen? Just watching a clip on Twitter where hermon asks him this and he says he has. Has to be a lie?

I doubt it. Has Hermon?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on March 12, 2019, 10:39:03 PM

I doubt it. Has Hermon?

Just her hubby
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Quote from: armaghniac on March 12, 2019, 09:55:47 PM
Tomorrow they are going to announce the proposed "no deal" customs duties. This would determine the fate of whole industries.
Say you are in Tyrone and made widgets which you sell throughout Ireland,  if they put zero duty on widgets while the EU has a duty on widgets then you are banjaxed in 2 weeks time. If Hammond was cute he'd pick a couple of things that would put the heat under the DUP to vote against "no deal".

Strange times.

But we know agriculture is fucked and so do they... It's totally crazy.

Another referendum is the only way to go but Corbyn has fucked that out because he's a Brexiteer. It's an absolute shambles!!!

Eamonnca1

Here's what I don't understand. How come the leavers are so well organized in Parliament? They even have a name, ERG, and something of a structure and a brand going. How come the remainers can't get their sh1t together the same way? The independent group, the Lib Dems, the SNP, the others, and the remainer Tories should surely be able to get together and form a coherent group with a bit of strategy behind it. It's not like there's any point in waiting for Corbyn to show any leadership in that direction.

Solo_run

This is what I am not getting, how are the DUP continually blaming SF for the collapse of power-sharing when it was the DUP that caused it with them continual f*ck ups!

armaghniac

maybe we should invite  Boris and Arlene to the Armagh/Fermanagh game in Cross'

yellowcard

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 12, 2019, 10:53:22 PM
Here's what I don't understand. How come the leavers are so well organized in Parliament? They even have a name, ERG, and something of a structure and a brand going. How come the remainers can't get their sh1t together the same way? The independent group, the Lib Dems, the SNP, the others, and the remainer Tories should surely be able to get together and form a coherent group with a bit of strategy behind it. It's not like there's any point in waiting for Corbyn to show any leadership in that direction.

You cannot be serious!

moysider

Corbyn is a Brexiteer as well. I'm a bit confused here. The people voted to leave. The leavers have democracy in their favour. No point having a vote if you don't respect the result. At the end of the day that is the bottom line.
There is no way Government can ignore the result of a referendum - even if that result causes problems unforeseen.
The impasse now is not something the voters factored in I suspect. Saying that if there was a second ref. I think leave would win again tbh. It's human nature to get entrenched. May would be scapegoated, and the people would be reassured likes of Boris would put EU and Ireland in their place kind of shite, and UK would leave on their own terms. That would be the spin on things imo.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: yellowcard on March 12, 2019, 11:45:21 PM

You cannot be serious!

I'm deadly serious.

"The ERG acts as a party within a party. It has its own chief whip (Mark Francois) as well as its own leader (Mr Rees-Mogg) and deputy (Steve Baker). It meets regularly to decide its line and sends delegations to Downing Street to lay down the law to the prime minister. ERG members increasingly identify themselves as ERGers rather than mere Conservatives when they appear on television."

https://www.economist.com/britain/2019/02/28/the-group-that-broke-british-politics

imtommygunn

Quote from: armaghniac on March 12, 2019, 10:39:03 PM

I doubt it. Has Hermon?

Not the point. Yet another bare faced lie by Johnson no doubt.

imtommygunn

Eamonn the question is not why are the remainers so well organised it's why the leavers are not.

I suspect it's all  different reasons for leaving ranging from make the country great to I can make a fortune on this even if other people suffer and there will be some legitimate reasons in there. Somewhere.