Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: omaghjoe on December 02, 2017, 03:58:55 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 02, 2017, 07:41:38 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on December 02, 2017, 06:18:57 AM
For what it's worth after a lot of deliberation  I voted remain.I know of many Catholics up here who voted leave though.

I do share a lot of the Brexiteers concerns though,including mass immigration which has turned a once respectable part of my home town into a ghetto with a huge crime rate,loss of sovereignty,needless bureaucracy and over regulation.
Immigration is a function of neoliberalism,  Tony. The onlyway to grow the economy when everything goes to the top is to have more people.
People don't know this. So they blame immigration for everything

That is true no matter what type of tested economy you have, tho you could also increase the birth rate.....and up a quota on upward social mobility
Joe

If there were payrises there wouldnt be any need for immigration

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on December 02, 2017, 06:42:50 PM
For what it's worth after a lot of deliberation  I voted remain.I know of many Catholics up here who voted leave though.

I do share a lot of the Brexiteers concerns though,including mass immigration which has turned a once respectable part of my home town into a ghetto with a huge crime rate,loss of sovereignty,needless bureaucracy and over regulation.
Immigration is a function of neoliberalism,  Tony. The onlyway to grow the economy when everything goes to the top is to have more people.

That is true no matter what type of tested economy you have, tho you could also increase the birth rate.....and up a quota on upward social mobility
Joe

Never become an economist Seafoid.

balladmaker

QuoteThey probably see this as an opportunity to move what they view as an economic basket case nearer to being someone else's problem.

The only reason is it a basket case is because of partition, and generations of neglect by its ruling masters in London.  Remove partition and the north will thrive, as will the whole of the island.  A united Ireland is probably not the best term for it given it's connotations to our Unionist neighbours, a 'new' Ireland might be more appropriate where the northern Irish Protestant community will have close to 20% representation vs the current 2% in the UK.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on December 02, 2017, 06:44:23 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 02, 2017, 06:42:50 PM

Joe

Never become an economist Seafoid.
Tell us what you know about demand Syf.
Are you the only primrose neolib.?

Hereiam

Just looked into what Ireland buys from the brits and it turns out that the latest import from them is Oil. Now this is why the brits say that Ireland will suffer if the mess with them.

imtommygunn

It's only the dup wishes really need messed with though. The brits don't care that much.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hereiam on December 02, 2017, 09:37:15 PM
Just looked into what Ireland buys from the brits and it turns out that the latest import from them is Oil. Now this is why the brits say that Ireland will suffer if the mess with them.

Surely through the the EU Ireland can buy it from another country? And that's a stupid threat as Ireland won't be trading with Britain anyways!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hereiam

U would think that but there must be something that we the stupid public dont know

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 02, 2017, 09:41:36 PM

Surely through the the EU Ireland can buy it from another country? And that's a stupid threat as Ireland won't be trading with Britain anyways!

The UK had a trade surplus with the ROI because a lot of stuff it routed that way. So part of the UK's deficit with other places is the surplus with Ireland.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

I like the way that Leo Varadkar has stood up to the unionists and the brits. Keep it up son!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

tiempo

Rockall will be annexed at the opportune moment.

Real Talk

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 02, 2017, 05:04:02 PM
Genuine question. If the DUP didn’t hold the balance of power in the British govt, do you think the Tories would see this as an opportunity to dump the North? Or do they really love us after all?

The British will never give up N Ireland under any circumstances ....

StGallsGAA

Quote from: Real Talk on December 03, 2017, 12:22:36 AM
Genuine question. If the DUP didn't hold the balance of power in the British govt, do you think the Tories would see this as an opportunity to dump the North? Or do they really love us after all?

British as Finchley... ;)

Rossfan

If the people of Finchley vote to join another State they can.
They also have Waterways Finchey. ......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Real Talk on December 03, 2017, 12:22:36 AM
Genuine question. If the DUP didn't hold the balance of power in the British govt, do you think the Tories would see this as an opportunity to dump the North? Or do they really love us after all?

I am surprised anyone could genuinely have such a severely incorrect assumption about Britain's interest in keeping the north of Ireland.