Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: longballin on December 01, 2017, 10:27:14 AM
Loving the DUP-British government meltdown on Brexit... Sinn Fein no notion of going back into Stormont; they're lapping this up.
Dodds came across as a complete moron on the view there last night.
They haven't a notion if they are coming or going
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

GJL

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 01, 2017, 09:06:57 AM
Quote from: GJL on December 01, 2017, 08:47:26 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on December 01, 2017, 08:38:18 AM
Arlene, Sammy and Co are now playing senior hurling as the saying goes.

They're in bed with May and the pro brexiteers who ultimately don't give a f**k for the North and with Varadkar making large noises in the south about vetoing anything resembling a hard border and pushing for the North to have special dispensation to stay in the customs union.
This would mean a defacto border down the Irish sea, maintained at the various ports and sea crossings, a big no no for Arlene and the DUP's as that would make Norn Iron different from the rest of the UK.
Not sure of threatening to pull the plug on the May majority in the house of commons would be a good move as if that forces a general election the Tory's have to quickly come up with a credible leader or Jeremy the Red will get in and that will definitely mean a soft brexit and said Irish Sea border.

High stakes poker for the DUP all of their own doing.

High stakes indeed and I must say I'm enjoying watching it unroll.

It is becoming evident that the quality of politician in the south is way above that of the North.

Have you heard what happened with the whistleblower fiasco? I'd say they are equally shit

I did of course but I just think that Varadkar and Coveney are playing the whole Brexit thing very well so far.

johnneycool

They're in bed with May and the pro brexiteers who ultimately don't give a f**k for the North and with Varadkar making large noises in the south about vetoing anything resembling a hard border and pushing for the North to have special dispensation to stay in the customs union.
This would mean a defacto border down the Irish sea, maintained at the various ports and sea crossings, a big no no for Arlene and the DUP's as that would make Norn Iron different from the rest of the UK.
Not sure of threatening to pull the plug on the May majority in the house of commons would be a good move as if that forces a general election the Tory's have to quickly come up with a credible leader or Jeremy the Red will get in and that will definitely mean a soft brexit and said Irish Sea border.

It is becoming evident that the quality of politician in the south is way above that of the North.

The Southern politicians wheeled out like Varadker and Coveney are smooth looking operators compared to Arlene, Sammy and Nige, but then again its hardly a high standard.
There's loads of parish pump politicians in the Dáil as well, its just that they're well enough hidden from international eyes but every once in a while a Healy Rae or a Michael Lowry gets a bit of limelight to show that there's eejits in there as well.
Our eejits are now front and centre and making dicks of themselves.
The northern shinners are no better, but have enough wit to keep their heads down and let the DUP implode.

seafoid

The DUP are facing a constitutional crisis type situation. The Pols down south are not. But there is also the prod brain drain element. Name another governing party with people of the calibre of Sammy and Gregor in leadership positions.  It is like the Faroe Islands soccer team.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/11/29/irelands-threat-veto-brexit-nightmare-come-true/

seafoid

There is a reason they call it senior hurling

https://youtu.be/6f7oIJVVCLA

Rossfan

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 01, 2017, 10:34:05 AM
Loving the DUP-British government meltdown on Brexit... Sinn Fein no notion of going back into Stormont; they're lapping this up.
When your entire political career consisted of bullying hectoring and threatening to unleash the UDA as you wrap the Unionist "fleg" around you.....you're not in much shape for the real world of dealing with the issues of 500 million people.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on December 01, 2017, 10:59:09 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 01, 2017, 10:34:05 AM
When your entire political career consisted of bullying hectoring and threatening to unleash the UDA as you wrap the Unionist "fleg" around you.....you're not in much shape for the real world of dealing with the issues of 500 million people.
The DUP remind me of the fall of the Byzantine empire.

Boycey

Quote from: seafoid on December 01, 2017, 10:46:48 AM
The DUP are facing a constitutional crisis type situation. The Pols down south are not. But there is also the prod brain drain element. Name another governing party with people of the calibre of Sammy and Gregor in leadership positions.  It is like the Faroe Islands soccer team.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/11/29/irelands-threat-veto-brexit-nightmare-come-true/

Maybe you would paste copy and paste that article up, its behind a paywall.

Declan

Best comment I've seen on the Brexit issue

Asked what she knows about the Irish Border, lady in Worthing says "he's not actually a boarder, he rents my basement flat and he seems very nice @BBCNewsnight :D :D

seafoid

Quote from: Boycey on December 01, 2017, 11:11:30 AM
Quote from: seafoid on December 01, 2017, 10:46:48 AM

Maybe you would paste copy and paste that article up, its behind a paywall.
I don't have a subscription. I just read the headlines. More slapstick than Benny Hill.

The Telegraph is nuts.

https://youtu.be/tNBL5OMeuno

yellowcard

Quote from: GJL on December 01, 2017, 10:36:55 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 01, 2017, 09:06:57 AM

Have you heard what happened with the whistleblower fiasco? I'd say they are equally shit

I did of course but I just think that Varadkar and Coveney are playing the whole Brexit thing very well so far.

I'd be be no fan of FG but I agree that Coveney in particular has done very well so far in that role. That said, I would hold fort to see what the final deal is surrounding the border issue. 

Applesisapples

Quote from: johnneycool on December 01, 2017, 10:42:11 AM

The Southern politicians wheeled out like Varadker and Coveney are smooth looking operators compared to Arlene, Sammy and Nige, but then again its hardly a high standard.
There's loads of parish pump politicians in the Dáil as well, its just that they're well enough hidden from international eyes but every once in a while a Healy Rae or a Michael Lowry gets a bit of limelight to show that there's eejits in there as well.
Our eejits are now front and centre and making dicks of themselves.
The northern shinners are no better, but have enough wit to keep their heads down and let the DUP implode.
And do you know what, that is Irish politics north and south it is what really makes OWC totally different to the UK.

T Fearon

At last the Freestate experiences Unionist obdurance,intransigence,ignorance,lack of respect,first hand.Perhaps they will now begin to understand what Northern nationalists have had to put up with and spell the end for apologists like Dudley-Edwards,Harris etc

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on December 01, 2017, 02:45:59 PM
At last the Freestate experiences Unionist obdurance,intransigence,ignorance,lack of respect,first hand.Perhaps they will now begin to understand what Northern nationalists have had to put up with and spell the end for apologists like Dudley-Edwards,Harris etc

Dudley-Edwards, Harris, and yourself.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

350,000 DUPUDA  v 400,000,000 Europeans.
They'll need more than Harris, Diddly Dudly or Tony on their side.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM