Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/19/brexit-tolerant-brtain-known-northern-ireland-peace

I come from a country where the ravages of historical division, and the sectarian violence that inevitably follows, are not such a distant memory. The paramilitary organisations of Northern Ireland are largely quiet now, but the structures that have allowed for this transformation are still febrile.
Irish, British and Northern Irish politicians have worked tirelessly for peace, for years, in order to provide Northern Ireland's wounded communities with a chance to move beyond the hurt of their divided histories. Those communities themselves have sacrificed much so their future generations may be free of the poisonous cycle of violence and terror. That this delicate, hard-won and harder-maintained web of hope has been so carelessly, thoughtlessly jeopardised by a handful of bloviating careerists unashamed to fan fear and division in British society in order to achieve their personal ambitions is a disgrace they will forever bear.

maddog

Quote from: seafoid on October 19, 2016, 10:37:52 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/19/brexit-tolerant-brtain-known-northern-ireland-peace

I come from a country where the ravages of historical division, and the sectarian violence that inevitably follows, are not such a distant memory. The paramilitary organisations of Northern Ireland are largely quiet now, but the structures that have allowed for this transformation are still febrile.
Irish, British and Northern Irish politicians have worked tirelessly for peace, for years, in order to provide Northern Ireland's wounded communities with a chance to move beyond the hurt of their divided histories. Those communities themselves have sacrificed much so their future generations may be free of the poisonous cycle of violence and terror. That this delicate, hard-won and harder-maintained web of hope has been so carelessly, thoughtlessly jeopardised by a handful of bloviating careerists unashamed to fan fear and division in British society in order to achieve their personal ambitions is a disgrace they will forever bear.

I am sure Boris, Fox and co will be tossing and turning all night thinking about it. I think if it was rerun in the morning it would be 60%+ remain. What about this legal challenge ? I take it the gist of it is that your rights as an EU citizen enshrined in law were given by parliament so can only be taken away by parliament.

ballinaman

Not sure if posted before....oh dear-ism

https://youtu.be/3UstNBrmJFc

muppet

I think we should do what the leave campaign did and tell the 'truth'.

Brexit means:

Leaving the Champions League, 6 Nations, European Championships and that Germans get priority for sun beds, along with all EU citizens, over Brits.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on October 19, 2016, 01:13:02 PM
I think we should do what the remain campaign did and tell the 'truth'.

Brexit means:

Leaving the Champions League, 6 Nations, European Championships and that Germans get priority for sun beds, along with all EU citizens, over Brits.
- You are stuck with British birds
- a restricted gene pool
-An even worse English football team
- paler children
- possibly smaller average tits

seafoid

"According to today's Guardian,  Labour MPs are to press the chancellor on the risks of Britain leaving the EU customs union, after the Guardian revealed Whitehall estimates showing it could knock 4.5% off GDP.
Trade flows and foreign investment would also be hit hard by leaving the customs union, according to figures calculated for the Guardian on the same basis as those prepared by civil servants for the government's Brexit committee. The pro-EU think tank Open Britain used studies by the National Institute for Economic and Social Research, the Treasury and the London School of Economics to suggest trade could decline by almost 12% and foreign investment by 10%, or more than £4bn, if Britain left the customs union.
Ministers were also warned at the Brexit committee that if leaving the customs union meant enhanced border checks, it could clog up Britain's ports.
The paper on the customs union warned ministers that to stand still in trade terms after a withdrawal from the bloc, the UK would need to grow trade with its 10 largest partners outside the EU by 37% by 2030.
The Guardian also carried comments from the UK Chamber of Shipping and the Freight Transport Association, the former predicting "profound traffic problems"."

armaghniac

Watching Yanis Varoufakis on Questions and Answers, he made the obvious point that there are many Brexits and that if Brexit is for the purpose of empowering Westminister then the parliament must decide the appropriate Brexit, not someone in a back room.

A very clear contribution among the bollix from the audience.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

A hard Brexit means no environmental protection, no workers rights, reduced pensions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX8szNPgrEs

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on October 21, 2016, 10:52:19 AM
A hard Brexit means no environmental protection, no workers rights, reduced pensions

Tell Eamonn McCann and Gerry Carroll.

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on October 21, 2016, 10:55:29 AM
Quote from: seafoid on October 21, 2016, 10:52:19 AM

Tell Eamonn McCann and Gerry Carroll.
Read the Daily Express.

UK politics are now incoherent. Sides insulting each other. It is actually less mature than in NI which is really saying something

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on October 21, 2016, 11:56:15 AM
UK politics are now incoherent. Sides insulting each other. It is actually less mature than in NI which is really saying something

I wouldn't bet against a late run by the DUP to ensure that NI is in the running for the incoherent bollix competition.

heganboy

I think we are going to start to see some significant impact to the UKs position in the coming weeks. It has finally become public that the major employers in the city of London have been drafting exit and relocation strategy sessions.
Anthony Browne may well have been talking out of school but there will be no denials.
The legal challenges, from the north and in London, The public will and the dire economic impact for the next 5-10 years may yet prevent any Brexit at all.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

seafoid

Quote from: heganboy on October 22, 2016, 09:53:05 PM
I think we are going to start to see some significant impact to the UKs position in the coming weeks. It has finally become our local that the major employers in the city of London have been drafting exit and relocation strategy sessions.
Anthony Browne may well have been talking out of school but there will be no denials.
The legal challenges, from the north and in London, The public will and the dire economic impact for the next 5-10 years may yet prevent any Brexit at all.
I can't see how they can fund the NHS outside the EU.

armaghniac

Quote from: heganboy on October 22, 2016, 09:53:05 PM
I think we are going to start to see some significant impact to the UKs position in the coming weeks. It has finally become our local that the major employers in the city of London have been drafting exit and relocation strategy sessions.

There is a fair section of the Tories that wouldn't like to be out of step with this business group. The nature of any change is that those adversely affected always squeal loudest and various business interests are giving these MPs heat by now.

It would be great if the NI case found some legal impediment.  In a strange way some Tory MPs, under pressure behind the scenes from business interests, might find it more advantageous to latch on the GFA as the excuse to bin Brexit.