Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on August 15, 2016, 04:05:02 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 15, 2016, 02:21:56 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on August 15, 2016, 01:09:10 PM
Big week for the UK, a lot of 'post brexit' data due. Just reading there about Retail sales in the period expected to be very good, would expect a Sterling currency bounce if true. Plenty of other factors to negate that I'm sure but sterling's  bound to be in the bottomed out zone now (especially with plenty of Eurozone woes).

Sterling down half a cent this morning, so it might pause sometime soon. I'm not sure that more retail sales should cause a bounce, it just means more imports and a bigger trade deficit.
All about the great Economic intangible - Confidence  (presumably).

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

Consumer confidence.

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on August 15, 2016, 06:16:40 PM
Consumer confidence.

I suspect Theresa May doesn't want too much confidence, right now. A little bit of apprehension would facilitate moulding things in a direction that Farage might not approve of. And if that were followed by a rebound in consumer confidence before the next general election, then so much the better.

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on August 15, 2016, 06:16:40 PM
Consumer confidence.
52% of consumers have no confidence in the system and voted for Brexit.

bennydorano

I'd say Consumer confidence is going to be monitored very carefully and be a very important indicator in these uncharted waters - cos nobody knows what's around the corner.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on August 15, 2016, 08:37:52 PM
I'd say Consumer confidence is going to be monitored very carefully and be a very important indicator in these uncharted waters - cos nobody knows what's around the corner.

But plenty people have an opinion of what's going to happen....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

UK unemployment falls in July.

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on August 18, 2016, 04:13:30 PM
EU could give Britain special status'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/brexit-latest-eu-uk-special-status-relationship-german-minister-a7194921.html?amp

I think this is the important bit though.
Asked whether Britain could enjoy free trade with the world's largest trading bloc while refusing to allow free movement of its citizens, Mr Roth said that was highly unlikely.

Britain may have a unique relationship with the EU, i.e. not a copy of Switzerland or Norway, but still on the same broad principles. And not copying someone else just increases the complexity of the negotiations.

seafoid

Brexit will make the UK poorer.
If brits got payrises there would be no need for migrants to boost growth.

bennydorano

I think if the UK agrees to help out financially (committed to bailout funds & the like) it'll get it's  sweetheart deal.

Rossfan

Once they keep buying German cars they have a good chance ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on August 18, 2016, 07:15:05 PM
I think if the UK agrees to help out financially (committed to bailout funds & the like) it'll get it's  sweetheart deal.

The EU would be unwise to give a deal that makes the Norway/Switzerland deals look bad, or a deal which effectively makes it a good idea to leave the EU. Britain cannot have its cake and eat it.

bennydorano

Well, we're going to find out at some point..... maybe

We're an Italian banking collapse away from the possible implosion of the EU, so the UK's hand could be worse. Let's remember that we're talking about the 5th biggest Economy in the world here, as much as people hate the British, they've a fair bit of clout.