Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: haranguerer on July 05, 2016, 08:20:27 AM
All this talk of why it shouldn't happen, why it'll never happen, how we can stop it happen, ignores the fact that it was a democratic decision. I was very much against Brexit, but I'm even more against anything that treads roughshod over democracy.

The attitude towards those who voted for Brexit (didn't know what they were voting for, knuckle draggers, racists, etc) is also pretty patronising - if the vote was re ran as is being suggested (!) tomorrow there still would be a very sizeable out vote - perhaps instead of dismissing them as crazies the sensible thing to do would be to actually try to understand where its coming from and why.

Agree 100% haranguerer, the vote was taken and the result should be respected, to do otherwise makes a mockery of democracy

Rossfan

And stuff the Scots and the 6 Co folks??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macdanger2

Quote from: Rossfan on July 05, 2016, 09:22:20 PM
And stuff the Scots and the 6 Co folks??

The vote was taken by the UK as a whole. If NI & Scotland want out then maybe there should be a vote on that.

seafoid

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 05, 2016, 09:14:18 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on July 05, 2016, 08:20:27 AM
All this talk of why it shouldn't happen, why it'll never happen, how we can stop it happen, ignores the fact that it was a democratic decision. I was very much against Brexit, but I'm even more against anything that treads roughshod over democracy.

The attitude towards those who voted for Brexit (didn't know what they were voting for, knuckle draggers, racists, etc) is also pretty patronising - if the vote was re ran as is being suggested (!) tomorrow there still would be a very sizeable out vote - perhaps instead of dismissing them as crazies the sensible thing to do would be to actually try to understand where its coming from and why.

Agree 100% haranguerer, the vote was taken and the result should be respected, to do otherwise makes a mockery of democracy
People were lied to. Democracy is on a shaky scraw anyway.

Franko

Haranguerer and macdanger, do you live in the 6 co's?

macdanger2

Quote from: Franko on July 05, 2016, 09:31:57 PM

No

armaghniac

In relation to NI, what was required was a simple statement that any changes there would be agreed and in the spirit of the Good Friday Agreement. There was been no such statement.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

LeoMc

Quote from: armaghniac on July 05, 2016, 09:41:33 PM
In relation to NI, what was required was a simple statement that any changes there would be agreed and in the spirit of the Good Friday Agreement. There was been no such statement.
What was required was a clear definition of the terms of the referendum. All we can really say is that
1. There was no plan for a leave vote, not even how it would be enacted.
2. It was a UK wide vote
3. It was not legally binding

Unfortunately what we have now is a UK wide decision to leave with no plans in how to do so.
To ignore the UK wide majority, however it was arrived at, would be a greater set back for democracy and civil society than to not at least lay out the terms of departure, ensuring those terms could not be met.

screenexile

Quote from: BennyCake on July 05, 2016, 04:11:12 PM
I don't know about the 350 million. Don't really care either. But I'm sure Remain were 100% honest.

I believe there will be another vote and Remain will win. They will scare people into Remain. Therefore, democracy is bollix, and all these elections/referendums are based on fear. For that is how they'll always control people - fear.

What do you mean scare people into Remain??? They haven't even left yet and Sterling has tanked, funds aren't allowing withdrawals, the BoE are on the back foot, construction is headed for the toilet and the country is going full steam into a recession AS PREDICTED BY THE REMAIN CAMPAIGN!!!

Surely special measures can be taken to save the people from themselves if even for the rest of us who have a couple of brain cells who don't deserve to suffer on the back of this!

BennyCake

Quote from: screenexile on July 05, 2016, 10:22:24 PM
I don't know about the 350 million. Don't really care either. But I'm sure Remain were 100% honest.

I believe there will be another vote and Remain will win. They will scare people into Remain. Therefore, democracy is bollix, and all these elections/referendums are based on fear. For that is how they'll always control people - fear.

What do you mean scare people into Remain??? They haven't even left yet and Sterling has tanked, funds aren't allowing withdrawals, the BoE are on the back foot, construction is headed for the toilet and the country is going full steam into a recession AS PREDICTED BY THE REMAIN CAMPAIGN!!!

Surely special measures can be taken to save the people from themselves if even for the rest of us who have a couple of brain cells who don't deserve to suffer on the back of this!

Scare them into voting Remain in another referendum.

The economy's fecked? The country's fecked? Cuts everywhere? All that has happened before, and it didn't take a referendum to f**k the place! Had Remain won, the place would've still be fecked!

imtommygunn

People lie all the time in ele tion campaigns. Cameron reneged on promises about 5 minutes after scotland voted to stay in the uk. All you hear is constant tax cutting promises then you had the lib dems and students etc.

This is different. A campaign was made with one objective - to leave the eu. The campaigners didn't even have a plan.

This should never have went to vote and as someone said a large majority shpuld have been required.

There probably will be no turning back now and ultimately there shouldn't be as democracy rules etc but they have really screwed us over big time. It is the way of the world but seeing farage and other ukip meps lifting a large salary make me sick. It's disgusting. Victory for the common man he says.

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyCake on July 05, 2016, 10:29:38 PM
The economy's fecked? The country's fecked? Cuts everywhere? All that has happened before, and it didn't take a referendum to f**k the place! Had Remain won, the place would've still be fecked!

That's a bit pointless, like going into the doctor and justifying the fags and the sausages because your health wouldn't be perfect anyway. There would have been problems anyway, Brexit made it worse.

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 05, 2016, 10:30:19 PM
This should never have went to vote and as someone said a large majority shpuld have been required.

I'm not sure about this large majority thing, Scotland should become independent or NI cease to be a colony with 50%. The difference lies that in NI and Scotland people have long thought about such things, in the case of Brexit it wasn't of much interest to people in general and they rather irresponsibly refused to give it any real thought. Had people given it real thought they would have sent Leave away and told them to produce a proper plan.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Nigel White

Quote from: Franko on July 05, 2016, 09:31:57 PM
Do you live in the 26co's?

muppet

3 property investment funds have stopped redemptions in quick succession. There is a time limit on how long they can do this until they have to pay out. I have read the limit is 28 days is the limit, but maybe each fund has its own set of rules. If more funds do the same, and the time limits begin to expire, there will be a lot of property needing to be liquidated quickly. We have seen this before in Ireland.

Aviva quotes "extraordinary market circumstances".

This adds real market uncertainty to the political uncertainty.

Then, the Bank of England acted today by reducing the burden of Capital Demands on its banks. It said the following:

"The UK has entered a period of uncertainty and significant economic adjustment.

The efforts of the Bank of England will not be able fully and immediately to offset the market and economic volatility that can be expected while this adjustment proceeds."

The Guardian added the following:

The BoE isn't sitting on its hands. Slashing the 'counter-cyclical capital reserves' will help banks to pump £150bn of extra lending into the economy.

But Carney also warned that this will only work if businesses and individuals actually want to borrow.

If property funds start offloading property, the UK banks' balance sheets are going to suffer, so surely Carney is merely giving them some room to absorb that? Surely he doesn't really believe (after all that has happened in the last 8 years) that, mid-crisis, the banks will start lending again and this will lead the UK out of trouble?
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

Quote from: BennyCake on July 05, 2016, 10:29:38 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 05, 2016, 10:22:24 PM

Scare them into voting Remain in another referendum.

No... Untrue! The Sterling and Euro would both have risen to their strongest positions in a while, the BoE would not be shitting themselves and we would not be heading for a recession. The economy was in a reasonably strong position just before the Vote and would have consolidated that had we remained!