Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man Marker

These college all stars year after year are a joke. Trials to get one  ;D, no such thing as picking players who produce the goods in the big games, how fcuked up can you get a process.

The Brick

I remember mark lynch not being able to be selected for all stars one year due to a (harsh) sending off with his club Banagher. If I remember correctly I don't think paddy Bradley received an all star either

yellowcard

Don't think Kieran McGeeney got one either.

theticklemister

Ah now kounty!!! Dont be spouting yer partionist views on here.

In recent years derry have had a poor return. In the 90s however they were very much successful.

theticklemister

Quote from: kounty on December 15, 2012, 10:19:11 PM
whos the ticklemister

Well known, popular, successful, respected and articulate poster.

Current poster of the year as voted by in the derry gaa board awards of the year  by fellow derry posters.

Walter Cronc

He's the reason us SD Gaels have to travel to the white elephant.

theticklemister

He sounds like quite a guy , a legend so to speak.

Walter I heard a rumour that celtic park is hosting all the nfl games, what ye think about that?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: theticklemister on December 15, 2012, 10:53:53 PM
He sounds like quite a guy , a legend so to speak.

Walter I heard a rumour that celtic park is hosting all the nfl games, what ye think about that?

Don't get ahead of yourself ;)

Jeez and there was me thinking the new ground in Owenbeg was being used for some!

Line Ball

Quote from: kounty on December 15, 2012, 10:02:49 PM
why do the derry schools get so  many
and who picks the teams

Tony Scullion, enough said.  If you are from Derry or are involved with his Ulster U.16 squad then you are guaranteed one.

Also
If you are from a lower level school not playing Macrory, if you are a dual player, if you are a big star on a wee team, if you won an All ireland for your county team last Summer, if you are going to Australia, if you get on your county senior or U.21 squad, if your Da is on the colleges committee, if you won an All Star the year before, if you are the son of a famous inter county star then you are also guaranteed one.

Not relevant
Playing well at these trials or more importantly, winning the Macrory Cup.

Line Ball

Quote from: Line Ball on December 15, 2012, 11:10:03 PM
Quote from: kounty on December 15, 2012, 10:02:49 PM
why do the derry schools get so  many
and who picks the teams

Tony Scullion, enough said.  If you are from Derry or are involved with his Ulster U.16 squad then you are guaranteed one.

Also
If you are from a lower level school not playing Macrory, if you are a dual player, if you are a big star on a wee team, if you won an All ireland for your county team last Summer, if you are going to Australia, if you get on your county senior or U.21 squad, if your Da is on the colleges committee, if you won an All Star the year before, if you are the son of a famous inter county star then you are also guaranteed one.

Not relevant
Playing well at these trials or more importantly, winning the Macrory Cup.

Quote from: hardstation on December 15, 2012, 11:11:29 PM
Is that for football only?

Sorry, I should have added that the dual player is also at a distinct advantage as well.  Da being on the committee also helps here also.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Line Ball

Yes, I know but the colleges love giving All stars to dual players.  It doesn't really matter if they can only play either hurling or football-as long as they turn up to trials and can swing a hurl or kick a ball, being able to do both means they can pick up two All stars and the colleges get great publicity from this.

Awarding of All stars is rarely about performance.

yellowcard

McRory Quarter Finals

Dungannon v St McCartans
St Colmans v Omagh
Abbey v Bessbrook
Enniskillen v Maghera

Big derby game with St Pauls Bessbrook and Abbey is the pick of thegames.

Would expect Dungannon, Omagh, Bessbrook, & Maghera to win.

rodney trotter

What is the idea for having a trail for the All Stars? Not like they are being selected for a County panel. Obvious thing is to announce the All Stars at the end of the compeitition in March.

rodney trotter

Fair enough, St Pats Cavan have been playing B McGlarnon the last few years. Played in the Leinster A competition for a few years 04/06 as there isn't a age gap like the Northern Schools. Got a lot of heavy beating in MacRory level.

They are doing well in the McGlarnon this year and are in the quarter finals asaik. Might be in with a shout of a All Stars if they keep up the form.