Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: MoChara on November 28, 2018, 09:24:59 AM
Quote from: awideisneverasgood on November 28, 2018, 09:19:53 AM
QuoteYou've missed my point completely.

As a side note; anyone who doesn't wash fruit and vegetables before eating them is going to get ill.

Washing fruit and veg might remove some dirt but its not going to get rid of e-coli (unless you use bleach which I wouldnt advise)

We could chlorinate it?
The big issue with US food, apart from the pesticides, chemicals and processes is the subsidies. The US is a low wage economy and farmers are subsidised to a degree that our farmers could only dream about. Canada had to place tarriffs of over 200% on US food imports to level the playing field. Any Free Trade Agreement with Trump's US will not fly without a no tariff deal on US agricultural imports, that will destroy the NI farming industry. That is before we get in to New Zealand lamb and diary and genetically modified grain.

trailer

As a side note; anyone who doesn't wash fruit and vegetables before eating them is going to get ill.

Washing fruit and veg might remove some dirt but its not going to get rid of e-coli (unless you use bleach which I wouldnt advise)

We're getting way of my original point which was that people were drawing a straight line from Brexit to a massive US free trade deal to millions of tonnes of Chlorinated Chicken and Steroids in Beef being dumped into the UK food chain and everyone munching it down. I even went as far to point out that people have no understanding of what they are against regarding chlorinated chicken. They are jumping on some food standards bandwagon.
It's the exact same as those on the leave side who said the EU would give the UK a massive free trade deal because of BMWs and Champagne. It's utterly stupid, sensationalist, hyperbole. I am not in favour of Brexit at all but we need just a little bit of perspective and stop peddling complete shite.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on November 28, 2018, 09:24:03 AM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on November 27, 2018, 01:26:48 PM
Her worst legacy will be losing the Assembly. 

They have give a free reign to Shinners for last two years.  Shown up for intolerance on rights and language badly.   Brexit and their Tory agreement enhanced that.  Taking a crack at farmers and business over their genuine concerns another own goal.

Even Peter Robinson and others can see that demographics are working against them and they need to adjust

She needed to be a leader of unionism that reached out.  Unionism needs to bring people into their house, not drive them out.   Even her "reach out" efforts earlier this summer seemed contrived and tapered out once the Brexit mud-slinging started.

The long term trends mean that stalemate is actually helping nationalism.   I can understand that why herself, Sammy Wilson etc can't see that but surely there is someone in that party (or these all powerful SPADS?) that has an ounce of strategic thinking.

I suspect jumping on Brexit to show how British they are will prove the most short-sighted strategy possible.

/Jim.

The sad thing is I can't see any of that impacting their vote. It might cause some degree of outrage and disgust with their voting base now but when it comes to polling day in the next elections they just can't bring themselves to put that X anywhere else.

100% this. It is one of the reasons why I have become so disillusioned with local politics.

On top of this there is no Assembly in place, and vital services around Health and Education are at absolute breaking point, although the blame for that does not lie solely with the DUP. 

johnnycool

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on November 28, 2018, 10:06:00 AM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on November 28, 2018, 09:24:03 AM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on November 27, 2018, 01:26:48 PM
Her worst legacy will be losing the Assembly. 

They have give a free reign to Shinners for last two years.  Shown up for intolerance on rights and language badly.   Brexit and their Tory agreement enhanced that.  Taking a crack at farmers and business over their genuine concerns another own goal.

Even Peter Robinson and others can see that demographics are working against them and they need to adjust

She needed to be a leader of unionism that reached out.  Unionism needs to bring people into their house, not drive them out.   Even her "reach out" efforts earlier this summer seemed contrived and tapered out once the Brexit mud-slinging started.

The long term trends mean that stalemate is actually helping nationalism.   I can understand that why herself, Sammy Wilson etc can't see that but surely there is someone in that party (or these all powerful SPADS?) that has an ounce of strategic thinking.

I suspect jumping on Brexit to show how British they are will prove the most short-sighted strategy possible.

/Jim.

The sad thing is I can't see any of that impacting their vote. It might cause some degree of outrage and disgust with their voting base now but when it comes to polling day in the next elections they just can't bring themselves to put that X anywhere else.

100% this. It is one of the reasons why I have become so disillusioned with local politics.

On top of this there is no Assembly in place, and vital services around Health and Education are at absolute breaking point, although the blame for that does not lie solely with the DUP.

I wouldn't be mad to get the likes of the DUP and the Shinners back in positions of power in Stormont as if anything can be learned from the RHI scandal is that neither these ministers, SPAD's and high ranking civil servants have the first notion on how to run anything of even the most base level of complexity.
Most are lifelong politicians and their hand picked lackies with no idea of anything in any sector you talk about.
The Senior Civil servants are off the jolly hockey sticks set, happy to blindly follow orders and not to do anything that may impact on their careers. Some who will come out of the RHI nonsense badly have been promoted FFS.

Applesisapples

Quote from: trailer on November 28, 2018, 09:56:17 AM

We're getting way of my original point which was that people were drawing a straight line from Brexit to a massive US free trade deal to millions of tonnes of Chlorinated Chicken and Steroids in Beef being dumped into the UK food chain and everyone munching it down. I even went as far to point out that people have no understanding of what they are against regarding chlorinated chicken. They are jumping on some food standards bandwagon.
It's the exact same as those on the leave side who said the EU would give the UK a massive free trade deal because of BMWs and Champagne. It's utterly stupid, sensationalist, hyperbole. I am not in favour of Brexit at all but we need just a little bit of perspective and stop peddling complete shite.
It is not a question of dumping. US will insist on free access as part of a FTA which will undercut local farmers, the quantity will be decided by demand.

RedHand88

Aaron Boone

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 28, 2018, 11:54:01 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46366162

The beginning of the end for the Brexiteers?
Strangely the Daily Mail is backing Tessie May's deal. It's MP's that are out of touch is the theme.

armaghniac

The Daily Mail has a new editor, it has returned to planet Earth.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on November 28, 2018, 11:49:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uAounOTBYw

Ahh Jasus.
Fair enough, I give me.
Brexit means farmers out of a job, steroids in our beef, chlorine chickens, Ecoli in our lettuce and maggots in our fruit. Everyone happy now?

How do Americans survive?

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on November 28, 2018, 01:08:07 PM

Ahh Jasus.
Fair enough, I give me.
Brexit means farmers out of a job, steroids in our beef, chlorine chickens, Ecoli in our lettuce and maggots in our fruit. Everyone happy now?

Badly, especially the poor;

https://stateofobesity.org/data/

American food standards are a race to the bottom as the large lobby groups from these sectors wield far too much power.

trailer

Quote from: johnnycool on November 28, 2018, 01:12:51 PM

Ahh Jasus.
Fair enough, I give me.

American food standards are a race to the bottom as the large lobby groups from these sectors wield far too much power.

Home come 1/3 of children in the UK are obese?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/childhood-obesity-a-plan-for-action/childhood-obesity-a-plan-for-action

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on November 28, 2018, 01:17:50 PM

Ahh Jasus.
Fair enough, I give me.

Home come 1/3 of children in the UK are obese?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/childhood-obesity-a-plan-for-action/childhood-obesity-a-plan-for-action

Lazy ass parents feeding their kids crap food.. and the fact that shit food is cheaper than actually making a dinner with natural ingredients .. But mainly lazy parents :)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Chicago Hurling

Ahh Jasus.
Fair enough, I give me.

In the states it's called body shaming if you say they're surviving badly so you can't point out this problem.

But more seriously it has to do a lot with food deserts as well. In The inner cities a lot of decent grocery stores refuse to open thus making the locals have no other options but the crap you get at corner stores, dollar stores, etc where you end up with the horrible quality of food.
Chicago -> Milwaukee -> Galway

Mayo for Sam

north_antrim_hound

The Obesity problem is separate to the foods standards dilemma after brexit, I just hope our food standards are still aligned with Europe if the backstop deal kicks in. Here is a small insight the the FSA's future plans

The FSA plans to change who conducts food safety inspections in the UK. It proposes to transfer responsibility for many food safety inspections and audits from the public sector to private commercial assurance providers. But those commercial firms will not primarily serve the public interest. They will focus on their food industry clients' interests, creating conflicts of interests between commercial inspectors and the consuming public.

This switch to commerce is precisely what the FSA was set up to end. We know, because we were heavily involved in the British debates over food scandals in the 1980s and 90s, which culminated in the Labour Party (then, as now, in opposition) promising to set up an independent food agency. It would confirm academic Marver Bernstein's theory that agencies set up to regulate industries are often subverted by the industry they were created to oversee.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets