FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Bord na Mona man

The pity is not so much that he declared for England, more that he played for Ireland and we could have nabbed him by capping him in a competitive fixture. From a purely selfish point of view, mind.

I wonder how many players in the past declared for Ireland and then regretted not holding out for the England call up when they realised they were good enough? I suspect one is Andy Townsend who recounted being in a holiday bar cheering for England against Ireland in Euro '88 and months later was togging out in green at Dalymount.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: LCohen on February 13, 2019, 09:30:46 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 13, 2019, 09:22:03 PM
Let him f**k off the bollix. I hope he ends up playing Jack grealish in the championship. All about the money. Forget him, move on with what we have.

Lad from England, born in England, of English parents developed through the English club system decides to play for England and this is your reaction?

You missed the bit about him having 30 irish caps, including 3 for the seniors

shark

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on February 14, 2019, 12:43:07 PM
The pity is not so much that he declared for England, more that he played for Ireland and we could have nabbed him by capping him in a competitive fixture. From a purely selfish point of view, mind.

I wonder how many players in the past declared for Ireland and then regretted not holding out for the England call up when they realised they were good enough? I suspect one is Andy Townsend who recounted being in a holiday bar cheering for England against Ireland in Euro '88 and months later was togging out in green at Dalymount.

Townsend played in 2 World Cups for Ireland. He probably wouldn't have made the England squad for Italia 90, and they didn't qualify in '94. Would have been an England regular from about 1991 until 1994 (when he was at his peak), but that's about it. He didn't lose out financially as he got his big money move at his peak to the then 2nd bast team in England, and made a tv career despite declaring for Ireland. Doubt he regrets it, but then again, how would I know!

Baile Brigín 2

Townsend is held up as the pinnacle of the Charlton envelope pushing. He didnt even know he had Irish roots. The black armband episode summed him up.

Chicago Hurling

So is the belief the rule is shit because people can switch or because the granny rule is too far removed to truly have allegiance to a country? I can't speak for every irish american but I'd be able to play in ireland (mom) usa (born) and italy (dads parents) and I'd play in that order respectively so there's plenty of people who'd play for ireland based on at least parent rule. But I fully believe that when you move up, friendlies or not, that should count as choosing your country.
Chicago -> Milwaukee -> Galway

Mayo for Sam

trailer

Dolph1

Quote from: Chicago Hurling on February 14, 2019, 02:53:05 PM
So is the belief the rule is shit because people can switch or because the granny rule is too far removed to truly have allegiance to a country? I can't speak for every irish american but I'd be able to play in ireland (mom) usa (born) and italy (dads parents) and I'd play in that order respectively so there's plenty of people who'd play for ireland based on at least parent rule. But I fully believe that when you move up, friendlies or not, that should count as choosing your country.

Eligibility is one thing. Underage you haven't had a chance to fully work it out for yourself who you would like to represent so moving between countries wouldn't be such a massive deal.

However in my opinion under 21's is when you should be old enough to have figured it out and is seen as the stepping stone to making a senior team. Once you declare for an under-21s team that should be it.
This could really benefit weaker countries as you have a guaranteed pipeline and know what you have to work on in the future.
Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

Baile Brigín 2

I dont think eligibility is the issue. Nationality can be nuanced. The issue is more that he was Irish, changed agent, strung us along, became English. Its a snakey, hungry call.

johnnycool

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 14, 2019, 03:08:02 PM

I dont think eligibility is the issue. Nationality can be nuanced. The issue is more that he was Irish, changed agent, strung us along, became English. Its a snakey, hungry call.

He was never Irish, he was British and played for the Rep of Ireland and now he wants to play for England.

Let it go lads before you sound as whiny as the IFA have done over the last number of years.

trailer

It's just soccer. It's typical soccer behaviour. It's what those people are. Out for themselves, no loyalty, lining their own pockets. Money. People should just let it go.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: johnnycool on February 14, 2019, 03:15:46 PM

He was never Irish, he was British and played for the Rep of Ireland and now he wants to play for England.

Let it go lads before you sound as whiny as the IFA have done over the last number of years.

Who is whining? Im happy its over, he should have been shown the door the minute he wavered.

If its ok with you people on a discussion forum would like to discuss things.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on February 14, 2019, 03:16:01 PM

It's just soccer. It's typical soccer behaviour. It's what those people are. Out for themselves, no loyalty, lining their own pockets. Money. People should just let it go.

Those people?

BennyCake

I'm glad he wasn't capped in a competitive match now. If he had been capped competitively, he would have been "stuck" playing for Ireland.

The way he's gone about it, playing in Ireland friendlies, then declaring for England. Well, that just shows you where his allegiance truly lies.

So, whatever. Lets concentrate on supporting the team and the players who really want to play for Ireland.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: BennyCake on February 14, 2019, 03:39:55 PM

I'm glad he wasn't capped in a competitive match now. If he had been capped competitively, he would have been "stuck" playing for Ireland.

The way he's gone about it, playing in Ireland friendlies, then declaring for England. Well, that just shows you where his allegiance truly lies.

So, whatever. Lets concentrate on supporting the team and the players who really want to play for Ireland.

I think he was perfectly happy to play for us. His utterences seemed that direction. The agent seems to be pulling strings here.